Lithium Ion "Intellgigent" Batteries in 2017 and saving 50 pounds---time to switch? | FerrariChat

Lithium Ion "Intellgigent" Batteries in 2017 and saving 50 pounds---time to switch?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ExcelsiorZ, May 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    A friend's rare exotic has an Italian battery mounted rather high and it weighs around 58 pounds. (Ugh...misspelled intelligent in Title and can't correct....)

It seems Lithium car battery tech has advanced. I see this new ANTIGRAVITY battery on Ebay that weighs 5 pounds and 720CCA but there is one now that seems to have much more modern tech and it weighs less than 10 pounds, has 1000 CCA and is an "Intelligent" battery specifically designed for auto use.

Using this battery would save nearly 50 pounds which is a huge amount of weight savings while also lowering the center of gravity (CG) of the vehicle.

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

From the Ebay ad describing the battery.

RE-START Technology

The RS-20 will go into a “sleep” mode with enough energy to allow you to re-start your vehicle if you discharge the battery. This means that if you accidentally leave your lights on or play your stereo until the battery shuts off, you can still start your vehicle and drive away. Simply press the re-start button on the battery and you’re good to go! No need for jumper cables, a jump-starter or assistance. No other battery on the market offers that!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Simply press the restart button:: What kind of car are they thinking about?

After you jack up the passenger front suspension,
    remove the passenger front tire,
    Unbolt the battery compartment lid,
    Press restart button, then reattach battery lid,
    and put passenger front tire back on hub,
    and lower the jack and you are off and running.....

5. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Lithium Ion batteries can be quite dangerous if they are manufactured without proper safety features and even then they have a failure rate. I would be very concerned about putting some no name LI-ion Chinese battery in any car. I would only use a quality one in a race car where one can regularly monitor the batteries condition. From what I have heard Braille make some really good lightweight batteries. Here is some info: http://forums.braillebattery.com/download/file.php?id=58&sid=ecafc2523ba5ecc051d67d90de71fb83

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If lithium ion batteries overheat, they can catch fire in a way that can't be put out with typical on-board extinguishers. I would not risk my car just to save 50 pounds of sprung weight.

7. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    They say some of these batteries cannot catch on fire.......

17. I've heard old stories about lithium catching on fire ??
    - Not these type. These are new LiFePO4 type, iron phosphate. No chance of that happening. Very safe, much safer than carrying around a bunch of highly flammable gasoline !

FAQ about replacing lead acid with lithium battery