$30,000 Pickup Truck Question | FerrariChat

$30,000 Pickup Truck Question

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For a variety of reasons, I need to get a used pickup. I'd like a super cab with a long bed and can pull maybe 5,000 pounds, but that's as far as I have gotten. I also don't want to spend more than $30,000. So what recommendations do you have for where I should start? F150s? Toyota Tacoma?, Toyota Tundra? I'm not married to any brand, but I want to be able to get most of my money back when I sell.

Your thoughts?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

It was an easy answer until this^^^^

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, skip that part. I like to buy used, so I figured I would start looking at 2014 trucks?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am not a big fan of towing with any of the 1/2 tons. I own one and I'd never buy it to tow with. It's a 2 passenger car with a really big trunk and brakes that are just good enough to stop it. Get a 3/4 ton.

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Toyota. The only trucks I've ever made money on when selling.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    does he really need a 3/4 ton truck to tow 5,000 pounds?

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good question. Typical Fezza weighs two tons. How much does a typical enclosed trailer weigh? Numbers I recall are in 2 ton range as well. So, 4 tons total.
    Most F150 configs are closer to 5,000 lbs towing capacity. Some as much as 10,000 lbs. F250 is 12,000 lbs at least. I'd rather err on the side of too much rather than too little towing capacity. At least, that's my recollection, supported by a bit of Googling...T

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OP didn't say he wants to tow a car in an enclosed trailer...he said he wanted to tow 5,000 pounds :)

that's a task that most mid-sized SUVs or a Tacoma/Colorado could handle. I towed a Porsche in an enclosed trailer with a V8 Grand Cherokee with no issues (rated at 7500 pounds IIRC, my guestimate is car/trailer were close to that).

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tundra has a 10 000lbs rating, with the 5,7 and ypu can probably get a new one around 30-35k. You don't need loaded just an ac and stereo.

Great truck maybe a little cruder than the others but anvil tough and totally comfortable.

Used truck like any used vehicle ypu never know the life it's lead and because of mileage won't last as long and will need work
    Sooner. False economy imo

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I think basically any modern half ton truck will tow 5k lbs with ease. Its really down to which one you personally like and can find a good deal on, good news is there are a few trucks for sale in Houston ;)
    Toyotas do seem to hold their value, but for a used buyer sometimes that means you overpay relative to another brand with the hope of recouping the cost down the line.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed! I was projecting my wants and desires on his situation! :)
    T

13. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Any of the super duty diesels should fill the bill and hold value pretty well. I'd look for a pre-2008 Duramax or Ford powerstroke with 100-150k miles and manual transmission. Or a newer Tacoma with manual. All good trucks.

14. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It's silly to think you need a super duty or diesel to pull 5000lbs. Modern trucks can do so much more than trucks from even 5-7 years ago.

15. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Any modern half ton will pull that without a sweat. Now, it's not going to be as easy as a heavy duty truck, but it won't ride like one either.
    Do you want 4wd? It holds resale better, but not worth the cost if you'll never use it. I'm not a huge fan of the Ram, but the current trucks are on par with the next 3. Get a Hemi though, still working out issues on the diesel.
    F150. My fave, I'm biased. Get the 5.0, you'll pull 18-20 mpg unloaded, and have plenty of power to tow. XLT or lariat is probably more than enough options.
    Tundra, with the 5.7. Awesome trucks, reliable, Toyota resale. Little more thirsty, but it's. a powerful V8.
    Chevy or GMC with the 5.3. Same as above in power and fuel economy.
    Drive them and see which one you like most.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I honestly can't think of any truck in that price bracket that there isn't some trim level that will pull that weight. Even the front wheel biased AWD Honda Ridgeline will do it.

HOWEVER, you said "long bed". What's your definition of long bed? Eight feet?

That will narrow the field quite a bit.

17. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Most of the manufactures offer a 8' bed on the extended/ super cab half tons still. But it is harder to find one as most were work trucks.

18. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Any 5 year old diesel fits the bill. Most contractors do ford, so easy sell...

30k is a really healthy budget for a used diesel... just buy it right...

Commercial trucks always have a market.

Bought a ford e350 v10 cargo van 10 years ago with 130,000 miles for $5000 or so. No issues in 10 years, can haul a house, and probably worth more than I paid even now...

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  20. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    Obviously go which way you'd like, but vans can be very limiting when it comes to cargo. Your back will hate you crawling in and out of it. I worked with my dad for years doing it with his van. If I were to buy a truck, it's a tundra hands down. Bullet proof and you can easily sell it later down the road.

21. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I understand. One of the reasons I'm hesitate to buy a truck is most truck owners rarely use their truck as a truck. In many cases, a trailer would work just as well. I'm also thinking about hauling a motorcycle, and vans are MUCH easier to load.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The RAM with ECO gets good MPG...better than some minivans...so who cares if you almost never use it as a truck.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2