1985 Testarossa Tool Kit / Jack Kit Questions | FerrariChat

1985 Testarossa Tool Kit / Jack Kit Questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by enzosteve, Jun 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello

I am trying to itemized what I have for a 1985 testarossa:

1) Can someone show me a 1985 tool kit with all the pieces?

If anyone has a complete toolkit, I am interested.

2) What am I missing in the jack kit ?

I see the light bulb kit is missing some items. What would that be?

The lead hammer is smashed, should i get a new one?

There are some additional tools in the bag which you can see in pics below.

https://www.screencast.com/t/1KjkHHCL0u

https://www.screencast.com/t/HUceIEenrIt

3) What year did the testarossa get a leather suitcase filled with tools?

4) Was the emergency light part of the tool kit or was this an option only

https://www.screencast.com/t/A4saVlP6j6AN

Thanks for your help

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Go to Ebay and type in Testarossa Took kit. Do the same with your other questions and youll get an idea what is standard and what might be missing.

TR Tool kit;
    Ferrari Testarossa Tool Kit , 288 GTO, 412 - Tool Kit #123254

My 1990 has the emergency light, my 1991 did not.....probably lost by the previous owner.

3. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #3 Chief20123, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine is 86 from UK, doesn't have a lead hammer or pliers but has a spark plug spanner and emergency reflectors, not sure if the previous owner lost the lead hammer and included the spark plug spanner and emergency reflectors. The emergency light is included.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve

This is extremely helpful. Thank you!

5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #5 302Tim, Jun 13, 2017
    I can't open your pictures from my current location but the jack kit didn't change that much over the years--the single bolt/nut wheels had the lead hammer & octagonal wrench, the 88.5 cars on did not. The spare bulb holders were filled/configured for the different markets so there may be some (correct) holes not filled. The photos are from a later (1988.5) car for reference).

The warning triangle came in early (sometime before 1990) non-US cars. The 1990 SPC doesn't show it at all (for any market).

The emergency light was not an option, it came with all cars and was delivered in the glovebox.

The leather "box" toolkit came with the 512TR and F512M.

The tool roll bag was universally used on other Ferrari models and had different contents for the different models. In my 1988.5 case, there are two (maybe three, can't recall) correctly "empty" pockets--people often place the ratchet, extension and spark plug socket in those pockets but the SPC lists them as part of the jack kit. Also, my car came with two spare spark plugs (in the shrink-wrapped boxes) in the jack bag--I have seen many photos of kits with just the plugs (no boxes) also placed in the tool kit spare pockets--not sure what is correct as the SPC is a little vague--it doesn't show or list them in the 1990 SPC but does in the 1987 SPC (listed under jack bag contents)

The diagram is of pre-88.5 cars (from the 1987 SPC)

As for replacing your hammer, if your car is being judged a new replacement is fine as long as it is an authorized Ferrari replacement part--I believe even if it is cosmetically different, as long as it is the current "correct" replacement part for the car you are OK. I suppose an accurate reproduction is OK too. Best to check with a judge, our resident TR judge is "rifledriver". If you don't care about judging go ahead and replace it (just make sure the replacement is lead).

I can possibly help more when I can open your photos--I'll take a look tonight.

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #6 302Tim, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Can see photos now. Looks like you are missing:

1) jack extension
    2) towing eye
    3) AC & alternator belts, smog pump belt (if equipped)
    4) ratchet extension
    5) universal
    6) spark plugs
    7) maybe one bulb in fuse holder--again maybe not depending on year/market. The four small holes are where a fuse holder "shelf" fits in (it has four posts) but I'm not sure that ever came in these holders--most I have seen have the fuses tucked between the outer edge of the foam and the case. In other holders/cars the four holes are fitted with cylindrical fuses (not used on TR).
    8) foam in bulb holder (very common, turns to dust over time)
    9) fuses in bulb holder--never seen any documentation that lists quantity and amperage but I would think there would be (at least) one of each size required for your car (7.5A, 10A, 15A, 20A). The "C" shaped holder in the center is for a large Euro headlamp bulb so on non-Euro it is empty (some like to put a spark plug there). Fred's kit photo above shows that bulb.

