my son needs a car | FerrariChat

my son needs a car

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ross, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i would like him to use his own money....for many reasons.
    he has $1500. but i am tired of trolling through craigslist with him trying to decipher which turd in that price range is the least likely to explode.

the thought came to mind, that there might be some fchatters out there with an aged mundane car that actually does run that they would like to get rid of without having to have crowds of craigslist type buyers come to their house and try out....

so is there such a unicorn out there in the houston area?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whatever you do, don't buy a jeep.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I knew of a Buick sedan sitting unused in Austin.

"Mother in Laws" car after she had passed....no idea if still there...

4. Imak

Imak Rookie

May 25, 2014
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Mark S
    I used $1500 on a downpayment for a 2014 VW Jetta, plan on owning it and paying it off far sooner. Don't really have any experience on buying cash for a car yet :p

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't know if you can buy one for $1,500, but a Toyota Highlander is a great throwdown car to drive on Houston's Mad Max roads. Mine is an '03 with 145k miles and drives and drivers and drives and drives. Only problem is brake pads need replacing a lot, that's it.

6. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a pre-owned lot in North Dallas, but the only thing I have in that price range is a 2000 Saturn station wagon in silver that I let customers use as loaners & such. It got 115K miles or so last time I checked. Most of my cars are $5,000 to $20,000.

If interested, its yours for $1,500.

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks mike. but we bought a 2004 cadillac srx today. i doubled the budget to get something that wasnt awful, just slightly awful ;)

8. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Haha...good deal! Congrats on the purchase.

If the SRX is a 3.6 V6, those things are notorious for timing chain rattle. It just means the guides need to be replaced sooner or later. Just keep a watchful eye on it.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its a v8. i got it for about 40% of value, because it had not been used in more than a year....but then i knew i had to catch up on the deferred maintenance....so have flushed the coolant, flushed the power steering, changed the oil and filter, replaced the tires, and now need to see to the transmission and the brakes. once that is all done, i will likely be closer to 75% of value. still slightly ahead of the game.

i used to own this model and think they are pretty decent cars if cared for properly.