Can't engage gears | FerrariChat

Can't engage gears

Discussion in '348/355' started by Racing-Baker, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Racing-Baker

Racing-Baker Karting

Jan 11, 2008
    Beveren Leie
    Full Name:
    Enzo Duquesnoy
    I seem to get followed by a clutch problem ever since the day i purched the car. From time to time when i fully press in my clutch (good pressure) i can't engage any gear. Turn the car off, put it in gear and sometimes it goes away. But in the worst case the car starts driving slowly aldo fully pressed pedal.

I have replaced the slave cylinder, all the bearings on and in the clutch release bearing and the triple seals (aldo I'm not sure if they are placed 100% correct). I bleeded the system 3 times.
    What is wrong here??
    Please help :(

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Have you checked the adjustment for the shift linkage?

And what model are we talking about?
    348?
    355?

It would help if you had your profile filled out.

3. Racing-Baker

Racing-Baker Karting

Jan 11, 2008
    Beveren Leie
    Full Name:
    Enzo Duquesnoy
    Sorry, i was talking about a 348.
    I do sell classic cars so my collection adjust from time to time. To me it's a collection. My cars are all chosen for my personal intrest and are all registered and driven. By selling my collection grows.
    So i would need my profile adjusted very often.

Today I tested it again.
    The (other) problem is it only occurs now and then. And if i wait for a minute or so it's gone. Just depends on bad luck if i have it or not. Today i had it 2 times. 3th gear mannaged. But the rest not.
    If it was a linkeage problem it would be there all the time?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

4. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds like linkage issue. And the easiest to tackle. So start there.

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    If you've done all the above with bearings and such, I would start at the linkage. Not too many things it could be - especially after you tackled the most popular things and she's still acting up.

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Also look at the motor mounts, may be causing a intermittent mis alignment

A friends 355 if he parks on a hill he cant grab a gear due to flex

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    and tranny mounts.....

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    This suggests that the clutch is sometimes not disengaging fully. I had similar problem on a couple of other cars - on one, the clutch pressure plate spring had cracked; on the other, the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel had come loose.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Obvious one is having air in system.

10. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Try checking the exact position of the gear lever in the gate in complete neutral, do you see a slight difference where the middle point is, between a good moment and a moment in which this occurs? Familiarise yourself with that middle point (between 3 and 4)
    As this is easier than waiting for it to happen again, then wait for it to go away so you can then find a lift to check the alignment underneath on the gearbox side...

11. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Master cylinder.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I was waiting to see how long it would take before someone actually read that part od the post. Got to love Ferrari chat. :)

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    When I replaced my clutch I installed a Hill Engineering TO bearing and flange, somehow air got into the MASTER cylinder. No matter how many times I bled it I still had a weak clutch disengagement. Even though it looked like it was pumping plenty of fluid when bleeding the air would stay in the master cylinder. I had to disconnect the line up front at the master cylinder and had my wife depress the clutch and then let it out after I plugged the hole so it couldn't such air back in and has to suck from the reservoir. A couple times of that and all the air came out and I had a strong clutch pressure again.

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I had to deadhead my clutch mc the same way a few years ago.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This is also a possibility, but it requires removing the clutch and taking it apart to inspect the pressure plate diaphragm.

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Bleeding is not allways straight forword.

If it used to work and niw does not and components were changed all is left is proper bleeding.

17. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    When I did work on the clutch and brakes (replaced clutch master & slave, replaced brake hoses and calipers etc.), I bled the almost empty system using a pressure bleeder. Just one round - clutch then calipers one by one and everything was perfect straight away. While bleeding each line, I could hear a lot of bubbling and gurgling along the lines. When it stopped (and clean fluid started coming out), I new the bleeding was completed.