Advice required for purchase of 246 Dino | FerrariChat

Advice required for purchase of 246 Dino

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MrF355, Apr 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I need the assistance of my fellow Aussie Ferrari experts. I have seen this ad for a 246 Dino and am interested to add her next to my 599. Its a 50K car which is on ebay for $47K going for $17,800, an absolute bargain on a different website. The guy selling is obviously not dreaming about the price which is a good start. I will offer him $20K and see what he says.

This is the link to the ad

https://kollectorcars.com/the-garage/1973-dino-ferrari-replica/

Next, upon acquiring this rare vehicle I will of course bring her along to Auto Italia next year instead of the 599 and park her next to the FMS cars that will be on display. I know this will impress everyone and I will of course seek the advice of Frank as to how to best prepare this fine rare POS for concourse. What is the consensus of my entering this Dino in Motorclassica in Melbourne later this year, I don't really want to upstage the F40s and La Ferrari (I am assuming that they will be there) but what the heck if you have a rare classic POS show it for all to see.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You're a funny boy :p

3. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I will of course be doing a full engine out job, cam belt change, new water pump, cam timing will be set by using the "she looks about right" method. I don't agree with this ***** use of a setting up the degree timing wheel for correct cam timing adjustment. Metho will clean out the carbies easily. Tarzan grip sourced from the Reject Shop will be used when the cam covers go back on and also on other critical parts of the engine. This way I will not have any engine weeps like the 348s. I will of course keep the cam covers period correct by not painting them crinkle red, I'm not one of those wanker types to do this. All work can only be entrusted to Ali Baba New Delhi Exotic car servicing at Canterbury Road, Punchbowl. I will also have them add some Ferrari cavalino stickers to the exterior body work, interior and underneath the car. They know how to place them correctly. I know the concourse judges will be impressed especially when they see them underneath the car. The stickers will of course be sourced from the Ferrari store. Have to use genuine not crappy replicas. I have already ordered them to get the 15% discount due to the Melbourne win. That win was magical, Forza Ferrari, maybe we win constructors this year and I get a new Constructors T shirt the 2007 one is getting a bit smelly and tatty. Sorry for the digress. If we win on Sunday and they offer a further 15% off I will order some more for the Dino and use for the 599 as well.

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Number plate is probably worth that much, car free

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    That ad is too funny. Why would they promote the owner as a Company Director/Collector. Company of 1 and collector of stamps? Rego on the car is worth more than those plates :p

That dealer only opened a month a go. They must be hipster owners, who closes on Monday and Tuesday and close @ 3.30pm. It's in the tiny lane from Norton St, they must get zero foot traffic at the best of times and they need to leave early and have 2 days off LOL

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    not quite.

Production of L-series Dinos was quite low in 1969 and they are rare in Australia. The FCA register has only one car, which is no longer in NSW, if in the country at all.

So nobody with a car to put the plate on. In any case, who would run a car on anything but club plates now that we have the 60 day system?

Plate collectors buy numeral-only plates. You might get a couple of grand for 69DINO but that would be the extent of it. The rest of the car is worth less than a restored Beetle.

7. Chrispy300

Chrispy300 Karting

Jul 30, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Paterson
    Enormous hipsters. The crap they are putting on instagram... There's as much about coffee and fancy toasted sangers as there is about cars!

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    In Qld,you can have personal plate's yet be on our crappy club rego scheme.

Is it correct(NTIGAF) that you can only run 'official',supplied club plate's in NSW?

9. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Their outside of the caryard stuff could revolve around the legal fraturnity...you know... barrista's.

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Yes, no choice for Historic plates in NSW.

But no stamp duty, no green slip and 60 days use - who cares about the vanity plate?

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Ian,could l ask you for some advice please,,
    being that my 328 turns 30 in a few months, would you recommend putting it on club/historic plates?
    I'm no longer a member of any car cluband haven't been for a few years now..
    I've just renewed the rego on it but might consider it for next year,,
    Mileage wise I'm lucky if I do 1000 kms a year..which equates to driving it once a week if l'm not working and it's not raining..

Also would you know if Historic plates affect comprehensive insurance?
    I'm currently insured with Shannons.
    Thanks

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    absolutely recommend it, 80% cost reduction. Join the FCA, get a pink slip, have the form signed by us, then visit your local registry. You'll also get a refund on whatever full rego you have left.

No change to comprehensive insurance, in fact a 60 day policy should cost less.

13. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks for your prompt reply,,
    I'm going to consider this option as the new 60 day pass rule seems to be the way to go..

Only concern is if the government decided to go back to the old set up when people begin to exploit the system..

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    the RMS people, at the info night organised by the RAC a few weeks ago, said that the historical rego system is regarded as a great success and has very low levels of misuse - far more compliance than the general rego system.

15. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Cool,thanks again Ian for
    your wealth of knowledge,,,much appreciated..

16. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Those number plates look so bad it would put me off doing it.

17. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Pity our moronic government in SA is too stupid to listen to sense like this.

18. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And ours, pathetic.

19. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    + 365 up here,in fact(and I believe I'm right),that the combined car clubs of Queensland voted NOT to go with the scheme....

20. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Really? what a mob of morons.

21. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What?!

+355

22. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Rookie move spilling the beans on the car here before you have done the deal. I've just offered him 50K as I know this car will get air time on channel 7 news and I will end up with a rare car and be famous as well.

23. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Sorry Gary I am not that stupid. I have made an offer and it has been submitted to the Board of Directors for consideration and I should have an answer very soon. The sales guy said the meeting should not take too long as there is only one director.

I will keep everyone posted. This is so exciting for me to finally have a Dino. I first fell in love with the Dino when I saw it in a movie in the 80s. The movie was called Insatiable, starring Marilyn Chambers.

24. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks pretty good I reckon.

25. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012