does anybody other than me miss Pininfarina? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

does anybody other than me miss Pininfarina?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm glad you guys finally agree the mondial is pretty.

:)

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes!

Seems like newer cars are designed by a committee and don't always flow as a total concept. I liked all of the earlier Pininfarina designs perhaps when the Euro pedestrian laws came into effect that took some of the grace from all car designs. I have noticed the same lack of grace in other manufactures as well - Merc, BMW, Audi even Jag and AM just don't seem to have the same "eye appeal" as older designs which didn't have deal with the new laws.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 'grace' lost in the front end design for front end engine cars is understandable.....but the 'grace' (or all sense of design) lost in the rear end of these front engine cars is inexcusable.

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The 812 has some really good potential to it. It just seems to get mangled and lost in the details.

5. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The new Ferrari designs like the 488, GTC4 and 812 are just tinkered with Pininfarina designs. I want to see what fresh ideas Ferrari comes up with on their own. The 812 is a horrible update to the f12. IMO the front and back were designed by two different people who have never met.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The La Ferrari was designed in house.....

7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I think the previous generation Aston Martins are nicer than their new line up. The DB11 just doesn't do it for me like the DB9 did when it came out.

Having said that, I think the current Jaguar lineup is fairly beautiful, they look much better in person than pics maybe. Likewise, Mercedes is going in the right direction.

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I think Ferrari USED to be an exception.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And they did a terrific job...

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, he is dead.

So, we really don't have a choice?

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    matter of opinion of course....

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No I think he really is dead :D

13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This car knocked my socks off when I first saw it! I first saw the original Pontoon 250 Testa Rossa as a small boy at a auto show and from then on I knew I wanted to have a Ferrari. It wasn't until much later I found out that Pininfarina designed the car not Ferrari. Perhaps that is why I finally ended up with a 612 Scaglietti OTO car.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It makes me sad that the owner of a Gallardo didn't even know what a 360 was...

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    just to clarify....my comment was in reference to the post by acemaster, and not that of Bigtex.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Did you not read my post? Scaglietti designed the Pontoon 250 Testa Rossa, NOT Pininfarina. Congratulations on your 612 Scaglietti OTO. It's a fabulous car!!!

18. Dodger

Dodger Rookie

Jan 17, 2014
    I have a new 488 Spider. I hate to say it but compared to the competition, the car is under powered. Yes, it feels faster than my several 458's, but that is mostly the low end torque of the turbo. The car is hardly faster than a 458. The 488 needs 725-750 horses just to be competitive at its weight. Wake up Marchione, these cars are having their doors blown off by McLaren and Lamboghini and Porsche!!!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would say less powered, but underpowered? what, is Ferrari trying to have a HP war and we'll expect 4-digit HP cars soon? Most of that power is unusable, just ask F12 owners. I would prefer unique and superior looks, high quality, "best in class" handling, and usable power with great sounds on the street.

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes, but I was under the impression that Scaglietti subsequently became a part of or was acquired by Pininfarina? Is this not correct? I thought I read this somewhere, is this totally incorrect? If so what happened to Scaglietti? I thought Pininfarina designed and named the 612 to honor a former employee of theirs. I got that impression from some literature I read talking about the 612. Not that the impression influenced my decision to get a 612, I just thought it is a great looking car and a great value for a V12 Ferrari.

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    this!

22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Unless you are racing for money, what matters is how fast it feels, not how fast it actually is.

Unless you are just looking for statistical bragging rights

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, the difference is you have left it all on the tarmac at the race track. This means you have nothing to prove and everything to lose on the street. Frankly, 400 hp is more than enough on the street. Anything more is stupid. Yeah, poseurs argue about 0-60 times, but who really cares? The only relevant issue is whether a car is fun to drive without doing incredibly stupid things.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My readings indicated that Scaglietti built the 250 TR based on a Pininfarina design, but there were more than one 250 TR design ... But yes I also thought it was a Scaglietti design, but now not sure.
    Pete

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Pete: See here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145347239-post73.html