glovebox | FerrariChat

glovebox

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ok so we know these cars have some "odd" things about them. Some excuse the stupidity by calling it old time charm. I'm not so forgiving. What were the designers thinking when they designed the glove box?

The "glove" box is so small it's all but useless. Was it an after thought? Perhaps after a heavy night on the piss? How did this forward thinking company forget to put a handle on the glove box door and let it be during years of production? My switch works fine but to open the box I need to lightly encourage it with anything that'll get a bit behind the door while pressing the switch at the same time.

My gf suggested the other day while struggling to open it to put her mascara and lippy somewhere that she'd perhaps try to buy a fancy prancing horse brass coffin handle so she can get into it. Has anyone got a fancy prancing horse brass coffin handle going spare? :)

Jeff

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    there's a second glovebox in the back of the car ;-)

The gloveboxes of the 308 and 328 are even smaller !

3. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Never understood why the ignition needs to be on for the glove box to open. Why not just fit it with a lock for those times when the roof is down. Really annoying. That's why I never use it. The trunk on the convertible is the same. You need to have the ignition on to use the electronic opening switch - for security purposes (but there is a BIG handle above the rear seat to pull for the same purpose, so where is the security there?!?)....a lot of things probably made sense to Italiens in the 80s where we just shake our heads nowadays :)

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    If you think the glovebox design is stupid, I would love to hear what you think of the power antenna on the later Mondials (such as my 3.2 coupe). It's basically a cup with a hole in the bottom and it sits just above the fuel injection computer! And yes, there is a drain tube, but when it leaks (not if, but when) it drips right on the computer. Pure genius!
    PS: no, I do not think that is old world charm; I think it's daft.

6. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Luckily I don't have to worry about the glovebox. My switch has never worked so I've never opened it...I wonder if there is a treasure inside?

7. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    I'm not sure what you're complaining about:) All the time that I've owned my car I've been told by fellow Ferrari owners and even mechanics that, until fairly recently, with a Ferrari you paid for a fantastic engine and chassis - and everything else was free!

8. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I had a mice nest in the GT4 glovebox..... Surprise, no treasure.

/Peter

9. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    What glovebox ?

10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    must have been the expansion tank ...

11. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    how big are your gloves dear boy? these cars are not for workmen you know.

12. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah, the glovebox was only added as a children's toy.
    My 5 and 7 year old will testify to this. It's the the most used switch in the console.

13. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    The Mondial glovebox can't even fit a full-size Rubik's cube. But it's awfully cute ... with that adorable map light.

Also very cute: In the 3.2 Cabriolet, at least, there is a storage space in the center console that fits, exactly, one gentleman's wallet, and nothing else.

14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Isn't that the ashtray ? ;)

15. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Oh my! PMSL !

16. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Boxing gloves, me lord :)

17. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    IIRC that was designed to hold several cassette tapes, as the original stereo had a tape player in it.