My new original Hollywood Sport Cars plate frame | FerrariChat

My new original Hollywood Sport Cars plate frame

Discussion in '308/328' started by stevel48, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #1 stevel48, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been looking for one for years. My car was sold new there in 85. I like to hunt for these types of things that can tie my car to its roots.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Neat! Where did you get it? eBay?

3. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    yep. i had it as a saved search that would alert me to anything with that name.

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've been trying to find an old Newport Imports frame for my car. It was ordered and delivered through that dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I bought a frame off eBay last summer from the (defunct) Monterey Ferrari dealership and finally mounted it a couple of weeks ago. Its where my car was originally purchased, but I thought it was ugly. Now that I have it on, I am warming to it. A green frame on a blue plate on a red car.

6. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    I would love to see a pic of your license plate frame. I'm from Monterey and remember driving by as little boy just staring at the Ferrari's in the windows. Now that I have a 308, It's kinda nostalgic for me to find an ORIGINAL frame from Monterey Ferrari.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #7 Brian A, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here ya go.

Unfortunately they are extremely rare and there are concours people on the hunt for them. They do pop up on eBay. (No, mine is not for sale.)

Red white and green are the colors of the Italian flag. Maybe that has something to do with the choice of using green as the background color. It doesn't match that well with the blue and yellow license plate though (which has been on the car since new).

Do you know what years the Monterey Ferrari dealership was in business?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    As far as I can remember back, it was just a small little ocean front glass showroom on Del Monte Ave in Monterey about 1980 or earlier (i was just 7 years old). It could have been there much earlier. Then it moved into a new building in Seaside California which is just a mile north on the same Del Monte when the city of Monterey reclaimed that ocean front property to make it a public park. It was there until about 1994 or so because I remember going years earlier to see the new F40 when they received one and I drove myself there. After that, Ferrari moved out and its now a Jaguar Dealership.

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Nice plate frames. Nice to have one that matches the original selling dealership.

10. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    I have an original plate frame the same, with Ferrari Beverly Hills on it. Is this a rare/sort after plate?
    I imported my 308 to New Zealand last year and this frame came with it. Not sure if it's the cars original place of purchase because it's a euro spec.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great score! I have a Ferrari of Los Gatos frame on my car.

I'm a little ticked off at EBay though! I collect plate frames and I've been trying to find a Hollywood Sport Cars frame for a long time. I also have it on saved search but they never told me about this one!!! Lol. Congrats on getting it.

12. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I got a frame from Walnut Creek Ferrari, CA. I had it on my Fiat for year before I sold it. I am now super glad that I took it off the Fiat and kept it. It may go on my 328 now.

Looks very cool... mat black with gold lettering WALNUT CREEK on top and FERRAI on the bottom.

I wish I had gotten more...Same time I got two kef fobs that were about $20 at the time that are on Ebay for $200+...I wish I had gotten 4 key fobs.

13. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    If anyone runs across a "Big Red Ferrari" plate from the dealership that was in Norman, Oklahoma in the 80's, I'd love to buy it. Very nostalgic!

14. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley
    81 308 GTSi from FAF in Atlanta[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    #15 308Dadoo, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    When I was a kid back in the 60's and early Seventies. It was British Motors of Monterey. Not exactly sure when it became an official Ferrari Dealer but I remember Ferrari's on the lot in the early 80's. A Canadian friend of mine almost bought a Giallo Daytona Spyder from them for $16,000.
    It would coincide with when Ramsey Ferrari / Fiat left the area. We used to frequent both lots as kids all the time in High School.

I'd love to find one. I have a Green/Chrome Monterey Rolls Royce - Jaguar Plate frame that I found at a swap meet years ago.