Ferrari Scam on eBay | FerrariChat

Ferrari Scam on eBay

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by 88Testarossa, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
  2. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I hope you've notified eBay. I hate when this stuff happens.

3. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm not selling the car or wheels. eBay was notified the picture I took of my car is copyrighted and the seller is in violation of TOU and the copyright law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Seller emailed me. Will see if he takes down the ad

5. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Listing ended. Damn coward scammers. They could put that effort into good things.

Nelsonc275 likes this.
  6. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    Saying what?

7. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Just one more reason why more & more people call it FLEAbay, or FEEbay, as they keep raising their fees. Have talked to several people that sold items, then the buyer complains the item is broken, defective, whatever, and the item they send back to the seller, is NOT the item that was sold. And Fleabay seems to always take the side of the buyer. Had a friend that sold some new, in the boxes, reproduction door panels, seats covers, carpet set, & a few other items for a Corvette. The buyer said the items were not the right shade of color he needed. My friend told him to ship them back, & he would be refunded all shipping costs, & the costs of the items, about $1200.00 total. The buyer filed a complaint with Ebay, they pulled the $1200.00 back out of the seller's account. Larry NEVER got the parts back, nor got Ebay to put the $1200.00 back into his PayPal account. When he asked Ebay to help him get his $1200.00 worth of parts back.... FLEAbay told him that was between him, and the buyer. Talk about getting thrown under the bus.

8. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Darn that sucks. Glad you caught this.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    paypal is worthless.... utterly worthless.

i sent him a deposit via paypal........ you can guess the rest of the story (not this item)

i have my credit card doing a chargeback....

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This sort of crap has been going on now for about 5 years and is apparently getting worse. Another ploy is for a Buyer to claim that the Seller sent them rocks in a box; the Buyer then gets their money back from eBay and still have the sellers merchandise. eBay's stated policy is to favor the Buyer over the Seller. If it were the other way, eBay would not make commissions.

Like Craig's List, eBay started going down hill as a viable selling market when the bottom percent of the population began acquiring computers and smart phones.

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    So the issue is that you didn't authorize the use of your copyrighted photo? The seller has a 100% positive rating and several ads with what appear to be legit items. Seems that he was just trying to sell some wheels and used your car that sports the same wheels as a model. Is that correct? If that is the case, this isn't a scam. You are just objecting to the unapproved use of your photograph (a very cool picture, btw). Yes, he was wrong to use your photo. But why did you find it necessary to label this as a scam here on F-Chat? Why would you think that we should be alarmed that someone used your picture without permission? You might want to clarify.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1, this is not a scam. It was simply an issue of using your photo without permission. If the photo is indeed copyrighted, then he is in violation, but I do not see a watermark or anything on the picture as shown (not that it could have been cropped out).

Regardless, not a scam, just a misuse of your picture.

14. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Someone needs to do a class action lawsuit. Lawyer in the house?

I had this happen to me last year. Long story short the guy USED the item (was super obvious) damaged it, sent it back and Ebay took (stole) money from my account and gave it back. They are ruthless *****.

15. ferrarisun

Feb 13, 2011
    Exactly! Hopefully, SOONER, than later, someone with deep pockets, and big name recognition, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, perhaps Amazon, will start a reputable , on line auction service like Ebay USED to be. When that happens, in 6 months, Fleabay, will be nothing but a bad memory. I don't understand why Ebay has given the buyer's 99.9% of the rights in disputes/claims, and the seller's have virtually no say . And adding a policy that bids on cars & real estate, are NON-binding, only opened the door for all the deadbeat bidder's to abuse the auction listings. Ebay is a billion dollar business, and the more they cater to the scammer's & fraud, the better the chances are that someone will replace them.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    seller should just have noted "file photo"

i steal photos all the time. easier than taking a pick and uploading for a standard item

i dont have a problem with ebay as much as paypal. paypal is a rip off as as far as i know you cannot use another payment method ?

are there any paypal competitors to use ?

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, but not with anything close to the universal acceptance of PayPal. For now, it is a necessary evil. :(

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I do mimimal on PayPal, if I did more I'd set up an account dedicated to them and only fund it as needed. Keep a zero balance otherwise. They can't pull funds if none are there.

JohnBradleyDaniels likes this.
  19. ferrarisun

Feb 13, 2011
    I have heard of people getting their PayPal accounts "hacked", cleaned out, and PayPal would not reimburse the stolen funds. I have a separate, dedicated account, only for PayPal, and also keep only a small amount in it. NEVER, have your regular bank account tied to it. As the poster mentioned, they can't pull funds if none are there.

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

It has Gen. Myers name stenciled on it. It was at Langley AFB 1st Fighter Squadron. Took the pic after flying another F-15.

21. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Seller was pretty cool and apologized. Rare these days. Luckily, I've never experienced problems with eBay or PayPal

22. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    You don't need notice of any sort to have a copyright -- all you need is a work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium. For photos these days, that's just being stored on a memory card or uploaded into RAM somewhere.

We have an attorney in our town that has built a cottage industry on suing folks that steal photos on the Internet. If the copyright in the photo has been registered (which is optional and not required) then the defendants are liable for statutory damages and attorney's fees. You should hear the defendants complain and whine when they get stuck with that. But it is a slam dunk for the plaintiff's attorney and there isn't much you can do to defend, unless you can somehow argue fair use, which is usually tough to do.

23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Gotta respect the IP.

24. Dhillonboys

Dhillonboys Rookie

Feb 13, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jas / Sanu Dhillon
    Wanted to add to this. I was scammed on ebay by this gentleman here forza9090 ... He is based out of Canada. A real POS. I bought Lamborghini Diablo heads from him (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Diablo-Cylinder-Head-with-Cams-Part-463400250-463400150-/231401807109?hash=item35e09f5d05:g:kXgAAOSwAL9Uc2gn&vxp=mtr). They're still listed on his ebay even though I bought the set. I got one damaged head and the other one has been pending shipment for 8 weeks.

A true piece of ****. Someone else left him negative feedback but just wanted to let everyone know stay away from forza9090 on ebay. If any of you are from Canada please help me verify the address listed on his ad because that too looks fraudulent. When I went to ship back the damaged head the address was incorrect. It list Etobicoke instead of Toronto. I know nothing about Canada so maybe I am mistaken but any help would be appreciated.

Sancho

25. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Seller has a 66.7 % rating ?