250GT PF desirability and future investment | FerrariChat

250GT PF desirability and future investment

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by zvdxb, Nov 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Hello ,

Am thinking of buying a 250GT PF as it's the only 2 seater from the 250 family that's close to 1mill $ today. The rest are far more expensive . Is there a reason for this ? Can anyone advise on where they think this model is going value wise medium to long term . It would be more of an Investment buy for me.

Rgds

2. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I bought mine a few years ago for the exact same reason---only 250 two seater that was affordable. The 250 engine is a classic in the Ferrari line. But, buy this because you like it and not only for "investment".
    Being a dealer in rare coins, the ones who do very well are who buy what they really like. People who buy "only for investment" usually do not do so well. Plan on a long term ownership, not just a few years.
    Ken Goldman

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I'll try to respond to the question. The PF coupe is a successor of the Boano and a contemporary of the TdF Berlinetta, both of which are considered to be much more "racy" in appearance. In the 60's, the PF was thought to be a bit stodgy. Now, they are coming into their own as a classic style, but still, in my opinion, suffer from that old 60's prejudice. We are only talking of appearance; they drive much the same as the others mentioned.

Remember that the PF's come in two series. The early ones, up to around S/N 1400 or 1500, had "inside plug" engines, four speed trans, and drum brakes. Later cars had the (IMO) improved engine, 4 plus OD trans, and disc brakes. Ken likes early; I prefer late. I don't think the market cares; condition is far more important then series.

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That seems like a lovely old car. I hope someone doesn't buy it and over-restore it!

6. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Gents thank you all for your insights . Much appreciated.

Cheers !

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  8. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    It's roof color isn't original. It should be gray.

The car needs a fair amount of work too.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Did they make only about 353 or so? Not sure why I think that. I thought they were great in 2001 at less than 80k. Princess Grace comes to mind when I see these. Wow look at them now.

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #10 geno berns, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Gene, good choice of color, the combination works great.

john

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Thank you John

13. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    #13 freestone, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Personally I think the 250 gt pf coupes are very undervalued relative to the others.

They basically are a TdF in a different body style. The wheel base and suspension and brakes are the same. Granted they lack the competition engine (one actually has it) and weigh maybe 100kg plus more. As they evolved to the disc brakes and 128f engines (which is similar to a 168), that was the same as the early Cal Spyder LWB (128f) and SWB berlinetta's (168's being the same as the 128f)- again minus the high lift cam, higher compression, maybe different carbs, etc. Except for the alloy body ones.

My point is the driving pleasure of a 250 is completely present. They do weigh more than the steel bodied berlinettas, and certainly more so than the alloy ones.

They importantly don't have the race history and are more subdued but still elegant looking, but that should not make a 10x plus difference in price.

14. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Very good write up. I heard that the PF's are quite nimble and perform like the TDF's as the drum breaks series one car in the picture. Great for rallying as they're quite light. Value is still reasonable for a 2 seater 250 Ferrari.

15. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    The series 2 is getting similar to a transitional berlinetta or a LWB cal spyder, less the hotter spec engine and again heavier or steel vs alloy.

Importantly, in my view, you get the full 250 experience which is Ferrari at its best.

16. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Anyone care to explain the 250 vs 365 experience? values aside? thanks,
    Jack

17. bmw_e30

bmw_e30 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    What city and state are you located in may I ask?

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I had to take another look at it on Gullwing's site-- still for sale. Regardless of all that, I love that car.

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Graceful things for sure, a poster above mentions Princess Grace coming to mind. There is a feminine aspect to PF coupes. Its a car that makes me think of film stars and old Hollywood rather than race tracks and rain. I can imagine non "car people" with a keen sense of retro style falling for these, but how many non car people spend such money on a 60 year old car?

20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    To qualify the above, I would have one in a heartbeat, whats not to like about retro Hollywood style?

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #21 375+, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    I think that the Pf Coupe is a terrific car, and I am an enthusiast dedicated to the Enzo-era Ferrari. Having said that the collector car market has undergone a demographic shift and these cars are not high on the lists of the newer collectors. Not to disparage the Pf Coupe but I don't think that they will ever be worth more than they are today. If you are looking at the car primarily for investment I would look elsewhere. My 2 cents.

22. bmw_e30

bmw_e30 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm currently project managing the restoration of the world famous 250 gt pf coupe that was found in an apt in Hollywood 6 months ago. It will be restored to factory correct concourse condition. This 250 was originally owned by John Von Neumann (West coast Ferrari distributor) and has a splendid documented history going all the way back to the early 60's.

If there is any serious interest from anyone anywhere in the world please let me know now while it is in the very early stages.

PM me for quickest response thank you.

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    It's interesting that the door trim on some of these early cars is in body color and black in others, like the trim in the white/gold car.

john

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How much undisturbed originality the car still has ? If it hasn't been subjected to a one or more full or partial (cosmetic?) restoration before, is still complete with its original componets and in relatively good condition, I would think there's potentially much higher value in preserving its originality rather than erasing all that with (yet another) complete "concourse" restoration.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    For those of us that remember when you could buy them for $40-50k it's hard to accept the current pricing and see any future.