Mondial T hot start problem | FerrariChat

Mondial T hot start problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ClassicRestorations, May 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicRestorations

Apr 4, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Ruben Bauwens
    Hello,

Some weeks ago i changed the steering rack on a Mondial T and had the radiator rebuild.

Car came in fine, but now it almost doesn't want to start when it's warm.

Cold start, running and driving like a charm, but when trying to start with a hot engine it just won't fire.
    The starter motor works perfectly, first it's just spinning around after 2 seconds you hear it's a bit backfiring/firing at the wrong timing.

The crankshaft sensors both give steady measurements, both in resistance cold and warm as in AC voltage while starting.

There is on one bank a camshaft sensor(i presume) on which i can't get a descent reading.

Has anyone got more information on this sensor/or the ignition system or are there other things known to cause this?

Thank you!
    Ruben

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I think Ferrari calls it a phase sensor but I think you have called it correctly as a camshaft position sensor. I think it is a Hall Effect type sensor but I have no other specific info on it. It may be more to it than I understand.

3. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
  4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Does it run okay otherwise, even when the engine is warm?

6. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Backfiring ?

Don't touch the gas paddle when cranking.

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Contradictory I know, but try holding the pedal to the floor when cranking. I bet that will work for you. ;-)
    Alden

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I had a similar problem with a motorcycle. It wouldn't start, them BOOM ! backfire. It turned out to be dirty spark plugs. Try replacing the plugs, or clean them with a torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYwSObeCaUY

9. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    The url does not work for me.

I certainly did not think about flywheel grease. Nice info.

Randall

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Apparently Ferrari Chat doesn't "remember" search results. ;)

Keywords in the 348/355 forum: 348 hot start flywheel

11. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
  12. ClassicRestorations

Apr 4, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Ruben Bauwens
    Thank you for your replies.

The cold start is not 100% but it starts, although it takes long.
    There is an aftermarket pressure gauge fixed and it immediately jups to 2.7bar when cranking.

Driving is 100%, she had some coughs but they're all gone. Have driven it slow, have driven it hard, no issues.

Starting it back up when hot is near to impossible, no matter how you try it, it has to cool down.
    Plugs are new.

From what i read, all the flywheel grease problems are present so i don't think i'll have to look much further.
    I already heard someone talking about it but the story was so vague i couldn't make heads or tails of it, now it's clear.

I'm going to try removing the alternator because it stopped charging (and make the tachometer go berserk...) to be sure but if the problem is still present after this i'm pulling the flywheel.

13. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Before condemning the flywheel, check the vacuum hose connection on the fuel pressure regulator(s). Pull off the hose when running or immediately after shutdown. If it dribbles fuel, the regulator is broken.

This fuel will flood the engine when it is standing still after shutdown.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, May 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's a good point and there are two of them. Top of the motor towards the front.

FYI, the vacuum hose leads to the intake plenum.

These threads may help with that:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/170224-348-hard-start-problem.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/457779-348-fuel-pressure-regulator-upgrade.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ClassicRestorations

Apr 4, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Ruben Bauwens
    Checked the regulators a while back, no fuel comes out and i can put a vacuum on them so they don't leak.

The latest time she also start to start difficult when cold. (was gone for a while but is back now)

Tried with the engine running to disconnect the ignition modules next to the coil packs, when i disconnect the left one, the engine runs a bit slower and not that rough, when i disconnect the right one the engine immediately drop a lot in rpm, start to run really rough and after 1-2seconds shuts down.
    I thought they ran completely seperate the left and right bank?

When mesuring the voltage at the fuel pumps, the get a 9.60volts when running and 6volts when starting the engine, which seems way to low for me.
    After putting 12v directly on them the car does start when hot after crancking a couple of times (not good but before it just wouldn't start.)

Are there electrical drawing available somewhere? What fuel pressure should there be when cranking/running?

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #17 mike32, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    If you are having problems starting from hot , it looks like you are vapour locking the fuel pipes due to the residual heat in the engine bay- if you look at the fuel system diagram you will see a non return valve on the outlet side of the electric pump, also after the fuel pump is an accumulator, then the fuel filter. When the engine is stopped the fuel pressure at stop is maintained in the system by the trapped pressure in the accumulator. This maintained pressure stops patrol vapour from forming in the pipes, with no fuel flow and the heat in the engine bay the pipes heat up- if not enough maintained pressure then you have vapour forming in the system that the injection pump cannot deal with. Either the n/r valve is leaking back or the accumulator has failed. When you get it running it would show the fuel pressure is fine as it is pump discharge pressure.
    Look online for a Bosch k tronic fuel injection system, gives a good diagram and info how it works.
    If you have a bank misfiring along with fuel raising the sump oil level then the diaphragm in the injection system is split.
    This model is prone to cutting out after you approach a junction , no servo etc- a good slug of injection system cleaner in the fuel tank usually cleans up the injectors.
    Other fault can be a coil pack breaking down, car starts up ok and starts missing on 1 bank after a few miles-to find start car from cold and drive until it starts to misfire-jump out and put your hands on both coil packs, 1 will be warmer or hot and other one is cold. The cold one is the good one. As the coil gets more miles on it, it gets hotter and the insulation starts to fail, hence the misfire.

This relates to my mondial 3.2 so it should be similar

17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Bingo, that is your problem!

I can send you a PDF of the electrical diagram you need, just PM me your email address.
    Alden

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Ferrari, the factory dealership in SF had a fix for this on our Mondial T, it was a booster part to the starter $80 fit under the steering dash area.

Seems the solenoid gets too hot at times and you are stuck...as we had many times waiting for it to cool down.

This may not be the same issue as you describe, but def solved our problem. was very embarrassing to sit somewhere after a spirited drive waiting for the cool down.

19. ClassicRestorations

Apr 4, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Ruben Bauwens
    Hi everyone, thought i'd post the solution here.

The low voltage on the fuel pumps was the cause of the cold start problem. Cleaning the terminals was enough to have it firing up decently(not perfect)

The Flywheel grease problem was the cause of the hot start issue, after ordering the O-rings and new grease it only took a couple of hours and the problem was solved.
    Also the rattling sound as described often was gone afterwards.

20. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good to hear all fixed