71 nart daytona restoration 14115 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

71 nart daytona restoration 14115

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Rock, Jan 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Tom I will fax them to you tomorrow. They are at the shop.

2. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco

yes, this Tatum guy was a character

3. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #28 Rock, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #29 Rock, Feb 8, 2011
  5. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #30 Rock, Feb 8, 2011
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #32 of2worlds, Feb 5, 2017
  7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Beautiful car, where can I get gold wheels like those? Www.FCA2017.org is coming up and I thought what the heck. It is at Daytona and I think Daytonas should be there. I would have thought they would even have a display for Daytonas but nothing. Wider tires for the street car look better in my opinion. Is 9 the answer, someone said 10 was available? I like the gold wheels for this event.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Rock, this Andrew Greene mentioned in the court case, this is not Andy Greene from Savannah? Surly he would be older as this happened long ago? I always heard Ron Finger lured him down south from the DC area. He has touched some great cars and can be visited very near the Mighty Eighth Air force Museum and JCB North America exit. I saw the 58 comp car in there must have been ten years on or so.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Andrew Greene and Andy Greene from Savannah are one and the same. Andy is a stand-up guy.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Amazing. Yes we all like Andy, extremely giving with his time and very good indeed. I was simply curious if it was him. He must have been very young at that time.

11. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It is my understanding that this car has never been in race trim and that the 'conversion' was a somewhat arbitrary pick and choose of modifications that make the car appear like a race car. I will freely admit that I am not an expert on Daytona's but I do know quite a bit about contemporary and vintage race car prep & Ferrari construction in that era. From the images ,of this car in its current state, its presentation is not consistent with how a car would have been prepped by NART in period had it been made ready for Sebring in the early 1970's. A cursory study of period race images would give you all of the proof you need of this. As this car was intended for Sebring I have even more specific knowledge on this subject as I researched a lot alongside Matthias Bartz when he did his Dino restoration of his NART prepared and raced Dino 206.

One thing that there is no doubt about is that this car was imported by Chinetti and listed as a 'competition' car in its paperwork. The question is does this make it a race car? I have seen lots of period documents (particularly in the Dino world of which I am familiar) of Chinetti importing cars as 'race cars' in order to skirt all kinds of US regulations pertaining to their importation. Add to this the early ownership history and later legal documents posted in this thread outlining the web of maneuverings in and out of the racing/exotic car world and it is easy to make the connection that this car is a competition car on paper only presumably to help its domicile in the United States.

That said at one time (pre restoration) it was a cool plexi Daytona with an interesting story and paper trail that may even allow it to back door certain FCA or Shell Historic requirements on a lets call it a technicality. Beyond that any provenance of it being a true competition car seems limited to stickers and a nose job.

According to the RM sales description:

Restored over the course of five years to “as-intended” competition specifications, it presents just as it would have if it were to compete at Sebring, an opportunity that the car unfortunately never had.

What I struggle to understand is based on what historically correct research was this final 'as-intended' conversion based on? Perhaps someone with more Daytona specific knowledge can chime in here as my Chinetti and NART knowledge from the early 1970's does not support its current configuration.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Well from the photo's of when Rock got the car, it looks to have a comp. engine, different wheels, racing fuel tank [ gas tank] the body work and interior looks to be that of a standard car, no roll bar shown in the older photos, but who know what may have happened over time.