Fisker Karma part 2? | FerrariChat

Fisker Karma part 2?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by koisokok, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #1 koisokok, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Opening my magazing, and on the inside two page cover is an ad for "Karma". Turns out they are back with new owners and pushing a 100k sticker price . Same body , with attention given to the previous problems they had before . I always liked the design and actually was very tempted to purchase one with the new corvette engine swap ..Will the second time be a charm ,or another bust?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2 TheMayor, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    They made too many mistakes. For one, it should have been all electric like Tesla. Their hybrid design was taking the worst of both sides. Second, the car "was" attractive (at the time it looked like a Maserati) but is dated now. Third, the car was never designed to be spacious enough for a usable sedan but was never sporty enough to be a sports sedan

Add that to really poor quality control, software that was never finished, and no dealer network and you get disaster part 2.

Apparently its being brought back by the Chinese auto parts supply company that bought their bankrupt battery supplier A123.

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/fisker-karma-automotive-revero/

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i drove one a month ago. i was impressed. (and i hate the whole concept of an electric vehicle!!!)

owner told me that they "factory" is contacting owners and offering upgrades as well as corvette running gear swaps....

4. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Is Maximum Bob Lutz still involved somehow?

5. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    I would think no...Must be something that Fisker and him signed while selling to the new owners going forward..Hence the new name "Karma" ..

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I still think its hot looking but I would be too worried about reliability

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The problem is it's only good for 50 miles electric and then the noisy and slooooooow GM 4 banger cuts in. The exhaust is still not at the back of the car to give it the illusion of being electric. It's not. It's a hybrid. This was a fundamental flaw that this new version still has.

Tesla has shown people will accept an all electric vehicle if the range and performance are good. This car still suffers from 2004 thinking.

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Definitely the 50 mile range is a big deal breaker ..

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's about the same as the Chevy Volt, both e-only and hybrid range.

Prolly using the same gas engine.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's the same name, isn't it? Was the Fisker Karma now just the Karma.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sounds like bad Karma...

SV

12. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Not sure I would be to happy shelling out 130k , knowing it has the same engine as the Volt...

13. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Yes, Fisker is out ...Now Just called "Karma " Automotive...

14. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Karma is way better looking then any Tesla made.

davidoloan likes this.
  16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree.

Fisker helped design several Aston Martins (DB9, etc.) and BMW Z-8 prior.

We had a Fisker dealer in Denver. Still occasionally see a couple driving around.

17. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Funny, one was behind me today in traffic. It pulled alongside to take a right turn, still a really good looking car to me.

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    The car has 250mi+range (electric/gas) and you can drive coast to coast just like a regular car - no range anxiety. I own one of the original Karmas and have closely followed the relaunch and met most of the new execs personally that are affiliated with Karma Automotive.

Most of what's been posted here thus far is loosely correct (Peppered with typical half right/partial facts) and appears to come from non owners regugetating magazine articles and really don't know the car, it's history, or much about the relaunch. So take what you're reading thus far Lightly.

19. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    thanks for your input .Reason of the post was to hear personal experiences ..

20. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The M6 Gran Coupe is the only other sedan that can hold a flame to the Karma's looks.

21. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I bought my car and a lot of spare parts thinking the car wouldn't be supported in the future when Fisker went into bankruptcy and dealers were marking down cars because it was such a good looking car. i call teh car rolling art...it looks that good.

As Fisker Automotive faded away (it has relaunched as well as Fisker Inc) and the new Karma Automotive (KA) took over in the past two years they administered the warranty program and released two software updates for the old Karma, which addressed some common complaints and focues on updating and releasing the new KA Revero covered in a similar Fisker Karma wrapper. Personally, I have yet to add the last two software drops as the car operates fine without them and my nearest service facility is two states away. The Dealer network is scattered, but covers most major metro areas (not much different than Ferrari) and I am fortunate to live near PA/NJ were one of the two most knowledgeable techs operates and my tow policy allows full transport to the nearest authorized dealer (flatbed to the service facility) regardless of distance.

Many people often comment or worry about the electric range, but by design and the tech limitations of the time it was viewed that most drivers commuting patterns on a daily drive did not exceed 20-25mi one way and would allow them to use exclusive electric every day and if they needed to go further they switched over to the engine to get the extra miles before they plug-in again. The engine actually is just a generator for the two electric motors in the rear, which contrary to an incorrect post above does not power the car wheels.

Overall the car is a nice cruiser (not a back road blaster) and attracts far more attention than my iconic Ferrari 512TR, Vanquish, and NSX or most exotics at a CnC event due to its unique concept car looks and the lack of general public awareness about the car – which is a true testament to a car that still looks fresh even though it was unveiled a decade ago in 2007. It uses primary top grade materials and although and it had QC problems (panel fit, trim, etc) I didn't view them far in excess of most first year cars out there and almost all the technical issues have long since been addressed under warranty or owners that knew there was support.

In fact one owner who I believe worked as a software engineer for the car as a developer has created aftermarket modules to enhance performance (battery recharge on the fly, greater acceleration, etc) which added features that were not on the original car over the past year to the Fisker Karma community.

davidoloan likes this.
  22. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I partly agree and disagree. The limitations of all-electric will remain unacceptable for a good portion of buyers due to limited range and slow recharge. These things will continue to improve, but there is no economical radical battery technology that is just around the bend that will mean the car runs out of charge after the driver wants to finish driving for the day on a long ride. That at best is years away, if not decades, if not ever.

So the concept of the original Karma answered much of that by effectively carrying around a gasoline powered generator in the form of the small engine. To date I am not sure anyone has done this "right" but the concept gives you potentially the range of a gas engine and the performance of an EV.

In hindsight perhaps it was the execution of the Karma that was flawed, and this is where I agree that a noisy engine in this car would not be acceptable. You have to wonder if someday a highly-efficient diesel engine, extremely quiet and designed for maximum efficiency at a set rpm (which also makes cancelling the noise in the interior via sound waves from the speakers easier) is actually a concept that could work.

davidoloan likes this.
  23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are a great looking car. I would love to have one with the corvette engine in it.

24. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    "Maximum Bob" is full of hot air. The 'vette V8 in a Fisker has been his pet project for years now...total vapor. Never even seen a prototype running in the wild. Lutz is a putz.

For the record, I owned an original Fisker Karma. Never had any kind of issue with it. Reason I sold it: mostly because the exhaust note lacked any kind of excitement whatsoever. Biggest issue I have with electric (or primarily hybrid) cars trying to be exotics ... nobody ever said, "Gee, I wish my exotic car was quieter."

davidoloan likes this.
  25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Funny... a 4 banger running at a constant speed... exhaust note?????

You could do what others do, pipe it in on the radio speakers. :)