How many F12s were made? | FerrariChat

How many F12s were made?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by SoCal to az, May 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So it seems I've caught the v12 bug and am debating adding an F12 to my stable. I currently own a 488 GTB and a Mercedes SLS as my two exotics. If I was to add the f12, the SLS would have to go. I just don't have the room for another exotic in the garage.

My concern is SLS is a relatively limited production and prices are stable and going up. Mine is a great example with less than 5k miles for a 2011 - silver on red interior.

The F12 to me while I love the car, I worry about long term value. If they are produced in mass, likely the prices will drop like many other v12 ferraris.

I know it's not all about depreciation, but I need another car like I need a hole
    In the head so I want to be very smart with my potential purchase.

Would love the thoughts of the community on whether to keep the SLS or sell it and get an F12 knowing I already have an F car in the garage.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A quick Google says 2734 AMG SLS in USA which has to be at least double US F12 since they only do about 1000 V12 worldwide each year of which about 350 come to US including FF

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That's total SLS- I don't count the convertibles as the coupe is the only one with the Gullwing doors. I think there were less than 1500 SLS coupes total.

But that is somewhat irrelevant to me question as the SLS has stabilized and is appreciating. Where will f12 go in short/long term?

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My advice is to stay away from exotics in general if your decision driver is depreciation. If you desire another hole in your head than I would submit that your 488 will likely drop over time more than the purchase of a 2013 to 2015 F12. Sell the 488 and buy the F12.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Never said depreciation was a decision driver. In fact I specifically wrote that it's "not all about depreciation". So no, I have no plans to stay away from exotics.

I'm just not super educated on the F12s so was just curious about the model. Thanks regardless for your comments.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Because Ferrari doesn't publish any sales statistics per model and it's even difficult to know accurately how many cars they produce per year, your question about how many F12b were sold can only be answered with partial accuracy and the total world figures have to be guessed. According to different information I've read my guess is that Ferrari world sales distribution for all models is split more or less like this:

40% All Europe
    35% USA+ North America
    25% The rest of the world

The F12b sales official numbers for All Europe are trustable and the following:

2012 - 82
    2013- 624
    2014 - 418
    2015 - 296
    2016 - 387

TOTAL : 1807

Using the % distribution by world territory mentioned before, my guessed final numbers for F12b sales until the end of 2016 are:

All the world: 4500

All Europe : 1800
    USA+ North America: 1575
    The rest of the world : 1125

7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If it helps, there are 347 F12b registered in the UK up until then end of 2016, Maybe add another 25-30 for first half of 2017 as production has all but finished.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Bottom line question Im debating is whether to sell the SLS and replace with a F12 or just sit tight and enjoy the cars I already have.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In terms of depreciation, the F12b is in the time frame when these cars will depreciate. Your question might be better answered by figuring out what premium to a 599 should the F12b command. And then take a look at 599 prices and add that premium. I think the F12b is a much better drive than the SLS. But the F12b is going to continue to depreciate from here. If you want to avoid almost all the depreciation, I think you have to wait another 7+ years.

I think as a strictly financial exercise, the SLS is the better choice. And if you love seeing it in the garage then you probably shouldn't sell it and if you want the F12 and have to sell then the 488 is probably the better choice to sell. JMHO.

Mario, thanks for the guesstimate. It seems reasonable. I think we have to account for some production in 2017 though, so the final number might be a little higher.

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry the all Europe sales are the only figures which are totally trustable and the rest like you say is guesstimate exercise. May be one day that information will leak and then I'll see how good student I am in the subject of guessology.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For now I will give you an A+ :) :)

12. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek

+1, I would say wait till the 812 is on the street, definitely will bring the F12 prices down even further.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    SoCal to az,

If I may, I think the F12 is a very different animal with regards to the SLS. The F12 is a very special car that will go down in price and take a hit on a yearly basis for the next couple of years, before it goes back up again. The F12 may plateau when the 812 SF's replacement gets underway. Anyway, your SLS may very well be a more exclusive car in terms of units produced and has very low mileage. You're also the proud owner of a fantastic 488.

I would keep enjoying your wonderful cars while keeping a close eye on the F12. Taking into account your impressive garage, I think it would be perhaps wise to pause, sit back and lay low for a bit until things get more clear. God knows you'll have a ton of fun with the cars you already have!

One question: have you already test-driven the F12? If you haven't by now, don't. After the test drive, my guess is you'll fall in love with it head over feet and selling the SLS won't be a matter of choice, it'll be imperative! If you have, kudos for managing the temptation so far!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have not driven the F12. Good advise. Ill sit tight for now and reevaluate when more 812s hit the market and see if it makes sense to upgrade to a F12 in the future. I do love the SLS but its always fun to plan out the future.

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Yes sir, I'm with you.

The last thing I need right now is another car, let alone another Ferrari. I keep telling everyone that, to convince others but also myself through repetition! But I'd be lying if I told you I'm not thinking about an F12... For the moment I plan on enjoying my cars and take my time, no rush. For all intents and purposes, we're in a very nice position, which means we can wait and perhaps, when a bit less infatuated, strike a better deal all around. But it's fun to anticipate events and prepare for the future. You'll savour all this when you finally sit behind the wheel of your very own F12!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. AGP22

AGP22 Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    If I was in your position, I would probably replace either one of them by an F12. The car is simply fabulous. If you buy a well looked after used one you should be fine without losing much on depreciation. I have an F12, an F430, a new GT Speed, and a bunch of other cars, and believe me, there is nothing like it. Life is just too short, you won't regret it.

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The sound alone is enough reason to buy the F12.. It is the by far the best sounding V12 of the last 4 generations (F12,599,575,550,)with the possible exceptions of the 599GTO and F12TDF....

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    SLS doesn't sound all that bad either though.

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I have'nt experienced those in real life but according to everything I have read here and the vids I've seen the GTO seems to be definitely the craziest sounding Front engined V12 ferrari...

20. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Kind of contradicting yourself. You say you want an v12 but are worried about it losing value versus your SlS which is stable or appreciating. I guess I would get the v12 if you want it. Of course it will loose value as there is nothing special about the f12 to keep values up but it's a sweet car and I personally would drive one over an MB any day of the week

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is no contradiction and I already drive a Ferrari over my MB but thanks for your comments.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I may be off the mark but when an OP states "...while I love the car, I worry about long term value..." I read that as a concern that ultimately drives a purchase. My advice was sincere but may have been misread. With Ferrari, unless vintage of a certain era, LE or hyper-car most will lose value. The decision comes down to whether the car excites beyond the worry. As an example of value, I offered that the 488 will lose as much or more in say the next five years than a 2013 to 2015 F12. As others have stated, the motor, sound and specialness of the F12 are unequaled in the class. Hope this helps.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Depreciation and cost is a concern, but it's not the primary concern.

Appreciate the insight. Thank you.

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No problem. I think you owe it to yourself to drive the F12 and then measure the depth of the grin afterwards!

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thank you. I absolutley plan on it.