Of all the above, most pieces do come up on eBay from time to time--Tony Randazzo seems to list that type of stuff from time to time, albeit not cheaply. Belts you can buy new, spark plugs too (though Champion stopped making the A6G plugs many years ago, but like I said judges will accept a replacement when originals are NLA). Bulbs and fuses--easily sourced.

The correct/original tow eye may or may not fit through your spoiler (there were two sizes and even then no guarantee they would fit). Those pop up from time to time or you can buy a later model eye. My original "correct" eye does not fit, I bought a 360 Modena eye that does so I carry the 360 eye as well as the original and remove before judging.

You aren't that bad off, I certainly wouldn't go but a whole new kit just for completeness, just keep your eyes open. Do you have the complete tool kit? Good luck and happy hunting.

P.S. I should have also mentioned that the earlier kit (like yours) would not have the lug wrench, those were added (and the hammer and octagonal wrench removed) when the wheels changed mid-1988.

Gem likes this.
  7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fred your kit looks pretty complete minus the two items you mentioned and an A.C or alternator belt. Can't see it but I suspect your spark plug socket is tucked next to the ratchet. Everything looks great!

8. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you Tim

That is an amazingly thorough response

Perfect!

I disnt get a tool kit so I will need to hunt for one

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They are out there, just get out your checkbook.... ;)

I searched earlier and the eBay seller I mentioned (tony_randazzo_308_ferrari_maserati) (no affiliation) seems to have the market on Ferrari tools.

10. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Personally, I think a tool kit is essential (as insurance against a break down) and anything is better than nothing and in the mean time I will stock it with alternative branded items.

11. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    #11 VetroresinaNL, Jun 14, 2017
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The tool roll on your picture is actually factory # 127736, intended only for the Testarossa: the last large pocket at right is intended for the pliers.
    The other one that was delivered from time to time with some cars was #127589, which had an additional pocket at right of the one for the pliers, intended for the spark plug tool of the 3,2 V8s (the one for the 3,0QV V8s had a different stitching for the pliers' pocket).

The difference between the Testarossa's set of tools, and the one for the 3,2 V8s, outside the spark plug tool, is that the one with the spark plug tool (= #127589) when delivered with that spark plug tool had also a 14mm combination wrench (open mouthed at one end, an eyelet at the other, both 14mm), to go on the spark plug tool...
    Whereas those intended for the Testarossa had no spark plug tool (even if the tool roll might have the pocket for it) AND a 14/15 mm open-mouthed wrench, instead of the combination 14/14.
    When buying, always be VERY careful that your whole set of eight wrenches are identical between them: all marked in the same way on both sides of the handle (usually "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on one side, and "Ferrari" on the other) and of the same material: there are series of "shiny chrom" wrenches, and "dull chrom" wrenches also...

Rgds

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #13 nerofer, Jun 14, 2017
    This is #127589, the toll roll for the V8s, with a set of Tools for a V8 cars, that is including the spark plug tool specific to the 18mm plugs of the 3,2 V8s in the spark plug pocket at right.
    I include two pictures of the set of wrenches from one of mines, to show that:
    - the serie of eight wrenches is identical in finish, these ones are from a "dull chrom serie"
    - handles are marked "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on one side, "Ferrari" on the other.
    - the famous 14/14mm combination wrench, its eyelet going onto the spark plug tool.

Rgds

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #14 nerofer, Jun 14, 2017
    And here you have 127736, the one intended only for the Testarossas
    (but as said above, some received the same set of tools in a tool roll with the supplementary pocket for the spark plug tool, without the spark plug tool...).

Notwithstanding the missing large flat blade screwdriver, please notice that the serie of wrenches show that it has been recomposed at a later stage: these wrenches are not from an identical serie: they are all from the "shiny chrom finish" BUT when all heads are tilted on the same direction, oriented the same way, the handle of the 14/15mm wrench - specific to the Testarossa's tool roll - shows "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" whereas the others show "Ferrari", and vice-versa...

