[Wanted] Second Generation (2002–2006) Cadillac Escalade 6.0 AWD | FerrariChat

[Wanted] Second Generation (2002–2006) Cadillac Escalade 6.0 AWD

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by NeuroBeaker, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #1 NeuroBeaker, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update: I purchased a 2003 Cadillac Escalade 6.0 AWD. See post #26 onwards for details.

Original thread title: [Wanted] Second (1999-2006) or Third (2006-2014) Generation Chevrolet Tahoe or GMC Yukon

My wife and I are looking for a clean, accident-free, no-story Chevrolet Tahoe or GMC Yukon that is ready for immediate use as a daily driver by both of us. Representative images of these generations of car have been uploaded from Wikipedia for reference. We have no strong feelings about color, so anything OEM will work. We're located in North Alabama in the Huntsville area.

Specification guidelines:
    • Essential: OEM specification only, with no aftermarket style/performance modifications.
    • Essential: Regular service history and in good condition with no imminent mechanical work required
    • Preferred: 4x4 / AWD
    • Preferred: Short wheelbase
    • Preferred: ~100,000 miles, although condition is far more important.
    • Budget: $5,000 - $7,000 (negotiable)

If you could refer us to a decent car or have one for sale yourself, please contact me by reply to this thread, via private message through the site, or via e-mail through the site. We're looking to pull the trigger from early July 2017 onwards.

Many thanks,
    Andrew (and Nicky).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Riz1

Riz1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    These are cool. Is there anything specifically special about these particular generations?

3. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My parents used to have a new short wheelbase second generation GMC Yukon and really enjoyed it, but they traded it in when they bought a 2004 Ford F350 Dually to pull a 5th-wheel trailer. So we are already familiar with the Yukon from when my parents had theirs, like the short wheelbase size, and still hear good things about the Tahoe/Yukon from friends who have continued to own similar aged cars into higher mileage (and do not want to sell). If they're looked after and not abused/modified, they seem very dependable.

My wife and I have just moved from Scotland to Alabama, so we want something that's automatic, four wheel drive, four doors, reliable, and inexpensive for our first car here. There are a couple of Yukons in budget that we've seen advertised locally and would consider if they're still for sale in July, but if they sell sooner then I thought this thread might be helpful for finding other examples to view.

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Not sure what you mean by short wheelbase. The 2 (or 3, depending on how you count) door 1st gens had a shorter wheelbase but AFAIK the 4 door 2nd and 3rd gens were all 116" wheelbase.

The biggest issue I'm aware of with these is the propensity for fuel pumps to expire, usually in hot weather just after a refill. The tank has to be dropped to replace the pump. For long term ownership an aftermarket external solution would be worth considering.

Good luck in your search.

5. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I guess I'm being too imprecise with the nomenclature regarding the sizes. :eek: We want 4/5 doors rather than 2/3. This is what I was trying to convey:

Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon:
    • Length: 196.9 - 198.9 inches
    • Wheelbase: 116.0 inches

Chevrolet Suburban / GMC Yukon XL:
    • Length: 219.3 inches
    • Wheelbase: 130.0 inches

Width, height, and the mechanicals are virtually the same. We're more interested in the Tahoe/Yukon than the Suburban/YukonXL. We wouldn't reject the longer car solely because of the size, but would prefer the shorter one if all other factors were equivalent.

Thanks for both your advice on the fuel pumps and well wishes for the search. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Try and find a low mile 2007.(getting harder and harder to find) At least you get a big jump from the 2006 with the new body style and interior.

7. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Low mile 3rd generation will definitely stretch beyond the available budget. This needs to be an inexpensive but reliable first car for us here in the US. It'll probably be a lower mile 2nd gen or higher mile 3rd gen, with general condition being the deciding factor. After saving up a bit, we can examine adding a second newer car.

One problem we're having is that as we both passed the Alabama driving test in May of this year, the insurance companies regard us as having only just taken up driving in our 30s and being complete novices behind the wheel. The years of driving since I was 18 and the 13+ years (the maximum the UK records) of no claims bonus from my previous insurer don't mean anything since they don't consult insurance references outside of the US and Canada. Furthermore, the 15+ years of driving I've done on my Dad's policy using my British license to drive how cars don't count for anything either. The insurance premiums are going to be about $300/month for whatever car we get - there's only about $20-30/month difference between a $300 car or a $30,000 car for any insurance company. The unexpectedly high insurance premiums we'll have to pay are eating into the budget for the actual car. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    Hi. I've got a friend selling his immaculate '05 Suburban 4WD LT with 86,000 original miles.
    He is the original owner. Always been in San Diego. Metallic Silver with Grey Leather interior. Asking $12k for it.

