Accessing The Owners Forum | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Accessing The Owners Forum

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NeuroBeaker, Aug 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Hi there

The reason that paperwork isn't sufficient is that we have had people fake paperwork and ownership in the past -- even of 1-off cars! Titles, registrations, photographs (and birth certificates) are ridiculously easy to forge these days.

While it is possible that someone would beg, borrow, or steal a car to show up at a meeting, it's less likely than fiddling with the bits on an image.

Besides, the point of a forum is to meet someone else. All you need is three subscribed users who have seen you with your car and will respond to a PM request from moderators.

2. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Respect Patrick ;). A fellow soul :).

3. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    I get all of this but, seriously. This isn't a club for people who have stepped on the moon. It's just a forum for people who own a particular marque of car.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    GAVIT = low life troll, move along everyone.

5. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Rob, you poor soul, I feel for you. Your sadness precedes you ;)

6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Gavit, when I read your reply to NeuroBeaker it did sound a little condescending. Maybe that is the internet (no facial expressions or tones on the WWW) and not you but I always attempt to proof read my comments because I for sure have fell foul of typing something in all innocence and then me sounding like a right prick :)

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I'm in north Bristol, and as I've said many times here, I'm happy to meet and verify owners as one of the three, but I must say, when I wanted to join the owners forum, and wrote threads on big car meets and shows where you would expect fchatters to be and en-masse verify each other, I've never yet had a positive reply, let alone actually meet with anyone. Maybe it's just the UK, we aren't a social culture at all, unlike the US. It's why I love the US. I can sit in a bar all alone and within minutes make a whole group of new friends, and end up having drinks, going for dinner and generally having an awesome time. In the U.K., if anyone talks to you in a bar, they are either wanting a fight, or telling you someone wants a fight hehehe

Themaven and ntatfas like this.
  8. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Well mine's in Northampton for a belt service and general fettling but I work in Bristol so once she's back maybe we can arrange a little s/w run one Sunday, through Cheddar or similar?

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Can do Derek, although I actually sold my 458 end of last year, due to cancer being painful I have a Bentley GTC Speed for the air suspension!

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Owners who are looking for other users nearby can do the following:

- go to the Search drop down on the left of the menu bar and select Members List, which will then show a complete list of users

- on the Members List page, go to the right hand side, just below the page navigation bar, and go to the Search Members drop down and select Advanced Search

- on the Advanced Search criteria page, enter the desired town, city, county, state, or country in the Location field.

The results returned are for those that have filled out their profile with a standard location, so there are probably even more than those results, but we just don't have a way to filter for them. You should also consider different ways that users might identify their location.

I entered "London" and got 510 results. I entered "Bristol" and got 19 results. I entered "Melksham" and got 2 results. Be sure to check the "Last Visited" field in the posted results as some users are inactive.

IanF likes this.
  11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Part of the objective, originally, was to promote contact, ACTUAL FACE TO FACE CONTACT, between owners/members here to gain access.

By making the requirement the acknowledgement of ownership by three other members here, you (the owner trying to gain access) would have to go out and socialize with other members here. You know, have fun?

We had several cars and coffee get togethers near Philly where folks were there to basically get access to the members forum. That C&C's survived, thrived in fact, and is still going today, many years later.

"How", you might ask, "Does Dave M. know this?"

Well, I was the first mod who did the vetting of owners here. And I put up with a lot of a-holes who felt they were better than the system, who tried to game me with sob stories about no access to other members, etc. Interestingly, if pushed, those who really wanted in found a way to make it work, and those who didn't think it was worth much effort, *****ed and moaned a lot, about the unfairness of the process.

Just tossing that into the mix. :D

D

JagShergill likes this.
  12. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    So I can see the Members List but there is no List of members, just "Notables", "Current Visitors" & "Recent Activity" so I cannot see the "Advanced" search – A screenshot would be great please.

As a way of short-cutting this. How about accepting UK Ferrari Owner Club, Owner status. The only reason for joining the club is to go to events, C & C, "National Drive it day", etc. I really do not like the idea of asking the Regional area mods to send out an email asking who is and is not on FChat and might also have access to the owners forum.

Whilst I appreciate there are *(*^*^ pretending to own cars it is getting a little tedious trying to prove I own something and go to events.

On the assumption this will be dismissed please send the screenshot of the Members List access point.

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Those instructions are from the previous version of the forum software and no longer work.

ntatfas likes this.
  14. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
  15. smashersmith

smashersmith Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    westcountry uk
    Full Name:
    joe

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Buy something from a sponsor, have them verify you. Ferrari's ALWAYS need something!

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This is not a valid method of verification.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Not every sponsor, but the admin has declared an exception for certain longstanding, established sponsors, such as Ricambi America.

jimpo1 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I stand corrected. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Ricambi America likes this.
  20. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    bball16 likes this.
  21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In with many members of the Long Island Chapter of FCA.