1988.5 Testarossa for sale | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1988.5 Testarossa for sale

Discussion in 'Cars' started by IAG, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JPMD

JPMD Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    FL
    Full Name:
    John
    This is terrible.

Hopefully the seller/sponsor has taken a permanent vacation from this site.

2. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Add me to those who believe Artie needs to man-up.

Silence is not golden when it comes to money.

Looks like Artie is a turd, but let's see if he redeems himself.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#78 dm_n_stuff, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While I appreciate that the car didn't measure up, I'd remind everyone that Florida is the land of the free and home of caveat emptor to the extreme, especially when it comes to cars. FL is where all the disaster cars come, not to die, but to be reborn as classics, semi-classics and driveable wrecks, without much fear of retribution. We have no state inspection system, a loosey goosey registration/insurance system in place, and more terrible used cars per square mile than anywhere I've EVER been.

And, I'd just add, while we all are relying on the listing online to hang our hats on, Artie's disclaimer on the bottom of every listing may be enough for him to wiggle out of this unscathed.

Sometimes you just pack it in and live with your mistakes, this is probably one of those instances. The "pressure" applied here isn't going to get these guys to pony up the cash, and frankly, I'm not sure he can be legally compelled to either.

I'd toss this one in the "experience" bucket and move along. Now that the car has been serviced, I'm betting it's still a great car that doesn't have a lot more invested in it than it's worth.

Oh, and if the last engine out was 2014, it was gonna be due for another this year anyway.

D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

I believe every car should come with a disclaimer and that every buyer should check it out. And I am not sure that the buyer has a legal case.

However, having said that, it is important that Artie explain his statements. While his disclaimer may protect him legally, it will not protect him from the public opinion that is so very important with sales people. If he said a full service was done--and then it wasn't--then he bears responsibility for those words.

In other words, he may not be legally culpable, but the question now is whether he has character and is a liar.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Should have done a proper inspection prior to purchasing. Did he give you receipts for the 2014 engine out? If so are they legit. Hard to prove. He owes you nothing. Is he ****** bag. Probably. It sucks but move on. Karma works its way around. No worries. You can never hide the smell of sh*t. It's always there.

Enjoy your car.

R

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

This, like most internet disasters, will disappear from the collective radar in a few weeks, never to be seen again, but by the select few who might google the dealer before doing business with him.

Sometimes no comment is the best path to follow. Artie may be brighter, or at least better schooled in internet based car sales, than we think.

D

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Totally agree. Nothing good comes out of Florida.

R

8. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Hey Artie. Any comment?

9. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Artie is on vacation.

10. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    As others have said repeatedly, the buyer should have done a PPI at minimum. I believe in talking to the people who did any work on the car even going back an owner and you have to get records and receipts. The buyer should just take this as a learning experience. It makes no sense to sue the seller, because you will never recover your legal costs, assuming you win. Plus, the lawsuit will take a lot of your time over maybe 2 years. And, if Artie has a good attorney, he won't lose...

11. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The fact (if it is a fact) that he was supposed to get 1/2 of his repair bill covered is the major issue here as I see it. Yes, he should have had a PPI, but when a dealer tells you he'll pay for something and then stiffs you......wow.....speaks volumes for the dealership.

12. Cva71

Cva71 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    I never get involved in conversations although reading Ferrarichat daily, would it be possible to do some quality control on who is listing on F-chat as an additional service to its members based on members history? Artie clearly seems to try to get away with his tricks in this instance. Would be great if no other F-chatter fals in his trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13. Cva71

Cva71 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    Maybe a suggestion for the platform is that users can rate/ review other F-chat users, this way issues like the sale by Artie of a TR can be avoided as Artie will show up with a poor rating. Currently all the remarks about F-chat users are in threads and all over the place.

My 2cts.

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

And, short of a written agreement to that effect, the OP is SOL.

I'd just chalk it up and move along, he's done what he can. Sometimes you just cut bait.

D

15. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    ^^ Right.

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    At least he's got a car. I lost over $6000 on a Ferrari I never had. Try to sue someone in USA from Canada, a lost battle which would cost more than the amount itself. Lesson learned!

17. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    You need to do more than a PPI. And to be frank, from my direct experience multiple times (dumb), stay away from the less well known Florida dealers. It's absolutely 1980's sleaze with a few of them. ;) (I said few and "less known" so don't get all sharty with me). Oh and I won't mention the names but even doing a PPI at an actual Factory dealer is tricky. Best to have a friend that is knowledgeable with the type of car, look at it and drive it, and do a PPI with explicit instructions and use a credit card with buyer protection so if they don't do the tests you want or what you want you can request a charge-back. Just the sheer thought of that will make people stand at attention.

Always lock in all costs, write it down, require or research maintenance, do both carfax and the other one, only use dealers with references you trust, PPI with explicit instructions, and always always always, drive the car yourself or get a trusted expert to do so as well.

In the first 60 days, it took about $7,000 to fix critical and important items and this had a recent major (note it's a 355 not a testarossa) and a very loving previous owner. I was prepared for this and more with some goodies I wanted as well.

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is what these threads, and the search function are for. Thinking of buying a car? Google the seller, then google the vin. You'd be amazed how much info comes up, including many of the threads here.

And, a simple "IAG Artie Florida" turned up multiple Fchat threads on the first page of a google search as well.

Homework people, do your homework.

D

19. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

This post above is from Feb 13. Artie, man-up.

Artie's silence is not golden.

20. FerrariSpiderSWE

Feb 12, 2017
    Artie, what a clown...!!! MAN UP

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#96 dm_n_stuff, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Cva71

Cva71 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015

Thx for sharing. Yes, doing research at the moment.

23. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    On the upside the buyer now has a nicely sorted TR for sub $90K. Drive it and enjoy it!! And post a couple pics, it's a sweet looking car. :)

24. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Active avoidance, denial. Running for his reputation?

The longer he lets this remain unresolved, the harder it will be to salvage his reputation.

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    This is what I thought the entire time...