Fuse Box Upgrade w/the Source Option??? | FerrariChat

Fuse Box Upgrade w/the Source Option???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1TRICK6, Mar 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1 1TRICK6, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    My TR fuse box is getting upgraded by Dave Helms @SRI, there's an option called "The Source" for the fuse box upgrade. Anyone get this option and what are your thoughts. It's an added heat sink but at a cost of about $400 more.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    ...dissapated in the heat sink or on the board & in your wires?

Not a place to scrimp. Money well spent.

There is a reason why Dave has a very good reputation.

Cheers,
    Vincenzo
    PS: I ordered the full monty.

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I was a test mule for Daves stuff. Get it all brother. Money well spent. My old TR is still running strong with no issues. Get a set of ignition wires too. He's got the Taylor 7mm wire. Gold kit too. I think it's been close to 8 years and only issue my old car had with new owner was a sensor/switch on the radiator. Rock solid. So f'n reliable.

R

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I also leave the fuse box door open while running around.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not necessary.

R

6. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I used to leave the fuse box open when driving as some relays were burning hot after a drive. After Dave Helms fuse box upgrade, the relays don't get hot anymore, so no reason to leave the fuse box open.

7. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Still waiting to hear back from SRI on more info on the Source option.

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The main power supply connector on the TR fusebox consists of a rubber molded plug with two large right angle female connectors that slide over male spade connectors that are integrated into the fusebox.

This connection can be a cause of major electrical issues with the car. I have seen many Mondials were this connection has failed.

The "Source" is a large brass block that is secured to the original male spade connections in the fusebox with allen set screws. You cut the original molded plug/female connectors off of the main power supply wires and crimp/solder/heat-shrink eyelet connectors to the wires.
    The eyelet connectors are bolted to two studs are threaded into the "Source" brass block.
    This provides a much more secure main power connection to the fusebox that is never going to have problems in the future.

That said, I have done many fusebox repairs/replacements on different Ferrari models and have only seen major failures of this connection on Mondials, but that doesn't mean it can't happen on TR's.

Dave's fusebox upgrade used to have the option of having a separate circuit/relay for the engine oil cooler fan. This is only usually an issue with cars driven in very hot climates, but I would check the connector/pin for the oil cooler fan to see if it has any heat damage before ordering his fusebox.

By the way Dave recommends leaving the fusebox door open in red bold letters on his installation instructions for better cooling. It is main problem area which gets very hot, and the heat causes all of the problems. Leaving the door open is cheap insurance.

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    No offense intended - but leaving the door open is a lame solution.

If ventilation is required, how about somebody come up with a clean looking ventilated cover?

There are plenty of power sources right next to the cover.... how about adding an integrated, low draw 12v fan?

The carpet could be cleanly cut back and trimmed for an OEM look.

Heck.... maybe one day when I have some time on my hands..... Since that'll never happen, I'd rather buy one!

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Umm, let's see. Leave door open: costs nothing, don't have to do anything, adds no additional non-original parts or complexity to car. If you want to show the car or have it look
    clean, it takes 10 seconds to close it.

Don't think that there is any business opportunity there. There are many more important Ferrari problems that need solutions out there.

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #11 vincenzo, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    That's not for cooling, that's for down force! :)

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #13 vincenzo, Apr 3, 2017
    Fiat opens rear lid for cooling.

Fiat learns that downforce can be had.

Porsche sees Fiat.

Porsche one-ups Fiat.

Porsche adds a permanently open lid for cooling AND downforce.

Ahhhhh.... to be European!

Cheers,
    Vincenzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #14 theunissenguido, Apr 3, 2017
  15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #15 Alden, Apr 3, 2017
    I built a thermostatically controlled fan into a beat up test mule cover for my Mondial fuse box.

Thermostat probe is placed between two relays that seem to get hot the quickest.

I have cleaned up the wiring, installed a plug for my battery maintainer on the right side of the cover, direct wired it to the battery/battery maintainer circuit and added a switch to turn the unit on and off since these pics were taken.

Works well.
    Alden

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks like OEM!!! :)

17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I am pleased with the way it turned out.

If I choose to build it on a cover that is not cracked, zip tied together, and drilled, it would look better, but where it is no one will see it.

I am running it as is, temp on the relays runs as high as 55 C, I have the fan set to come on at 32 or so. No reason, just chose that temp as a place to start.

I am sure it helps cool the relays and since it is hooked up to my battery charger circuit, I can leave it on to cool the box when I park the car in my garage. Then it turns off automatically when it gets below 32.
    Alden

18. spazgaz

spazgaz Karting

Aug 1, 2007
    Melbourne
    #18 spazgaz, Apr 4, 2017
    I always knew that 12 cylinders would be better than 6 for all my BBQ needs.

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Good idea!

Might want to look into getting some fresher meat - the green look like it might be a bit ripe. 😜

Cheers!
    Vincenzo

20. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You may want to check GT car parts. I think their board may be the better way to go.

21. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Should be getting my upgraded fusebox back from Dave Helms tomorrow. Didn't get the Source upgrade, still close to 2K, said my fusebox had a few issues that required an extra hour of diddling around, (really?).

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That sounds about right. IIRC mine was $1800 a few years ago and he said it looked average, not perfect, not Chernobyl but average.

23. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  24. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Quite a hefty mark up, since DH added about $175 worth of off the shelf components. The major engineering feat was to drill a hole in your old relays, solder a wire off the trigger circuit to power/trigger stand alone relay bank.

25. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #25 1TRICK6, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    I guess we're still paying for his R & D. I'm sure it's going to take care of the problem as there are quite a few satisfied customers. I'm just trying to stand up straight again after getting bent over, lol.