1984 400i on ebay | FerrariChat

1984 400i on ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JMFC, May 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    1984 Ferrari Other

Listed here is a 1984 Ferrari 400i 12 cylinder which I intended to bring back to its former glory but I lost my storage so I must let it go. When I purchased the car it was neglected for sometime and needed the following.

The car comes with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel system which required a full rebuild. This included tank flushed, fuel pumps replaced, fuel filters replaced, fuel accumulators replaced, both injection control units rebuilt, all vacuum control units rebuilt or inspected. Rebuilt fuses control panel and replaced all solenoid control locks, gas door, trunk and front bonnet. I replaced spark plug wires and distributor cap with MSD ignition coil giving superior spark (over original). I Replaced factory starter with race car high crank/torque (Still have original). I had a complete valve job done to both heads, this included cam inspection and all associated parts. I replaced all injectors and have a second replacement set. I serviced the transmission and removed and inspected exhaust system putting it back in place with original cats. I replaced all brake pads and serviced hydraulic ride system which works perfectly. I still have the original Cromodora wheel set with Michelin Metric TRX tires that are totally shot. I adapted these true knock off Dayton wire wheels to fit and on them are 225/60R15 which are useable. Everything works perfectly and the cars 12 cylinder runs and drives great but needs an expert on the Bosch system to make it truly roar. The paint and interior was going to be my next task but losing my storage makes it impossible. The body and paint I feel can be saved needing touch ups, minor dent repair, and compounding. The interior only requires the lower front seats to be recovered with the rest in need of a good cleaning and re dying. It comes with the original tool bag and service manuals. Please check out the photos, car can be looked at in Merrick Long Island and driven where ever it needs to go. The Vin number is ZFFEB06B000046515 which for sum reason E bay wont accept. This vehicle is being offered with no guarantees or warranties, so drop me a line or stop on buy you won’t be disappointed. Thanks for looking, no reserve must go and good luck.

Also want to add rebuilt power steering pump, rebuilt brake booster, AC system converted to 134a will charge when picked up. Did a lot of work to car get a lot of complements, test drive it and see. Thanks

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The valve job would've been better left undone because you re-used the original valves. Sodium filled valve failure rate goes up significantly when you do that. First order of business for the new owner would be to replace the valves.

3. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    This not my car. I just wanted the board to know about it so that some 400i aficionado could buy it and the car would get a decent home.

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sorry it seemed like you were the seller. I feel bad for the future buyer!

6. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Does it have such an impact when the original valves are removed and reinstated?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The valve will run hotter if the margin is too small. The more you grind the thinner the margin. It can be coincidence but there seems to be a trend with higher failure rates and one well known shop had exactly that happen and they vowed to never reuse a valve again. My BB and 400 both still have those ticking time bombs in them and I think of it every time I drive.

The seller saved about $300 but it needs to be redone in my opinion

8. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I won't drive on the rev limiter for too long then! :)

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There have been instances where these valves have broken when the engine haven't even been running.

10. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Why?
    Assuming correct seat dimensions.

11. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    If I recall correctly, you may have posted about a previous car for sale in another post where based on you copying the listing content, it made it seem as if you were the seller then (as well as on this one now)... All of us on this board will always, always be glad to have members contribute to the website with any content relating to our cars, including those for sale, but for next time - simply state at the beginning of your thread - No Affiliation, or I saw this one for sale on ??? and wanted to share with the forum, etc. Bonus points if you also indicate the Chassis Number in the title or anywhere in the listing, so that any and all future owners can attempt to locate information about their cars by searching this forum through their respective chassis number.

Keep up the good work!

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #12 samsaprunoff, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding doc...

Cheers,

Sam

1984 Ferrari 400i Auto
    Color: Light Blue Exterior with Blue Interior
    Mileage: 66414(?)
    VIN: ZFFEB06B000046515
    Chassis: 46515
    Current Bid: $20322 USD (4 Bids - 5 Days 7 Hours to go)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    As I said above (the margin) the side edge of the valve face gets thinner as you grind the tapered area, the edge of the valve can glow red the thinner it gets. But aside from that, the old sodium filled exhaust valves are a disaster waiting to happen and experiences I've read about them failing after a valve job makes this car worse than if they had just left it alone assuming it ran fine before. So for $300 the seller could've had solid stainless generic valves installed and this would be a non-issue.