2003 Audi RS6, 23k miles. | FerrariChat

2003 Audi RS6, 23k miles.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by NYC123, Mar 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    #1 NYC123, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2017
    2003 Audi RS6 23,000 miles. 450 HP, AWD, and only about 1,000 of these came to the country. The only year the RS6 was imported to the USA. Metallic black over black interior. Car is 100% stock other than a laser jammer installed. Car collector quality inside and out with over $24,000 of service receipts from Audi back in Nov 2016 going thru the entire car. Also all new tires in the Summer of 2016. Virtually impossible to find an RS6 in this type of condition. There is one very small imperfection on the drivers side lower side skirt area smaller than the size of a dime. Pics to follow. $49,000 , or best offer.

Thanks for looking

2. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    #2 NYC123, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As an original (and still) RS6 Owner, I still feel it's the best all-round car I've ever owned. It's about time that prices started to reflect that, so it's nice to see some higher asking prices. Some known issues with RS6s (DRC suspension and torque converter, for example), but these cars are pretty special.

CW

4. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Neat car that very few people (even enthusiasts) know what it is.
    Ironically the Subaru dealership across the street from my office recently had one for $8k that a friend wanted to buy but neither party could agree on price and terms...the car ended up being auctioned off.

GLWS

5. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Fantastic car. I loved these things when they came out. GLWS.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Man, I just missed out one almost like this last summer at the Bonhams auction in Greenwich. It had only a few less miles than this and was really nice. My high bid was just a about $1k short of taking it home.

7. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    this is the same car it has had around $27,000 of service done to it after the sale at auction in the 30's including all 4 new tires, and only 1,000 miles on it since. If you are interested send me a PM but it is the same car.

thanks.

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    That's a cosworth turbo V8 right? Always wanted one, very nice ride.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    $27k of service? I thought that was reserved for Ferraris....nice car glws.

10. rdynamix

rdynamix Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2013
    And Lamborghini...

This car has the magnificent 10 cylinder engine that is common to the R8 and Gallardo but with hundreds of unique parts.

It's an amazing engine but when you need work done you are going to pay like you would on a Lamborghini. Depending on perspective, it may be worth it...

This is possibly one of the top 5 sedans in the last 20 years. Almost bought one some years back. Beautiful, family appropriate, built like an AUDI and with Lamborghini performance. Nice combination!

GLWS!

11. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David

This is the Audi C5 RS6 , it has the 4.2L Twin Turbo V8. The early C6 generation S6 uses the V10.

12. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    yes quite a bit of work was done to the motor to make it as new. if somebody wanted to buy it in the 30's at auctions when it sold you are getting a fair deal over a year later buying it in the 40's after all that sorting has already been done

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Would it be possible to post the service bills? One of the reasons that I didn't bid higher is because I was a little nervous about the service costs and what it might need. I didn't trust Bonhams when they said it was like new and needed nothing but they said it had a recent full belt service and had the receipts but I didn't get to see those...

14. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    All the service was done AFTER the sale at auction. So good call by you to not trust them. If you are interested in PM me your email I can scan and email you the invoices.

thanks

15. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Beautiful car and I hope you get what you are asking, but it sounds a bit steep from a price standpoint. Not sure the RS6, even with less than 25K miles are ready to command this type of price. I've shopped them over the last year or two and prices are all over the place as they try to find their value.

I currently drive a 2001 Audi S8 (one of roughly 1250 imported) and made the decision to stick with it versus the RS6. Ultimately the body design is the only thing that does not "impress" me. Otherwise, what a machine!

16. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    I really like that car the Ronin car... enjoy it.

17. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I was somewhat taken by the price, but man, this car only has 23K miles! They're only new once. How do you put a price on this?!

GLWS on this gorgeous machine.

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ok. I thought I read once that these audi v8s can suffer cam chain failure with disasterous results or am I thinking about the s4 or r8?

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    RS6 is not known to have cam chain issues. The service schedule on the cam chain, IIRC, is every 37.5K miles.

As noted, DRC (suspension) and Torque Converter (along with damage to transmission that results) are the big known issues.

CW

20. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    I own one of these...Yellow over black.
    They are fantastic machines. Tons of torque down low and deceptively quick. The 70K service is very expensive in terms of overall cost ($7K+) plus other things that need done. The entire front end of the car nearly comes off to do the full service. Brakes discs are also expensive...so I can easily understand the money that went into this car.

Brian

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks.

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Had a "normal" A6 and yes even on that one lots of pieces had to come off to service it.

23. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes, the 75K (IIRC) service is the "big" one. To go into "service position" the front bumper cover, front crash structure, headlights, intercoolers and radiator all come off. It's a good opportunity to do any other work, too, since access is simple at that stage. And, many owners stockpile bits they want to replace in advance of that service. As the car often runs hot, lots of the rubber and bushings under the hood get dried out.

Regarding brake rotors, this car does eat them (it's a 2-ton car). But, there is an aftermarket solution (two-piece rotor and hat) allowing for replacement with less expensive rotors. I also have my rotors cryogenically dipped (Welcome 360below.com - BlueHost.com) to extend their life.

I've also had an alternator go bad.

There were only a few options on this car, when new, but one upgrade that might be worthwhile is the latest RNS-E system.

CW

24. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Sorry for the OT, but I would LOVE to see a yellow RS6!

NYC123 - GLWS

25. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I've seen one or maybe two over the years over on RS6.com. IIRC, Imola Yellow. Another rare color was Red.

Most common were Daytona Grey, Avus Silver and Mugello Blue.

CW