New battery choice | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New battery choice

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Jun 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Bill, I use this on all my cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czAnCA8aXMs

You can probably leave the Ctek unit under the bonnet and just route an extension chord out.

Cheers!

Ruben

2. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #77 JimEakin, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought a 15 ft. extender cable and attached it to the connections that are on the battery. I routed the cable under the right hand cover and out through the front grill. There is a perfect sized slot in the grill bracket for holding the connector when not in use. This way, I don't need to open the hood to connect the tender.

(Note: I often back out of the garage forgetting it's connected, but the cable from the tender just comes out!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #78 wbklink, Aug 10, 2016
    Here is how My tech installed mine on my 550.

4. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    Outstanding. Thanks for the ideas. Bikk

5. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    Well as someone else mentioned, I decided to read the instructions for the Ctek 7002. Reading between the lines it seems prudent not leave the tender inside the engine bay as that might be a "closed" area. But the quick disconnect is good. Especially if it quick disconnects without the operator involved:)

6. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
  7. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The Battery Tender connections just plug in and can apparently be disconnected without the operator being involved. BUT the CTEK connector 'click' together and need to be manually released. I would not want to disconnect a CTEK connector with operator assistance.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My Interstate MTP-91 has hesitated on start a couple of times and, since she is 5 years old, time for a new battery. My techs are picking up a new Interstate MT7-34R for me today, so I am on the AGM bandwagon, too. The MTP-91 had never been on a maintainer, so 5 years is a reasonable life in a Ferrari, even if the warranty was 84 months.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The MTP-91 served well, Terry. Welcome to AGM technology!

The Interstate MT7-34R's dimensions are a bit different than its predecessor's, but it fits well. I replaced my six-year old Braile with the MT7-34R last year.

Barry

10. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Taz, she had a good life.

Barry, say it ain't so, you left Braille? Could you say why? I'm working on year seven. So far so good but figure my time is coming...
    Bill

11. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    I switched to Interstate AGM technology a year ago. No problems and no maintenance.

Dennis

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

The Braille battery was still good. When I bought it in June 2010 it was $160. I planned to replace it every three years but it always tested well so I let it go. I didn't want to tempt fate at six years so I decided to replace it last year. The Braille was selling for $460. The Interstate was $245.

As I mentioned, the dimensions are slightly different by comparison; slightly taller and narrower in length, but the battery fits fine. I didn't see the need to spend an additional $215 for an AGM battery.

Barry

13. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Barry, completely understand. Will explore my options when the time comes.
    Brailles customer service was exceptional when purchasing my original as the online vendor had made a mistake. That's worth some premium when decision time comes. We will see.
    Best,
    Bill
    FL

14. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Is there really a great reason to go with AGM? Is it truly worth the extra $$$? My Cobra came with one...and it works...but my understanding is that these fail completely when they go. No warning.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #90 tazandjan, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    I have an AGM battery in one of those jump start plastic cases. The battery just sits charging in its case and still works great. It is 11 years old. If you have a rechargeable leaf blower before the lithium batteries came out, that is an AGM battery, too. When they go after several years, they generally fade in effectiveness.

Optima batteries, after production was moved to Mexico by Johnson Controls, had a lot of reliability and quality control problems and gave AGM batteries a bad name for a while. I still would not recommend one. Braille, Odyssey, and Interstate AGMs, however, have had excellent reliability, and so have the batteries they build for Sears and other retailers under trade names.

In many cases, supposedly dead batteries have just not had the proper charger used on them to bring them back to life. An advantage of AGMs is that they can be deep discharged dozens of times with no loss of effectiveness, providing they are properly recharged.

For the same size, AGMs usually provide extra cranking power and time because the plates/mats are so tightly packed. That is why the Ferrari recommended batteries by the three good companies above (there are others, those are the only ones I have researched) weigh from 45-50 lbs.

So yes, they are worth the extra money. The Interstate MT7-34R also has a 48 month free replacement warranty, which pretty much takes all the risk out of buying one.

In addition to the above, AGM batteries do not leak and do not discharge acidic fumes requiring a vent tube. That alone is a valuable upgrade from a traditional lead/acid battery.

16. drake123

drake123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2012
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Drake
    About 4 months ago I too replaced my 5 year old Interstate with a MT7-34R. During the winter I got some papers out of the glove compartment and neglected to shut the passenger door. Big mistake! After about a month I decided to check the voltage to see how much it had drained. Well the voltage was Zero-nothing! I knew from experience with LiPo's that it would be a futile attempt to just put the charger on it so what I did was take a fully charged garden tractor battery and connect it in parallel with the dead AGM. Then I connected the charger. It took 2 full days to bring it back to life and full charge. It's been fine since.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I switched to what fits from costco! 85 bucks! The costco interstate battery is just as good as the real interstate battery and costco gives 48mons full replacement value no BS! I run 2 costco interstate batteries in my diesel truck that sees maybe -10F on a couple ski trips every year. If those batteries can start my big boy diesel the Ferrari is child's play. Did I mention those costco batteries are 85 bucks?

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- If you look on Interstate's website, the recommended battery for 2000 and 2004 Ferraris is the MT7-34R. But $85 is a pretty good deal, especially with a 48 month warranty. What is the model number?

19. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I use a starter from the golf cart. It has six battery bank. Just start it and do not turn it off. That is why god made alternators. jeez, it is simple.

20. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    By the way, everytime I start my 575, there is smoke and fire coming from batteries.

When I disconnect from the golf cart, it goes away.

I am more concerned about the fumes. Not me, but the guy who cooks meth next door

Is my battery going to light a fire with Walter White ?

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #96 tazandjan, Apr 15, 2017
    I updated my battery document for US owners. In Europe, it looks like Bosch and Varta are the leading candidates. Some pretty good deals on AGM batteries, Sears has one for $152 including trade-in, and Duracell has one for $200 including trade-in, and I did not hunt for a bargain on that one. My Interstate MT7-34R is working fine. Document got too big, so I had to split it into 2 parts to fit here.

22. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    As I just posted in the 308 section, I've big a big Interstate fan for a long time but the lifespan of their lead/acid batteries seems to have fallen off a bunch over the past decade and their AGM batteries are silly-expensive. In the meantime, Bosch has introduced AGM batteries with a 4 year free replacement period at a *very* nice price point. They're available at Pep boys, who frequently put them on sale. For example, a Group 34 Bosch Platinum AGM battery is usually $191 but is on sale this weekend for $143.24.

I've been running both lead/acid and AGM Bosch batteries for a while now with zero problems and will continue to buy them unless something changes. Do some research on Bosch's battery builds. I think you'll be impressed.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We have lots of owners, including me, who have had great luck with the wet cell Interstate MTP-91 during the last decade, even though it is now discontinued.

The Bosch S6-34R is what we would need for our V12s, the regular Group 34 will not work. Pep-Boys does not seem to carry that one. Looks like it runs about $165 when discounted, if you can find one, and it should work fine. Looks a lot like the Diehard Sears sells.

24. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    Is Braille B6034 the best fit for the 550/575?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #100 308 GTB, Apr 19, 2017