stunt driving charges laid on hwy 400 | FerrariChat

stunt driving charges laid on hwy 400

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ragtop1, Apr 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  2. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    That 7 day suspension is a horrible law, and basically allowing the police to presume you're guilty. So much for fundamental justice. That impound law makes me angry. I've not had the pleasure of dealing with it, but what happens if you're found not guilty. Will the province reimburse you for impound, and towing ( I'm guessing all those cars were flatbed, so the cost was higher than a standard tow)

Plus, from what I'm understanding, the police were pulling people over based on other drivers' complaints. Not cool in my books!

I'm really curious to see how this plays out.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Don't drive like dickheads and this would not happen.

We have race tracks ...
    Pete

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    M'eh.. We have all driven like idiots. These guys got caught. I thank god I was never caught, well except once. Let me tell you, I was going far faster then these guy were.

5. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    The proofs were based on stories from other drivers, that explained everything. You know, these days if you drive super cars, before you start the engine, people starting to blah blah blah that you are an economic criminal, drug dealer, etc. And then if you drive slow, they say that you are showing off, but if you drive fast, they say that you are going to kill people. I've seen many double cabin trucks drive recklessly at high speed, it's just nobody got jealous, so no phone call made. I thought only politicians were playing the rich against the poor to gain public support, turns out now police officers are doing the same.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #6 PSk, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Yes I have too, but the important thing now is if you are driving with other "club" cars you must not be being silly because then if caught it is deemed street racing. In Australia that can cause your car to be crushed as it is a understandably serious offense ... but on the other hand, very easy to get caught doing when not ... things have changed since I was a young man, and now roads are way too populated to play on them.

So convoys are now convoys, not egging each other on and having too much fun as the anti-fun brigade will call the cops. If you want to have fun, you have to go to a race track. Now that sounds ridiculous but sometimes these convoys get out of hand and often it is the completely innocent family that is wiped out as they were puttering along minding their own business.
    Pete
    ps: I'm pretty confident that these guys were speeding, per the letter of the law, and weaving in and out of other cars (ie. lane changing more than once) ... Heck I've had somebody complain that I drove a work truck around a corner too fast ... rubbish, but they were walking and I guess it looked fast, so I got told off by the boss.

7. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Cops are just jealous.

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  9. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Canada a sad draconian joke.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Driving with passengers and other cars in a convoy is always potentially more dangerous and is why I prefer to drive alone. If you are doing a club drive make sure you know the address of the mid-point destination(s) you are visiting with the group and enter it(them) on your SATNAV or smartphone app. Sometimes people go too fast and then other people have to reluctantly try to stay in contact just to avoid getting lost because they don't know the route.

If you have the destination location(s) on your SATNAV you don't have to speed up to avoid getting lost. Just drive a safe speed and get there when you get there. It's advisable to have mature lead drivers in the convoy to keep the speed down or at least pick up the stragglers to avoid these situations. I used to do bicycle club rides and it's the same mentality but bike club rides are very well organized. They would have separate groups of fast, medium-pace and slow riders so the pace is not frantic and everyone rides smoothly within their comfort zone.

11. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    (I'm sure I will get flamed by some people for this)

Speeding??? The speed limits on the major highways in Canada are about 20mph below the flow of traffic most times.

My god, lane changing more than once? Lock them up and toss the key!!!

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I live up in the mountain, and every spring-summer, some bicycles going 60kmh downhill in residential areas. I think this is as dangerous as Ferrari going 150kmh on highway.

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Racetracks favor skill over bravado. Looks like these guys were asking for it.
    The Lambo owner(of course) with the clever saying on the driver's door glass might not be laughing now.

14. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ya try speeding in the U.S in some state's if your doing over 160kph or 100mph they take you to jail.

15. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree that speed limits are often too low. I agree that some drivers and cars are truly capable of higher speeds and spirited driving, while others are not. But, too many drivers, from all demographics, seem to believe the rules don't apply to them, e.g., excess speed, running red lights, blocking the left lane, making a left turn outside of permitted times, etc., etc.. Owning a high performance car, be it Honda or Ferrari, does not give "entitlement." Innocent until proven guilty, yes, but the police have an immediate duty to the public. No sympathy from me.

16. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    When you drive a Honda civic or Ford pick up and do all these against-the-rules stuff, nobody will call the police or willing to tell a "story" about how dangerous was your driving. But when you drive expensive cars, people will feel like a hero for doing so. This is the moral of the story.

17. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I did 300km yesterday. Most of it on Hwy 400. Set the cruise at
    100 km/hr, had a coffee each way,listened to cfrb, stayed in the curb lane 95% of
    the time. No ticket, no drama.
    AllI hear is blah blah blah - no sympathy

18. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    If you were driving 100kmh then you must have been the slowest guy on the road for sure. Even on hwy69 everyone drives over 100kmh

Did the 401 from Kingston to London 10 times in the last 10 weeks and unless it is rush hour 100 Kmh is slow at times the flow can be in excess of 140 Kmh.

19. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I do an average of 100,000 per year. I drive to Ottawa, Montreal, Lansing Michigan and return same day. I have learned over the years to find the right balance of time, fuel
    efficiency, destressing. I am not saying I do not drive at times 110 or 115 in a 100 zone, but it is strategically done to maximize the balance and in non peak areas.Now a days I just allow more time. Driving south on the 400 it is an hour drive to Toronto. So these guys could have arrived in
    50 minutes - I guess that reasonably explains their actions. Wait till the insurance companies pull up their driver abstract on renewal - oops the insult to
    Injury increase. I see now why I pay between $120 to max $600 per year for insurance on my classic cars .... oh well, time to get ready and guide my son on how to change the 12 spark plugs on his v6 Benz.

20. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    Good for you for staying in the curb lane. There are way too many Kai and Hundai in the passing lane at 105km.

There are different levels of drivers and the licensing system does not recognise that. Some people should not ab able to use the 400 series hiways.

21. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    You wont get a ticket for doing up to 120 kph on a 400 series hwy. Its the unwritten law and I've discussed it with many cops that will confess to this. I you are making proper lane changes using your signals and driving courteously and defensively, the police wont bother you.
    The 400 is no place for spirited driving though.

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Larry,Next time you speak with an OPP if you know them ....ask about doing 135 in the left lane and then pulling over back to centre lane when passing someone and going back down to 110-120 .... Is that something they overlook on the 400 series ?

23. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    #23 ragtop1, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Hello red,
    Of course not. As I stated... keep it under 120 and drive courteously to avoid prosecution. Those guys are a menice and cause a lot of grief and stress on the roads.

24. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Ultimately, it's up to the discretion of the cop in the cruiser to ignore the blatant violation that Big red described. Safety is also a large factor getting someone pulled over to a protected shoulder in certain areas. A common deterrent is chasing then following the perpetrator as a warning. There are also "blitz" weeks that the police enforce profusely such as distracted driving, no seat belts, impaired, speeding etc. These items are discussed at the start of shift meetings. My friend is a retired Sargent from the Chatham Kent area, and I think you would agree that some rules may differ in the GTA.

25. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The annoyance is those guys in the centre lane that are doing 90 at best then decide to speed up as they see you get in the left lane to over take them. Or better still, those drivers in the left passing lane doing 90 and you get in the right and find yourself at 120 and they all of a sudden are beside you :(