maintenance | FerrariChat

maintenance

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Statler, Apr 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    so who here has surpassed the cost of the car maintaining it?

One of the problems with the Mondial is deferred maintenance. People buy them because they can and then run them into the ground.

I bought mine 4 years ago. It was well maintained so no complaints about previous owner at all. I've done more than half the cost of purchase in work (30K mile with motor out and torn down was 10K and we could have gone higher... debated injectors). But If I sold her for the last offer I had I still would have driven 20K miles for free, so its not a complaint.

But keeping the cars up to snuff isn't cheap... I have two B pillars new in box on the shelf... that's big $. Have a crack in foglight I need to address. She could use a paint correction. etc. etc. To keep her at a good level and at the same time drive the snot out of her does cost more money than a ford. And that's fine.

So anyone here who has spent more on the car then buying it? I'll be close within the next two years.

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Me. I spent equal to what I paid for the car in the first 18 months correcting lots of neglect and DIY maintenance. I knew the car needed some love and expected I'd pay 10-15. The bills ended up around reaching 25.

BUT, I'm picky about colour and nearly every car I saw needed some level of work. Considering a decent repaint costs around 20 ,or 15 for a new interior, I'm fine with how it played out. Also I get the pride of knowing I saved one from the long slow walk to being cut up for parts.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yep, over twelve years I have maintained and improved my 3.2 Cab to near perfection, but at a cost greater than the original purchase price, even with much of the work being done myself. I would say about 1/2 of the spend was on things that were age related and/or typical service necessities to keep the car as reliable as a modern car. The other half being discretionary things to bring the car to exceptional standard, as well as do some probably excessive preemptive things and also for some parts stored in my own "inventory" for future use. That said, I have enjoyed about 30,000km's of summer season enjoyment on a car that started out at 34,000km first owner use. Something to look forward to each year after winter storage is priceless, I remain excited each year to get the car back on the road (just brought it out last week, rain washed the salt away so good go for season #13!).

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If I'd had all the work done, definately been over purchase price. I haven't actually added up the receipts of parts and various services I've had done.

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I've had mine for 2 years now. I bought a very well maintained, very well documented car with 65K miles on her.

Maintenance has been fairly low. Fluid changes, new battery, new tires, new power antenna. I also replaced non-functional hood and trunk struts - fairly cheap.

I replaced the sun-roof motor with a salvage Porsche 944 part from a junkyard (about $15).

I did re-dye my leather at a total cost of about $500.

Counting tires, battery, fluids, and misc fixes, I probably have $3K in the car to date, over the past 2 years.

However, the big expense is coming up this year. It's belt change time. My son (certified ASE mechanic) and I will do the labor, so it's just the cost of parts. I also need to replace the fuse board and the A/C compressor this year. All in, I'm expecting about $3K in parts this year.

So, $6K for 3 years of ownership. Not bad.

Sid

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I've had my 3.2 for 16 years and put 60,000 miles on it. My cost of repairs/maintenence is about 60-65% of my original purchase price, but I do quite a bit of work myself. PV Dirk, are you afraid to add up all your receipts? :)

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Normal part of the exotic car lifecycle.

The first Ferrari I ever worked on needed a valve job. It cost more than the car was worth. It was a 250. Many wound up with V8's because an overhaul was 2 or 3 times the value of the car.

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #8 jgoodman, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Two majors (one engine out and one engine in), tires, parts, more parts, clutch slave repair x 2, refinished rims, Hank cab cover, batteries x 3, A/C repair, fluids, inspection, interior redye, a Classiche Certification, etc and I definitely have spent more on repairs/maintenance/service than the purchase price of my car.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    We need to keep perspective. Just about any car from the 80s could do this. A more recent example. I have an 04 Ford Expedition. It's worth $4k. I've put 4K or more in it in the last two years. Updated cooling hoses. New tires. Leaky rear end. Spark plugs. Engine oil leak. It has just under 100k miles and I keep it to tow with. It's easy to do on just about any car that is aging. It is just scarier on a $30k car. It's also not guaranteed so we might feel bad if our car takes this much. I just see it as normal in the aged car game.

10. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree.

How many cars that are 25-30 years old and cost under $100k when new still are worth $30-$50k?

Sure the maintenance offsets some lack of depreciation. I can lease a Honda Accord for $2500 a year (which I think is the typical average spent on Mondial maintenance) but even if you spend $5000 a year for 10 years (which is high I hope!!), that is not much different that leasing your lower or middle end MB, BMW or Audi or equivalent at about the same $400 per month (maintenance included).

Now really, which car would you rather drive? ;)

Regards,
    Jerry

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Which car would we rather drive? Well, Jerry, here we all are on F'Chat, so my guess is ... :)
    Nice way to distill the question!

12. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I am a believer of these cars being as good as who services them. I wish I had the knowledge I do now, four years ago. I would have saved thousands of dollars sending my car to the right person the first time around.

A great business owner has enough business to fix cars right the first time. Many Indy shops half-ass fix or don't fix cars properly for two reasons.
    A. You will be back soon to give them more business
    B. They lack in-depth knowledge of specific models, they are not innovative and willing to address problems before they present themselves.

13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have owned mine almost five years to the day. Spent much more than purchase price on repairs, maintenance and general prettying up. I bought it to wear it out and start over again.

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Fred, how many miles have you driven the M in 5 years, if I may ask?

15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    This. Biggest issue with any marque/model of car today.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The material costs are really not that much. It's the labor.

I don't fault shops for charging the exorbitant amounts the do, because that's what it costs to stay in business these days.

For Ferrari owners that don't do their own maintenance, you are really missing half the fun. At least obtain the excellent parts, and service manuals that Ferrari publishes. Study them, so you have some idea what your mechanic is up to.

17. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    The problem with buying an old Ferrari is many are not driven much by previous owner(s). When the car sits and is not driven, most owners don't know what is wrong with vehicle. Many will sit, because owners can't afford the repairs. That is why it costs $1 per mile on average (this is close to my average cost of repairs) for owners who actually drive the cars.

If you only drive the car 100 miles per month, nothing breaks with so little usage. This profile seems to be a common 80's vintage Ferrari seller. My car had 21,000 original miles and was over 25 years old. That is an average of only 807 miles per year.

I have owned my Mondial about six years now and have driven over 20,000 miles to date. Just finished a 500+ mile Ferrari Hill Country Central Texas group trip two weeks ago. I have spent about 70% of the original cost. My car appeared to be in good shape and had extensive service records and even a recent belt service.

But only after driving car a few thousand miles did I realize there were cooling problems, hot start problems, stalling problems, oil leaks, fuse box problems, old metric tires, non working switches, erratic idle, broken blinker/light stalk switches, slow window motors, leaking cooling system, rotted radiator hoses, leaking gaskets and drive shaft seals. I did a belt service as well. This is just a short list. And, I have not done a major engine service (adjust valves). Interior still needs to be replaced, and there is a rip in top. I also purchased the pillars.

Like many fchatters, I probably will keep mine for many years because it is 80% sorted now, at least mechanically. And a major service is due next year. The well sorted Ferraris are keepers and don’t seem to go for sale very often. Most of the ones for sale are probably neglected or have an unknown history which is a shame.

BTW, if you have not already made the mentioned repairs above, you most likely will soon.