2010 California low on power when cold | FerrariChat

2010 California low on power when cold

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BillyD, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    As the title says my California just started being low on power for the first few minutes and mile or two when cold. There's a definite lack of power and snarl when first started in the AM. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reboot any computers but the problem persists. Its not running rough or any other signs of a cylinder miss, but the sound difference is very apparent. Its the same in Comfort and Sport.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Bill

2. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I don't push the car at all till its warm. Takes 1 minute to drop the idle. Takes 4 to 5 minutes to get up to temperature to really drive. I keep below 4K RPM until I'm at 170 temp.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I do likewise.

Billy D - has it been unusually cold where you are? Do you keep it on a battery tender? Not the Cali, but several of our other cars seemed to take longer to warm up as they've gotten older...T

Edit - when you drive it a while, shut it down for a short while, and then come back to car, does it display these symptoms?

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for replies.
    Actually its been warmer here so I don't think its having a problem with excessively cold temperatures. Once it runs better after a couple of minutes and about a mile it stays good till an overnight cool down. I've been driving it a couple times a week so no battery tender, but will put it on tonight and check it in the morning.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Confirm the tender light is green before unplugging in the a.m.
    Good luck.
    T

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Charger light green and battery voltage about 13.5 volts steady before starting. Same problem. Its the sound I notice the most, it sounds like the exhaust is plugged or intake is restricted, for a few minutes and miles. Had it been this way when I rec'd the car I'd have thought it was completely normal.

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I put mine on battery tender every time I park. The connector is right under the trunk lid, you don't have to open anything.

8. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Record the first 2 minutes. What you are describing sounds normal to me.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I sometimes hear a high pitched whine, if the Cali has been sitting a while (say about a week). Goes away with a little throttle and driving.

Billy D - if it's convenient, perhaps a quick stop by your dealer can show if any engine codes are being thrown?

Good luck.

T

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If the problem goes away after the car warms up it implies a possible heat-induced expansion issue. Something may be stuck (closed) when it's cold (metal contracted). It could be the exhaust valve stuck closed even when you rev past 3000 RPM. This would easily explain the lack of "snarl" and the problem being the same in COMFORT and SPORT modes.

Since you're the original owner and you haven't noticed any other issues, it's very likely a simple problem, like the exhaust valve stuck shut. It might just need cleaning. Call your dealer and ask.

11. WoWBrother

WoWBrother Rookie

Mar 21, 2017
    London,GB
    Full Name:
    Michael Seaflower
    It's a good idea to put it on a battery tender more often