9. Lookinup99

Lookinup99 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 24, 2016
    Just go on Auto-trader,Car Gurus,Cars.com,Etc where you can put in all the parameters your looking for including price you want to pay.

10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sounds like a great vehicle at an excellent price point, but it is beyond the reach of our budget. :eek: Thanks though!

I've been doing that too. I've got many searches on the go simultaneously.

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    Andrew,

Just a word of advice on a few things to look at on these trucks.

Front end components. Wheels bearing/hub assemblies, ball joints tie rod ends etc. These vehicles wear them considerably quicker than others.

Transmission - Look for records of filter and fluid changes. The 4l60/4L65e is a great transmission if maintained and not abused.

Transfer case. The auto transfer case in these had a magnesium case, and the steel pump would rub through the case over time, causing a leak. If there is a leak coming from the transfer case, have it inspected carefully!

Just a few pieces I have picked up from years of experience with these. They are tanks, and I have seen several over 300k, these just seem to be the common/costly issues!

Best of luck in your search!

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Jun 6, 2017
  13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Patrick, your advice here was invaluable. I viewed a ~$6.5k 2005 Yukon Denali today and it all looked fine from the inside as well as reasonable on the outside. Following your advice, I checked the underside and found oil on the transfer case. After I told the dealer that the transfer case was leaking, he then admitted that the car failed their checks for being sold as a certified used car because the pan gasket, rear main seal, rear plate gasket, transfer case gasket, hydroboost, and front impact sensor all required replacement. At cost, they estimated it would take them $3000 to bring it up to the level of a certified car. Needless to say, I didn't buy that one.

I'll take a look, thanks. :)

I am a little concerned that insurance companies would charge more for an Escalade than a Tahoe simply because of the badge. Given that they're already trying to hose me by branding me a new driver with no history, that could be another complication. I'll have to make sure that's not going to be an issue.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    Andrew,

I am glad that I could be of some assistance to you! If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me. I would be glad to give you my cell number if you had questions while you were looking at these trucks!

Best of luck with your search!

Patrick Knapp

15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Going off this suggestion, I did indeed broaden the search parameters to include Escalades and I found a 2006 for sale nearby. 197k miles, single owner car, with a clean CarFax, currently being used as a daily driver until the point of sale.

I have a local mechanic nearby who does 1-hour PPIs for $55, and he seems pretty highly rated by the neighbors so I think that'll be a good check to do too. I've run that suggestion past the seller, saying that moving forward was conditional on the Escalade passing that inspection and, rather encouragingly, he said that was totally fine.

I'm going to go see him after July 4th. Any suggestions for things to look out for on this particular model and year?

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Good luck with this one, Andrew.... we're all pulling for you.

You do know, however, that 'Once you go Cadillac, you never go back!'

:D

Mike

17. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    Andrew, the Escalade is a nice choice. They come equipped with the 6.0L LQ9 LS motor, opposed to the 5.3 that most Yukons and suburbans have. They also have a 4L65E transmission, which is a big upgrade over the 4L60E. Mechanically they are very stout. The 6.0L is a bit more pricey to maintain, but worth the additional cost!

The few things that I would mention you take into account, these Escalades are AWD. In conjunction with the 6.0L v8, they are thirsty! The Escalade runs bigger wheels and tires then its Chevy GMC counterparts, so tires are more expensive, it eats through brakes, suspension, and steering components a little quicker too. The "Cadillac" bits will be more expensive if they ever need replacing. Items specific to the Escalade such as mirrors, interior trim, body parts, paint etc are all significantly more expensive.

With 197k on it, the PPI is definitely a great idea. I would imagine that in 1 hour, the technician spends all of his time on mechanical features. You should spend some time of your own checking things he wont worry about. Power seat function, radio/navigation, power mirrors, lights, power liftgate etc are all potentially annoying and expensive fixes that your mechanic wont likely focus on.