Rgds

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Post-Scriptum: my guess (it is a guess only) is that for a 1985 car, the screwdriver's handles would be more often than not unmarked, that is, WITHOUT the "Ferrari" white script on the red-brown translucent handles.
    Some 1985 tool rolls may already have had screwdrivers with the white "Ferrari" script, but that wouldn't be the majority. Later on, about 1987, most of these had the white "Ferrari" script.
    As always, if completing an existing tool roll, pay much attention to the orientation of the "Ferrari" script: some screwdrivers have it with the "F" at the "root" of the blade, some with the "F" at the top of the handle. Better have the script on all four screwdrivers reading in the same direction (especially as those screwdrivers are very expensive nowadays, and especially the flat blade ones)
    Rgds

16. RedPanda308

RedPanda308 Rookie

Feb 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Julian Antonius

So do I Unterstand this correctly, there was no spark Plug Tool for the Testarossa? And does anyone know why the lead Hammers are all in catastrophic conditions? Mine Looks like it melted

17. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    The previous owner of my car used the hammer to remove his wheels when he did work...it looks like Fred Flintstone had his way on it! The Monodado bolts can be hard to get off after some time (even with my 3/4 impact and the proper Hill Engineering socket)... I think your hammer just shows years of use? Or possibly one really bad afternoon drive and necessity. At this point I'm hopeful never to need the hammer but you never know.

18. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #18 Steve Magnusson, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Think that all TR have a "spark plug tool" as part of the Jack Kit:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-85/050-tool-kit

(But it's more of a 3/8" ratchet, an extension, a universal joint, and an 18mm deep socket with magnetic inserts rather than a specialized tool -- my 1991 is USAG brand components.)

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    See Steve's answer below; and as I'm not knowledgeable enough in Testarossa's engines, I wouldn't be able to advise on the size of the plug socket.
    (308s and 328s have different plugs, so their respective tool rolls have different spark plug tools: 308s have 14mm plugs and a 21mm socket; 328s have 12mm plugs and therefore a 18mm socket)
    To elaborate a bit on the Testarossa's tool roll: not only does it not include the spark plug tool of the 308s and 328s, but, precisely as it does not include a spark plug tool, the "combination wrench" (14mm for the open end, 14mm for the ring end) is replaced by a 14/15mm, both open ends, in the Testarossa's tool roll.

Rgds

20. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Are the part number labels for the tool bags available in reproduction?

Thanks!

21. RedPanda308

RedPanda308 Rookie

Feb 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Julian Antonius
    So would you say this tool kit is original and complete? I have a 1987 car that's only been in a collection so I'm confident it's the original tool roll - but as you can see the 22/20 wrench is shinier than the others...I was also missing the jack kit which is why I'm not sure which spark plug tool I should have (I do have a USAG extension thing - missing the ratchet though)

And apologies if I'm asking stuff again - I'm just paranoid about originality of my car and spent a fortune collecting all bits and pieces :D

I do have a second tool roll with the same screw drivers (w/o Ferrari writing though) and black writing on the pliers if anyone is looking to add one
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The roll itself is not the one for the Testarossa, but for the V8s (= 308, 328 & Mondial) as it has the pocket at right for the spark plug tool; the roll for the Testarossa's tools has one pocket less, i.e, on the Testarossa roll, the rightmostpocket is the one for the pliers (no pocket after that one). See the one posted by "Elder" ("VetroresinaNL") in Post #11 above, lower pic; some tools are missing in the roll, but the last pocket at right of the roll is the one for the pliers; this is the correct Testarossa roll.
    As for the tools, well, I wouldn't mind the difference in shine between the 20/22 wrench and the others too much, as they are all from the "dull chrom" type of finish, although the 20/22 is slightly shinier indeed, but not of the "plain shiny" finish.

As for your others tools you are talking about, to me (but that's just me...) pliers with black "Kravm/Ferrari" lettering are 1990s.
    Screwdrivers with the translucent dark red-brown handle, but without "Ferrari" white lettering are 1983 to 1986; some early 328s and Testarossas had these, but by 1987, screwdrivers in most, if not all, tool rolls all had the white "Ferrari" lettering.

Rgds

23. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I have been looking for a Kravm 14/15 wrench for several years, if any one has a extra please PM me. Thanks