Let American Airlines screw you over up to 6 times... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Let American Airlines screw you over up to 6 times...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by energy88, Jan 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    That plus EQMs and EQSs are earned at a rate of .5. That and the inability to be upgraded would bother me. Of course upgrades are typically given to the EP fliers and I haven't made it to that yet

Fingers crossed I won't have to fly basic economy.

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    A fair amount of EP with a couple holding on P.

One of the biggest components that made me prefer American Airlines is the upgrades. I just lost my Gold Status so I'll be a little disappointed to see it leave.

With Air Canada on the Tango fair they leave empty seats in First Class even if it is completely empty. This was odd for me at first since I have 50K (75K-100K above me). Wonder if this is what we will see with American and this new status.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    haha the best one I had recently was a flight to British Columbia that got me in at around 8:30 pm. Once I landed I had a 2 hour drive through the hills/mountains with snow. That one is near the top or the one that had me land at 11:30 pm followed by 3 hour drive to the hotel and a day of work starting 8:30am the following day.

But sometimes the stuff I hear to save $20 is a little crazy!

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What are you now? I got a handful of upgrades even at the Gold Status. Depends on the route really. Anything in TX good luck!

5. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

I never check a bag for all these reasons.
    Our whole family also does carry on when vacationing. It's so fast. And never gets lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I'm Gold. I traveled a lot for 8.5 weeks last year and with a couple vacations was able to make gold on my last flight. Im based out of Dallas so I don't really expect to be upgraded but there's always hope.

Last year was my first year of business travel and I see a lot of it in my future.

7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ill gladly answer any questions about the travel if you have any. I dont travel as much as some but about 125 under my belt last year im pretty seasoned!

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks for the offer! I had to learn pretty quickly and I got some good pointers from my dad who was EP for many years. I'll let you know if anything comes up

9. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Oh and one more excellent reason to fly carry on.
    When doing helicopter transfers no need to send bags by car and then wait for them - they can always accommodate carry on - walk off plane, walk on helicopter, no fuss no muss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I very rarely check a bag. Only time I do is for the month long trips where I simply can't get by with a carry on.

I have a Tortuga backpack, and have mastered the art of the 'roll' packing. It's amazing what you can fit if you take the time to do it right.

-Airlines can't lose my bag
    -Makes flight changes easier
    -Saves time both in and out
    -Avoids the cattle queue at baggage claim

When the airlines started charging for checked bags, people that used to check started using the overhead to save money. This end up screwing people like me. For me, it's not about the money, it's about the time and convenience of not checking a bag.

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'd say anything these days (after U.S. Air integrated) is damn difficult for upgrades. I'm platinum (I'm gold for life - 170k miles from platinum for life), have 45+ 500m upgrade certificates, and getting upgraded is just impossible it seems these days. Austin, New Orleans, Dallas, Nashville, Orange County, LA, Chicago, Phoenix, etc. etc.

And now with Platinum Pro, ugh. I just want my Platinum for life, because then I'm Oneworld Emerald which gets me into all Oneworld clubs regardless of airline or class of service.

12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    With so many airline mergers in recent years, the frequent flyer pool is now so large that hardly anybody can reap upgrades anymore.

13. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    There are so many people with status now. It's fun to watch a route that has a lot of business travelers (ex: DFW-ORD on a Monday at 7am) and by the time they call the non-status groups, a few people are left and the overhead bins are full. Also watching businessmen throw elbows to get on the plane is pretty funny :D

A couple weeks ago I flew IND-DFW and got upgraded. It was a pleasant surprise after a long week.

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

That does not surprise me. I have not seen it that bad yet - but out of SNA, doesn't matter what time of day - the status members easily number 35-40 people vying for space.

Most times (not all), I'm carrying a suitcase full of expensive electronics for work. I check my bag (with clothes) every time - there's no point to trying to bring aboard, especially with all my electronic stuff. But if I can't get overhead storage, I have no choice, I have to take another flight. I can't check in what I'm carrying, the airline won't insure, and occasionally I'm carrying a laser scanner that absolutely can't be checked in.

Status for me these days = not paying for seats with a bit more legroom (I'm 6'5" - very big deal), nor checked bags. Anything else, it's a bonus (translation = I won the airline lotto today).

15. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    + 100000

Every flight I've ever been on that's held up, it's because people are trying to board with 10 bags, 9 of which are too large. And they're never, ever in first class. It's always the cheapo travelers that think they should get special treatment.

16. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Every time I fly, the business travelers are elbowing and shoving to get up to the gate even though it's not their turn and I'm always having to yell "excuse me" and push through them as I fly first class. I guess I don't look the part in yoga pants, tee and flip flops. :)

17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Frontier does this btw. Check your bags ahead of time or it costs $60 at the gate.

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

No it won't - and there's blame on both passengers and airlines. I'll explain:

The overhead storage, there's not enough available for every passenger to put one bag in. Just one bag. Not two, not five, but one. And I'm talking regulation sized carry on bags. There clearly isn't enough space if the plane checks in full (your typical economy seat).

Second, all of the overhead bin storage isn't available. There's a number of bins that are reserved for the flight crew, or store medical equipment on the flights. That takes away from what's available. Regardless of the mathematical equation (plane/number of bags it could store), the next problem I'm going to describe doesn't become easier.

Next time you board a plane, take a look long and hard at the overhead spaces. Each overhead bin really holds 3 carry on (regulation sized bag 9x14x22) although in some cases you can get 4 smaller ones. Bins on a 737 for example are approximately 60" wide, which means that single bin that will hold a maximum of 4 carry on suitcases, but is meant for two rows of 3 (6 passengers). Translation? 2 passengers will not get overhead storage if the other 4 bring on suitcases. Again, one bin, 3-4 bags, two rows of passengers (6 total). In economy, that's what it is.

This is for your typical narrow body 737/757/A320. Regional Jets? Forget it. Wide body aircraft are also similarly equipped (although the 767 doesn't even manage to hold 2 bags per row).

I wouldn't pin all the blame on passengers - because I've seen plenty of passengers with one small bag that wouldn't fit in the overhead because they happen to be in the last boarding group.

Then, there's the group that brings on a full carry on bag, plus their big legal briefcase or overstuffed backpack, who INSIST it go in the overhead bin, again, taking away from suitcases when in fact it would fit under the seat in front of them. I see it with frequent fliers and those holding status with the airline most (and less from the average casual traveler).

Finally, for an airline to gate check a bag, it doesn't really slow the process down. It's only when they get on the plane and then find out that there's no room. And flight attendants that should be communicating with the gate agent on space remaining would mitigate this problem.

Charging $200 wouldn't fix the problem, you'd then create a nightmare of airlines having to rebook people who don't want to pay. And yes, that's what would happen - because there's zero guarantee of someone being ensured of storage aboard a plane, and thus it becomes the airlines fault. So nailing a passenger with an inflated fee wouldn't solve the problem.

Want to shorten the boarding process? Free checked bags, and instead charging for anything larger than a backpack as carry on baggage. At least then, everyone on board would be guaranteed some amount of storage, and those that insist on taking up the overhead space because they don't want to check their bag (and thus slow the boarding/deplaning process down) would have to pay accordingly.

Easily enforced at many Foreign airports - unless you get a tag showing you're permitted to take your carry on onboard from the check in desk, you aren't permitted to bring said bags aboard.

19. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Frontier charges $25 in advance, or $30 at the airport to check your bag. So it's not free either way (although $60 is certainly a lot more)

And Frontier is doing what I suggest of charging for carry-on bags

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    At first glance, that seems like a good idea. Shifts the drama and disappointment off the aircraft. However, now the issue needs to be delt with at the gate check or the main ticket counter which could delay many others checking in and delay gate departure. Of course, resolving the issue on terra firma means more security available to deal with unruly passengers.

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    ....and they get upset when you try to move through them to the gate where your group was just called.
    They should start loading the planes from the tail forward not the other way as it is, forgot how many times had a coffee or similar spilled on me, greasy and smelly food dropped on my head by people boarding after 1st class is already seated.

22. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    When I flew first on a 757 they boarded from the door behind first class. First class goes first and the flight attendants can easily start serving you while everyone boards behind you. Much more relaxing that way

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That would be ideal, when the entry is between both classes.
    Unfortunately, most domestic planes have the entry just behind the cockpit and everyone has to pass through 1st Class (where everyone is already seated), with drinks, food or very unhappy kids in their arms.

24. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That would be United Airlines. They always use the door behind 1st class. Delta sometimes. American never. Can't speak for Northwest or USAir when they were flying 757s, but likely not.

25. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    It was American Airlines. I guess I got lucky