TR Gas cap help | FerrariChat

TR Gas cap help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by RD75, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RD75

RD75 Rookie

Jun 8, 2015
    Hello,

Unfortunately I just realized that someone has stolen my 88 TR gas cap.

Are these specific for only TRs or can I look at other models and years to hopefully find. Any possible ideas where I should look?

Thanks

RD75

2. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There's one on Flea Bay right now for $43.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Search on the F PN "113401" -- that will give you two threads: one with pictures/information, and the cross-reference thread. However, it's your homework to paw thru the cross-reference thread to find it ;)

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I have to open my 87 TR with a key?

5. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Exactly - I recall all TRs/512TR/M that I've ever seen have locking gas flaps and you can't leave them unlocked. The gas cap is hard to steal without being an inside job with access to the key or accidentally leaving it somewhere (shop access or you leaving the cap at the gas station).

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Tonight on America's Most Wanted... Joe Blow was a mild-mannered mechanic until he glimpsed the glorious and beautiful Testarossa screw-on gas cap. He realized at that moment he had to add it to his collection. Now he's on the run accused of gas-cap thievery... Help us send this creep to jail for a long time! Call now!

7. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Yeah pretty hard to have one of these swiped. Years ago I left mine on the top of the pump. Went to a car show and realized I forgot it. Got back to the pump 6hrs later and it was still there. Lucky me. :)

8. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    So the question is....was it stolen OR did he lose it and is too embarrassed to admit it? Far more important than helping him find the part.

Thinking about it...........Ok it would be difficult to steal but I'm gonna....believe him!

PS - Checked a few places its in stock and Ebay has an aluminum one!

9. RD75

RD75 Rookie

Jun 8, 2015
    Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful.

But yes- I have now admit that since I live in Colorado- I must have had a Colorado moment at the Shell station, cause I did find it this afternoon. 2 weeks after the fill up!

Lost and found. Had to go twice to wait for the manager to finally open the main office. But yes- it was there.

And yes- these are very hard to steal as there is a key lock for the gas door, however I do have to mention here that I do typically open the whole back (mine never really locks down well), as one to check the oil, but also to not scratch the pretty paint around the gas door. So it is possible to steal. Maybe....

Since I did all the research to buy a new one today before reading all your -YES- very helpful comments and going to look for my cap, here's what I found;

Earlier TRs (mine is a 11/87) have the bare, black, very minimalist gas cap. and they run about $240 (best I found) to $350. The one on Ebay (with the whole in the center and a ridge around the perimeter) oddly enough has the same Ferrari part #, and will fit, but it's not what the earlier TRs left the factory with (or possibly any TR-but again will fit).

Thanks again all,

RD75

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    RD75,
    If your back hatch does not lock down, there is an adjustment, and you have to drop it from about 1 1/2 foot!

11. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't recommend this. I gently lower mine down then press the corners/edges until I hear the latches click. I use a microfiber towel to cushion my hand/clean off palm prints. I use the same procedure for the front hood.

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Same here. Lower by hand and I click the latches closed with a mf towel. I cringe when I see people just drop them from a height to close them.

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Mine wont latch if closed slowly. I need to adjust catch!

14. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I lost my gas cap at some point (forgot to screw it back on and drove away...), and after searching for a little while, I found out that the TR gas cap is 100% identical to some Fiat gas caps of the era, as neither have a Ferrari or Fiat logo on them. If you look for "gas cap" with the search tool in the TR section, you'll find my old posts on this and the matching Fiat models. I paid mine 17$ brand new if I recall. I bought a bunch, two or three, in case.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Grab a nice 360 gas cap. It will work, and it's very pretty.