Ferrari 412 Automatic For Sale In Hemmings | FerrariChat

Ferrari 412 Automatic For Sale In Hemmings

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by carguy246, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
  2. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Looks really nice!
    Grey + red is really gorgeous.

3. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I missed out on this one last year when it was at $43000. Note it still has the 'Fast Lane' plate on the back from where the guy bought it from and I think where most of the photos have been lifted from

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #4 samsaprunoff, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

I also love this color combination! Wow!

Cheers,

Sam

1986 Ferrari 412 Auto
    Color: Grey Exterior with Red Interior
    Mileage:
    VIN: ZFFYD24B00059327
    Chassis: 59327
    Asking: $85000 USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    What on earth is going on in this market? Not too long ago, except for the rare well-kept car, one couldn't give away a 400/412. Now on a site in Europe I see a half-dozen 412s offered, one in the mid-80K's three in low to mid-90K's, two at $106K+ and one at $137,768.

Are Ferraristi finally realizing that these cars represent the very best of the Enzo-era 12's in a comfortable, useful and very beautiful car. Properly maintained they are bullet-proof.

Peter Stevens, chief designer at Lotus, called the 400/412 series "the most beautiful production car of all time". And the highly respected UK motoring journalist L.J.K. Setright wrote in CAR magazine: the Ferrari 412 "is one of the few most beautiful and one of the two most elegant bodies ever to leave the lead of Pininfarina's penciling vision".

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The whole market has gone crazy. First it was any air-cooled Porsche, then the XKE's got back to crazy numbers. Ferrari's finally caught on with our 400/412 the last to catch on. I think that was driven by 308 GT4's going from mid-20's to 80's! Then the unliked Mondial's popped, which left our cars stand out as MUCH better and sill affordable......oops.

I'm not selling; I know when to "hold 'em". Actually, I'm not holding, I prefer to drive mine.
    Ken

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Love it, Ken! new phrase to apply to Ferraris, hold 'em don't fold 'em.

Except I'm more inclined to believe that the 400/400i/412 series are just now catching up to the market. At a time when the overall market is softening. A year ago you almost couldn't find a 550 or 575 Maranello for sale and when you did find one the (manual) 550 was flirting with or over $200K and an F1 575 was mid $150K's or higher. When one was offered for sale. The dealers were accumulating Maranellos and, of course, the older 1960s and early 1970s cars.

Today the Ferrari Market Letter lists seven 575's offered, all but one by dealers, and eighteen 550's, all but three by dealers. Also a year ago there were no C4's (365GTC4) on the market at all, you only saw them occasionally at the very high-end auctions where they sold for ridiculous amounts. Today FML lists NINE C4's, all by dealers. I think these guys are badly stuck with high-cost inventory they can't unload.

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Seth
    Some time this year we will be moving full time to our Finger Lakes lake house. That does not make us neighbors but close enough for an exchange visit some time. My wife and I were in Saratoga Springs about 10 years ago for a horse show and it is nice place. Our FLX home is in the middle of wine country. My 400i would love the trip. Let's stay in touch.
    Ken
    p.s. Do you live in SS year round or are you a snow bird? We will be in our house year round.

9. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #9 intrepidcva11, Mar 17, 2017
    Wonderful Ken. We're here year-round. Y'all come!

I'm guessing that we'll also see one another at the Glen. Judith and I tend to get down there at least once a year, sometimes twice. There are two FCA Empire State Region track events there, one used to be Labor Day weekend but I think this year it's in August. It has combined with a Friday afternoon/evening display of cars, mainly Ferraris, on Market Street in Corning. We also try to get to Lime Rock Park for at least one event there each year. Typically get on track at both venues for what they call parade laps. I've 'paraded' my 575, the old 412GT and Maserati at the Glen and the 575 and Maserati at Lime Rock. Fun.

Also since you'll almost be neighbors, might suggest your taking a membership in the Saratoga Automobile Museum of which I'm a founding Trustee. See its website. At least two fresh exhibitions each year, a splendid 'Distracted Driving Program' through which we've run over 10,000+ high school students and untold numbers of adults. And this September for the first time we are organizing a major automobile auction to which I've already consigned my Maserati Spyder. the second photo is of the Spyder already on display in the Museum's main gallery as a teaser for the fall Auction.

Sending you my tel # by PM

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I've always enjoyed the look of a well-kept 400/412 series. They have an elegant style that is representative of the '70's. I truly hope their value increases to the point where people invest in their upkeep and preservation.

11. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    I remember les miller (one of the original Ferrari guys and motor engineer in Australia--and still going!) saying to me about 20 years ago that pinninfarina felt that the 400 design was
    about the maximum they could achieve for aesthetics comfort and power for the V12.
    Also the design still looks fresh today despite its long production run.
    Note the pink floyd drummer. ? Nick mason. Hated his !

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Many years ago I so admired the 365/400/412 line that I seriously pursued buying a Bitter coupe, built by a very small Company based upon the Opel Senator chassis.

No offense intended, but I couldn't live with that red interior, to me way too hot, over-powering, almost oppressive. If just the seats were red, maybe.

So many of us dote on a car's paint color that we see only when we're entering and leaving our cars. But we LIVE with the leather interiors. All of mine are cuoio or beige, warm, wonderful and restful. Except my Cadillac STS-V that came only in black or gray.

13. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Seth, I replied to your pm so we don't hijack this thread.
    Ken

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree the red dash and console are a bit much. The red interior cars look much better with a black dash and console.

And those side pics show just how much Ferrari ruined the 400 shape with that crazy (and unneeded) trunk modification.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #15 bjwhite, Mar 19, 2017
  16. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    [​IMG]
    I feel like I need this car so my wife and I can have a matching pair

17. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
  18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #18 full_garage, Mar 26, 2017
  19. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
  20. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I hope whoever bought it isn't planning on using it often (ever) as with only 18k miles it could have gremlins abound. I am a firm believer that these cars need driven - and often to remain reliable.

otaku likes this.
  21. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Thats good to see..
    I'm restoring a 1982 automatic that is documented as being a Ferrari Company Car..
    Very excited to get driving it when finished in 4 months..

otaku and Il Tifoso like this.
  22. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Mike
    That’s very interesting about your 400i being a Ferrari Conpany Car. Do you have more info? Was it therefore first registered to Ferrari SpA? Many of the company cars were used by Ferrari’s racing drivers.

23. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hi David,
    Yes, its 1st owner is listed as Ferrari SpA, Modena, Company car.
    This was verified through Marcel recently.
    A pleasant surprise to hear. We also look to see if our cars had some sort of interesting history.
    Another few months and I too will get to drive it..