Anyone familiar with CA Historic Plate registration process? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone familiar with CA Historic Plate registration process?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by SaratogaCA, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Biggest factor is how long have you owned the car.

2. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Tax deductible? Right, if your income is less that than the property taxes I pay every year.

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Found mine.

$158...

Kai

4. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I just bought my second Farrari, a 1986 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. I registered it as a historic.

I think I saved a little money on reg fees.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    btw, got my reg paperwork...no smog request (should have got it since it's every two years)... but from what I've seen YMMV so good luck!

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    It gets even better when you renew those historic plates. My renewal of historic plates this year is $92 (was the $127 when I switched to historic plates last year).

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    woot!
    :)

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Since I've moved out of state, I don't mind outing myself now - I have nothing to lose. I was one of the people Brian Harper knew with historic plates. My car is a 1979 308GT4, and I bought it in January of 2006 from a guy in SF who smogged it prior to the sale. Sometime later that year, I went to the DMV in Sunnyvale and filled out the historic plate application and paid the fee.

In the subsequent 10 years of residence in CA until we moved to Georgia, I never received a SMOG notice on my annual renewal. Never. I too had heard that they "closed the loophole," but perhaps I was grandfathered in, as my renewal that next year still didn't require it... Go figure!

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #34 TTR, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For comparison, annual registration for my oldest vintage car (with YOM plates) is $102.00.
    Of course it was registered almost 30 years ago and taxed for then purchase price of parts in a crate on top of the frame I bought and estimated labor value for putting it together, though not sure if I included the value of beers, cigarettes and help from friends the effort required. :)

It's the insurance that seems a lot, though still less percentage wise than my DD (+/- 1% vs. +/- 2.5%).

Perhaps 5-10 years ago, last time I had a car registered with YOM plates, the extra cost for that privilege was either $30.00 or $60.00. Not sure if any of it carries over to annual renewals.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    #35 SaratogaCA, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally got my historic plates.

There she is, at the supermarket parking lot, sitting, just by happenstance, right next to a beautiful MG.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Of course, you weren't using your car to run groceries or other basic errands, because that would violate the terms for receiving historic plates...right?

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looks great Sam! as far as the groceries..he was buying snacks for the club members...

;)

13. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I could have sworn Safeway carries motor oil. I went over to pick up a few quarts. Turned out I was wrong. So I figured might as well buy some groceries while I was there.

This Saturday I am going on a "Fun Drive" with some car enthusiasts, including a retired judge and some attorneys. I'll post some pix.

14. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    My story, had I ever been questioned about why I was driving on historic plates, was that I was either on my way TO my mechanic's, on my way home FROM my mechanic's, or on a shakedown drive because I turn my own wrenches... How could anyone say any of those scenarios, depending on the day, weren't plausible in a 35+ year old Italian car?

15. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Wow, the Mondial looks like it's twice the size of the MGB in those photos. And a current 488 Spider would probably look twice as large as the Mondial!

16. John Rice

John Rice Rookie

Apr 25, 2007
    Gents,
    Now that a little time has passed, any updates on this?

17. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Looks like a two car C&C to me....;)

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Unfortunately yes, I got a smog check form last month....

So cheaper reg, but looks like they fixed the back end (for me at least)

19. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm planning to tell my local DMV to shove their historic plate up their A@@

20. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You can thank ex-gov arnold schwarzenegger for that ... what an *******.

21. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Hey everyone, I have historic plates on my 1990 348TB (since March 2019). My tags expired in November but I just now noticed I never received a renewal notice. I was under the impression that my registration cost would drop down 75% yet I would still need to have it smogged every two years.

I called DMV this morning and they advised that vehicles with historic plates no longer require registration renewals or SMOG checks! WOO HOO! There is however a $2 annual fee that must be paid. Other than that, renewal and smog exempt for the life of the car as long as it has historic plates.

Anyways, thought I'd share this great news with all of you.

DMV site:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch21/ch21_25

22. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl

Please disregard the smog exemption, DMV made a mistake and added my car to "exempt due to stature" but has now put it back into the smog system :(

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No longer requiring tag renewal? Is this a new 2020 law? I just renewed my 89 328 last year with its historical plate.

24. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Good question, my tags expired in Nov 2019 so i should have received a renewal notice but didn't. When I called DMV and BAR they both said no additional renewal fees and that I only had to pay $2 VLS fee every year moving forward.

25. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After seven or is it eight year of having historical plate on my 84 QV, last year 2019 was the first time I’m required to get a smog certs. as the new law has changed but I’m still keeping my historical plate just in case.