F355 - upgraded coolant hoses? | FerrariChat

F355 - upgraded coolant hoses?

Discussion in '348/355' started by dantm, Mar 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    My 30K major is coming up...

I see there are some hoses to be replaced based on the Ricambi kit.

Does it make sense to order a full silicone hose kit including the three required to replace and re-do the car in that way?

I see this kit here:

http://www.superformance.co.uk/parts/355SHSB.jpg

Has the 3 hoses required (2 L-shaped and 1 S-shaped) and which are part of the 30K kit, and it also has additional silicone hoses that could be replaced during the major.

Any thoughts or comments from anybody?

2. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Check sticks this has been covered. Ricambi's have the kit

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Those three hoses are the ones you really need.
    You need a few feet of 5/8 inch, 5/16 inch coolant hoses. Now is the time to change the radiator short hoses.... (1 1/4 I think)

That is all.

4. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    If you mean the F355 sticky I could not find it...is there another place to look?

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Waste of money and have been know to leak as reported here on Chat. Amounts to nothing more than fixing something that isn't broken.

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Ricambi also sells some high quality silicone hose sets that are made by SFS......reasonably priced and don't leak.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/sfs-355-m-f355-silicone-hose-set.html

7. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    SFS silicone hose kit (8 hoses) sells for only $275.00

8. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    You want to replace them every major anyway. The standard hose is just fine. You will find that by the time a major comes around, usually the hoses are cut to assist removal and any stress on the associated pipework as a result is lessened.

9. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #9 cf355, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Have you priced the OEM standard rubber hose?
    You will pay hundreds for just one hose.

I'm going on 8 years with the SFS silicone hoses and currently in the middle of another (third) engine out......looking at the silicone SFS hoses.....still look like new ..... still soft and pliable as when new (and did not have to be cut off) .
    Can't understand why anyone would use ordinary rubber hoses.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can walk into any Oreily's store, hand them a set of those hoses, match up the ones they have in the back, for less than $100. If you are lucky, you can find one hose that can be cut to fit 2 right angle hoses for the Ferrari.

11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
  12. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    I didn't say anything about oem hoses.

13. alexjack

alexjack Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Don
    AW Italian is offering a silicone hose set for 268.00 on eBay right now. They look like sfs.

14. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Thanks guys, ordering a set of SFS hoses and will also get some additional silicone hose different thicknesses when the engine is out to replace the ones mentioned by Mitchell:

" 5/8 inch, 5/16 inch coolant hoses. Now is the time to change the radiator short hoses.... (1 1/4 I think)"

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    One is just the return heater hose, and the smaller ones are for the bleed hoses from the radiator pipe and the thermostat housing. Really, anything will do there. You end up cutting them off on the way out so every five years or so they get replaced. Anything will last 5 years and 10k miles (which is the average miles for most of us).

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Any decent quality hose lasts much longer than 5 years, certainly the OE hoses do. Never cut one of those off in my life. Removing them correctly is far faster and easier. Some of the hoses to the coolant tank are junk and should be replaced at the service but it absurd to think the ones at the front of the motor are disposable quality.

People complain how expensive the cars cost to maintain and throw away a couple of hundred dollars replacing perfectly good parts.

17. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    No joke, I did this for a 90° elbow that burst. Was able to find a hose at auto zone for $10 from which I was able to cut in half and get 2 perfectly good hoses :-D It was somethign shaped like this:
    https://images.rallysportdirect.com/image/private/s--W0lKsP7N--/f_auto,t_auto_rsd_product/v1/product_images/gat_22886_1

Having said that, on my next major, I did upgrade to the silicone hoses. That was just a cheap temporary fix.

18. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Given the cost to get into the engine at that level, it makes sense to replace the things that are due for a replacement...probably not throw away good parts but if there's a 'kit' that can improve long term reliability why not do it? $250 on hoses is not a big deal when doing a $5K (or more?) major...

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Metal clamps on and off do more damage to the hose then time.

I'm partner of an industrial hose company, seen all the issues and cures.

One day I may make a kit for our cars but just not worth it, plenty stuff out there :)

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Following that philosophy I can easily turn it into a $7k major.

The difference between a mechanic and a parts changing monkey is the ability to make good judgment calls.

Need some bananas?

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That's 5%. Being retired, I'd love to be able to buy 5 (currently 1.93%) or 10 (2.4%) year bonds yielding 5%, even 30 years. 100k in a 5% bond is 5k a year income. Even current yield on a 30 year is only 3%. At 5% I could put 100% of my retirement into it never have to worry about the market again. You can send me a check for $250 any time. :)

22. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    If you have never had to cut a hose to remove it, you haven't done enough of them yet.

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    John,

I had the upper 90° elbow split on me going down the straight leading to Turn 8 at Watkins Glen three years ago. I accepted a point-by from the car ahead of me and checking my rear view mirror for traffic and a safe pass, the view through the rear window was like looking through a steamed up shower door. I refused the point-by and had my hand on the fire suppression handle. I was certain that it was vapor and not smoke I was seeing. I pitted in and the corner worker said they were about to show me the meatball flag as I was trailing vapor. Opening the rear deck, we saw same coolant spray coming from the area in front of the engine. Fortunately we had a spare elbow and my technician was able to replace the hose over lunch. I was out again on the next session.

I also saw another F355 Challenge lose its oil due to a ruptured oil line and another F355 Challenge burst a fuel line with a resultant engine fire. My car was due for a major service. I told them to change all the coolant hoses, oil lines and fuel lines while they were at it.

Barry

24. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Who stocks all the bsnanas???