anybody own a mercedes SL65? | FerrariChat

anybody own a mercedes SL65?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ross, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    R230 body style - pre face lift ie the 4 headlights.

thinking of buying one.
    604 bhp and 738 lb/ft of torque. not wimpy.

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
    2006 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG - Road Test & Review - Automobile Magazine

basically this monster does 0-60 in about 3.6 (depending on who does the pedaling), and the 1/4 mile in 11.5-11.9 at nearly 120mph.

this is the same or better, than the f430 i have sitting in the garage here in houston.

seems adequate to be my daily driver

pls give me your thoughts

(for those of you wondering why i am not pulling the trigger on the maserati, i cannot find one without issues. suspension bushings, variators, clutch life, etc etc all issues costing thousands have been discovered in my due diligence across several cars. it just seems that out of warranty, these cars are a time bomb).

2. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    I've actually owned three of them. Fantastic cars. Other people will chime in about repair costs but I never had any problems. Bought all of mine pre-owned and I put real miles on my cars so I think it's a good test. The torque is wonderful. Had my last one tuned by Renntech. Not the best handling car but other than that, they are wonderful!

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks.
    not looking to track it. the brief is to be my daily, or short trip car, that doesnt attract unwanted detection but can run with just about anybody, and doesnt bore me.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My dad had two as I was growing up. First was an s500 I think 2004 and it was low on power although it felt fast to me as a kid. Second was a '08/9 s63 right before they changed the style. In my opinion it's the best looking of the SL's ('03-'09)since the original gullwing. The top makes it wonderfully flexible. The SL class has gotten worse looking since '09. I loved the car.

Bad story. When I was 24 I took the s63 without him knowing and some girl texting on her phone rammed into the back of it :(.

5. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Don't do it. It is overweight and handles like a hippo.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My only complaint was that the traction control came on so easily that unless you were going in a straight line it would be cutting power too often. Take of the traction control and it is hard to keep it going straight if you like going fast. If you are the type that like cars that car handle the tight curves, it is probably not the car for you, steering is a bit numb and you feel the weight. If you don't pretend it is a sports car (which it is not) and don't push it past 7/10th's it is a nice ride.

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not so. It has ABC (active body control), the car handles amazingly well for what it is. Now, if you need repairs on the ABC, ouch!!!! Flush the fluid every 3-4 years, just like a tranny or diff and you should be OK.

CL65 is the bigger brother. No convertible, but back seat and probably flies under the radar even better. Not much slower due to extra weight. Body style for 2005 and 2006.

Regards,
    Jerry