You might see if the seller will allow you to leave a deposit and do a "weekend test drive?"
    I have done this with a few vehicles I have sold (nothing along the lines of a Ferrari!). Then you will get an honest feel of its road manners, fuel economy, and creature comforts. It will also let you find any issues that might present themselves after a good drive.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions at all!

18. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I realize my post sounds almost as if I am suggesting against the Escalade. I didnt mean for it to come off like that. If I had a choice, I would definitely pick an Escalade over a Yukon or suburban. I just wanted to highlight all the possible downsides!

If and when I finally kill the motor in my 80 series Landcruiser, it will be getting an LQ9 out of an escalade!

Best of luck in your search Andrew! hopefully this is the one!

19. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You know, I've never even been in a Cadillac before. It'll be interesting to see what they're like.

Thanks so much for all your expert guidance, Patrick. I really do appreciate your help. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    No problem at all Andrew! I'm here if you have any more questions!

21. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    My brother I think is selling his black suburban 2500 w/100k on it. It isn't exactly what you are looking for but it is in excellent condition in the $10k range.

22. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That does sound nice, but I'm afraid $10k is above the available budget. Thanks for the referral though. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #23 NeuroBeaker, Jul 6, 2017
    Test-drove and performed a PPI on this $7k car today:

When I dropped it off for the PPI, I knew there were some problems with the brakes (which didn't work very well) and the suspension (which behaved very strangely).

The car failed the PPI on:
    • Air conditioning:
      • Rear air is stuck on hot and cannot be turned off.
      • Front air is slow to change between hot and cold.
    • Valve covers leaking.
    • No coolant.
    • Pitman arm damaged (presumed off-roading, underside caked with thick mud) and alignment off.
    • Worn ball joints, heavily greased in strange places.
    • Rear air-suspension shock absorbers blown out, front shock absorbers worn.
    • Brake discs scored and brake pads low.
    • Brackets behind front bumper broken.
    • Brackets behind rear bumper broken.
    • Motorized driver seat adjustment not fully functional.
    • Error codes cleared on 6th July 2017 (just before I picked up the car):
      • P0120 TP or APP Sensor 1 Circuit Problem
      • P0220 TP or APP Sensor 2 Circuit Fault
      • P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Signal High/Open
      • P1516 Electronic Throttle Mod VS Throttle Position Performance
      • P2135 TP Sensor 1-2 Correlation
      • B0092 PPS Passenger Detection Error (airbag)
      • B0408 Temperature Control 1 Circuit Malfunction
      • B0434 Temperature Control 3 Feedback Circuit Performance
      • B3531 Air Flow Control 10 Circuit Malfunction
      • C0196 Yaw Rate Circuit Fault
      • C0455 Steering Wheel Position Sensor Fault
      • C0775 Low tire Pressure/Sensors Not Learned

After finding all that, the mechanics gave up proceeding any further with the PPI (didn't test lights and electrics) and advised me not to buy the car. The cost to correct the list of identified faults had already equaled the asking price of the car and even with those things rectified it was never again going to be a $14k vehicle.

Update to search criteria:

One positive from the test drive is that, despite the problems with that specific car, my wife and I both liked the Escalade. We're now targeting a Second Generation (2002-2006) Cadillac Escalade 6.0 AWD (pictured from Wikipedia) with captain's chairs in the middle row as the preferred vehicle. Any color. Budget is $6,000 - $8,000.

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The cost of repairing the air suspension is pretty high, so is there any reason not to get an example that has it in working order and then just replace it with something like this if it breaks?

We'll still be trying to get a 6.0 AWD that didn't have air suspension fitted, but perhaps that aftermarket backup solution could broaden the search criteria a little bit.

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #25 Wade, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Hi Andrew, great choice to focus on the Escalade. Probably the most capable SUV there is. A few things to know; as these vehicles age many owners go the affordable route for maintenance by replacing the OEM suspension and tires with alternatives intended for the Tahoe and GMC variants. While that's a doable move, you will lose the Cadillac ride and handling (the Sport in SUV). In other words, it'll ride like a truck, especially with if you put truck tires on it.

FYI, Arnott Suspension Products (just "across the way" from me) is the go-to for remanufactured OEM replacement parts. That's where we bought our rear air shocks and its air pump (compressor).

Also, great deals are out there for these Escalades, but you might have to travel to find the right one.