is there a market for entire houses in houston | Page 2 | FerrariChat

is there a market for entire houses in houston

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ross, Apr 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i thought about that this weekend....but it obliges me to buy 2 properties...but may be worth it

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Again, you might want to wait and see what the Legislature does on historical housing.

3. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Or just a thought...can you make a deal with the seller to just knock down the house first and then you purchase the lot? The new buyer may have restrictions due to its historical nature but couldn't the current owner do whatever they want with the property?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No.

5. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Out of curiosity what is the penalty for taking down a historical property you own without city permission?

6. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    That style of house is appreciating rapidly here in DFW. Average price has doubled per sq ft in the last year in most historic neighborhoods for craftsman style homes.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well the last lot to "become available" in this area involved drugs, murder and a house fire....

But, it DID make a vacant lot.

He's in a tiny area of a Historical District so it's Deed Covenants.

There are no City restrictions on tear downs.

The Hare Krishna Temple starts at 6PM Friday, and by the time the sun rises on Monday the trees are gone, the house is removed, and fresh grass is growing.....

It's an art.....
    :D :D :D

8. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to chime in and tell you that I was in a similar situation with a house on Algregg Street in the Heights. I posted the house on Craigslist for free and gave the details in the ad of what was required to be able to move it. One of the people that contacted me was James Drake with Drake homes. I just wanted the house out of there and it was pretty ratty anyway, so I made a deal with him for him to just pay for the utility/sewer disconnect charges and he could have the house. They had it on a trailer in a few days and it took a couple of weeks to get their plan/route approved by the city so they could move it. They were professional and didn't cause any problems for me in the course of moving the house. I gather you're in one of the historic districts in the Heights..... Mine was between Norhill heights and the greater heights historic district, so I didn't have to deal with the restrictions, but I have a passing familiarity with them. It has been awhile since this was posted, but I have a piece of rental property in Northside Village East of the Heights with two houses on it. One of them is a basketcase and I've decided not to rehab it. Are you still wanting to move this house? If the price was right, I would possibly be interested in paying you for it and paying drake homes to move it to my property. PM me if you still have it and want to talk....... Alan

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Any update post-Harvey? I figure if there was a lot of flooding and yours survived, it would be easier to find a buyer to put the house on their lot. Of if yours flooded/destroyed, you could build what you want.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's in The Heights.....water stopped 12' short of my front door.

I am sure this home survived.
    Some flooding along TC Jester at 11th St., but that's water view anyway!!

11. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Minimal flooding in the Heights. That is why it is the Heights!

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have not looked at this for a little while. the house in question is part of the historic section and actually is one of the houses that makes up the ratio of original houses vs new houses to keep the historic designation balanced, and therefore i think my chances of getting it moved are not so great. however, your suggestion to just move it elsewhere within the heights might work, so i will re-open the case and revert to you.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is always smoking in bed......:D :D

Empty lot in the morning.