The FXX K Thread | Page 56 | FerrariChat

The FXX K Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by MisterMaranello, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Amazing how ch drives a multi million $ fxxk like he stole it all within few feet of guardrails! Whos crazier him or owner? No one else does that. Fantastic skills and nerves

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    The wonders of a camera....sliding a car around is not difficult, it is actually easier than going quickly...

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Well i was thinking of going to budapest for the only drift school in world i can find but switzerland is closer. Want to teach me? Lol.

Seriously, what do you think theyre doing with camera work to make it look like more than it was?

4. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Just go to a snow and ice covered parking lot and slide a car around. It is really quite easy. Also the FXXK has a highly developed side slip angle system that allows you to slide all around but won't let it go too far. The camera helps as you will note that a lot of the slides are captured in slow motion. This creates the image of the massive power slide.

Chris is a good guy. Raced against him in the Blancpain Endurance Championship last year, but there is nothing magical to "the slide"....

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What do you think about his remarks that the K is like an extremely fast road car and not like a race car?

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    When did he say that? On tg? I mustve missed it in my trance like state of worshipping.

7. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Firstly, for Daytona the set up of the cars was modified to deal with the banking. The ride heights were altered, softer springs were put on and specific tyres for the banking were provided by Pirelli, all of this after a lot of testing. There is nothing unusual about this. For the Rolex 24, Continental supply a Daytona-specific tyre.

The result was that the car was a lot softer, and had a greater tendency to roll while at the same time dealing with tyres that were harder and therefore less grippy.
    So Harris' comment is justified when considering that he has no other experience of the car. In the meantime, the FXXK ran between 1,5 and 2 seconds quicker during the Ferrari Finals than the fastest GTD cars during the Rolex 24....

The car is less of an all out racing car than a purpose-built GT racing car and carries over certain elements from the road car, but it is the LaFerrari that is an extremely fast road car, the FXXK is a laboratory for the future in racing car clothes that do not respond to any specific regulation, making it truly amazing.

I have had the privilege to drive some of the most amazing racing and road cars in the world and in anger. I have had the joy of winning a major championship, so I think my appreciation is fairly objective. The FXXK, in which I have done some 2500 kms, is definitely a whole lot more than a fast road car!! Sorry, Harris!!

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thank you ChalStrad! Your input is always priceless!!!

9. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Peter, looking forward to see the EVO! FXXK is my favourite Ferrari Style masterpiece of all time and it truly deserves red dot award. Just wonder when Ferrari will put active camber and toe control patented some years ago into production cars. When it will happen, we will see even more exciting things.

10. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    I think that the FXXK is quicker at Dayona because it's 50 km/h faster than a GTD in the banking!

11. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    If it were as simple as that, then the FXXKs would have been faster than the F1 cars at Daytona too...and believe me they were not!!

My 333 was 45 km/h slower on the banking than my K but 2 secs/lap faster....

CQFD

12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012

+1

13. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    IMHO Daytona is a fast circuit, that's why the 1000 hp FXXK is so quick. But I don't think that at Mugello the FXXK is 2 sec/lap faster than a GT3/GTD (which can do 1.46).

So the 333 is still very fast! It runs on Avon tyres?

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Incredible for a car that was last updated at the end of the 90s/early 2000s!

15. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    Dallara + 1,3 kg/hp!

16. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Mugello about the same. Depends of course on the driver.

333 runs on Michelin

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Very interesting. How fast do you reckon that the FXX-K is down Monza's main straight? MS recorded some 378odd clicks in unofficial testing in the F2004.

18. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    Ok course, same driver et same day/condition. And 1.46 is a PRO driver laptime. As you know the FXXK and the 488 GT3, which one is easier to drive? I saw the 488 in action, it is stable like a mini lmp3, great car.

19. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    I guess 315-320 km/h? Mugello is about the same top speed.

20. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Where the 488 is concerned, it depends on several factors: notably, what tyres the car is running (there is a significant difference) and what BoP the car is running. This last point is key as it has a real effect on car set up and driveability
    The FXXK has all the power in the world which helps hugely but is a heavier car, even though it is very well balanced.
    The FXXK is an easy car to drive "quickly" but much more complicated to drive on the limit, which makes it very interesting!!

21. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  22. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    The beautiful and screaming V12s that we love, shot @ Mugello Circuit (thx to Marchettino):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gciB_E6lPM[/ame]

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    awesome footage! thanks.

hope they change the ugly rear wing set up on the next version though. I didn't like it on the 599xx and same here

24. jikmik

jikmik Karting

Nov 14, 2008
    Denmark , Naestved
    Full Name:
    Jimmy