New Ford GT | Page 51 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Liquid Blue w/Blue "ghost" stripes ...?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Somebody around 120 years or more ago said: If the lure of a horse is "smart" ... why would anyone (of even modest intelligence) settle for a motorised cart ???

Even some owners of big block classics are updating them with modern v8 engines which would be considered small block back then. Times change and the v8 is no longer the king of engines. I know this is hard for many Americans and Australians to deal with but in 20 years time I doubt any will still be produced.

Ford have made this car for the future not the past. A good way to show how good their ecoboost engines are. Just like the original GT40 showed how good their v8 engines were.
    Pete

3. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Sounds interesting. Ford does have a custom paint program for the NFGT, so that may be possible. Although with blue, it would be hard to resist the classic white stripes.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Just a matter of time until someone wrecks one and Gas Monkey Garage tries to stick a V8 in it.

5. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard

Yep, and the gigantic scoop sticking out of the back trying to cover it will be titts! Pass me a beer ....

6. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    The ecoboost was never put in the GT for fuel efficiency. It was put in there for 3 main reasons.
    1. To promote the V6 TT platform capability throughout their fleet of cars ($$$$$$$).
    2. Packaging. Very tight engine bay limited possible choices (Porsche Le Mans winner uses V4 correct?)
    3. It was already a championship winning engine so R&D cost and time were greatly reduced (Remember the NFGT came out of left field, opposite of lets say NSX). The voodoo engine is awesome but not proven on a championship race program level.

Its okay to admit you were/are upset Ford didn't pick you. To say you don't look back is not true, just look at the forum you're posting in daily. Lets get back on track about finding out more truths about the car until proper tests have been run. We should let the car speak for its self.

You have 2 AMAZING cars on order. Please tell me you went for Series I in a race livery. Would love to here more about your Superformance GT40.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I might agree with you ... except the "ecoboost" gets worse fuel efficiency than a similarly powered V8 or V10.

Why "upgrade" for similar power, and worse fuel economy? If Ford made this car for "the future" as you claim ... what exactly is the technological advancement?

8. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #1258 werewolf, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    You haven't been paying attention. It's not that Ford didn't "choose" me ... i never finished the application, because i lost interest half-way through. The reality is, I didn't choose Ford.

And i still haven't gotten an answer, to a VERY basic question. Most manufacturers ... even Ferrari ... are moving to lower displacement, turbocharged engines for improved fuel efficiency. THIS is the march forward in technology we're witnessing: similar, or increasing, power with better fuel efficiency. Ford even proudly advertises "EcoBoost" for the NFGT. And yet, the NFGT gets slightly WORSE fuel efficiency than similarly powered normally-aspirated engines, and MUCH worse fuel efficiency than similarly powered turbo engines ... Why?

Personally, I don't care about fuel efficiency in supercars. But Ford ... and other manufacturers ... obviously do !!

Regarding packaging, i don't really accept that argument either. The new Ford GT is a HUGE car, by modern performance standards (dimensions posted earlier) and the aerodynamic Cd (in Vmax mode, where downforce is intentionally minimized) is nothing to brag about, either.

The ONLY argument that makes sense, for the choice of Turbo V6, is lower cost ... as you've said. On that point, we'll agree.

Thanks for the kind words on my GT40 ... i've already provided more specifics, a few posts above.

9. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Regardless of the weight/power/cylinder count/Cd/fuel economy, do you accept the fact that the NFGT is a successful race car and that the street car is closely built to the race car specifications?

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Problem, as i see it, with most racing series :

- over-regulated ("balance of power", comes to mind)
    - too political ... influence can be "bought"
    - teams with biggest budgets, or best factory support, tend to win

Personally, i put much more value in the performance of street cars (even those derived from race cars) as measured and compared by many multiple drivers, and journalists, across multiple circuits.

11. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Is that a yes or a no?

12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Clearly, "no".

For example ... how closely is the street car (and those others against which the car competes) influenced by the "balance of power" regulations in the series where the car races? Are all street cars (those against which the NFGT will be compared) hampered by the air restricters used in the racing series (forgive me, it's been a while since i looked at the regulations) ?

My point is : in many racing series, cars are REGULATED to very similar power levels (for example) to keep the "playing field even", and thereby make for more exciting racing. Under these restrictions, I just don't see the direct-connection to less-regulated street car performance.

If you're asking me, did the Ford GT ... with full factory support ... win some races in 2016? The answer is YES. Did the Ford GT lose some races against a Ferrari 488 ... run by an underfunded private team ... in 2016? The answer is YES. But these results, in my view, don't have a direct correspondence to street car performance ... one way or the other.

That's why i've been more focused on objective data ... for the street car that owners will actually purchase ... like power, weight, aerodynamics, etc

13. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Is the 488 a successful race car?

14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Won some races, lost some races.

And one would think that the race car is VERY closely related to the street car, right? ;)

My point is simple: given the overly-regulated series in which the car races, the connection is nowhere near as close as it may seem.

15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Now it's time for my questions ...

Do you think that the "success" (as you define it) of the new Ford GT in (heavily regulated) racing will directly translate to success ... on the street or track ... against other street cars to which it will be compared?

16. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    I'll answer your questions, but first clarify your answer. Are you saying the 488 is not a successful race car?

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Very successful in some races, less successful in others.

If you want a more specific answer, provide a more specific definition of "successful".

18. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Use the same criteria that permitted you to answer with a definitive "no" when asked the same question about the NFGT.

19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    The definitive "no" was in response to the notion that there's a direct connection between the car racing in a heavily-regulated series, and the street car (which was the second part of your compound question).

Time to answer my questions ...

First : do you think that Ford's "success" in heavily-regulated racing will directly translate to "success" ... on the street, or on the track (as driven by civilians, club racers or journalists) ... for the street car, against other street cars to which it will be compared?

20. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Huh? It's a simply question. Is the 488 a successful race car?

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Here's the question i answered "no" to :

Note the compound question ... i answered "no" to the second half, and provided ample reasoning, many times.

Time to stop dodging, and answer MY questions ...

22. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The conversation goes nowhere in the absence of some intellectual honesty. If you bother to answer the questions without playing semantic gymnastics, I'll show you what a direct, honest answer looks like.

23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    LOL

Still dodging, i see. I've answered everything, directly and honestly. I answered "no" to a compound question (posts #1259 thru #1262, and quoted ... and re-answered ... in post #1271) about the NFGT ... and provided clear reasoning why ... and you call it "semantic gymnastics" :rolleyes:

Meanwhile ... more than one of my questions has gone un-answered ... post after post. No worries. It's clear why you refuse to answer.

But alas, this is pointless. Have the last word, and enjoy your car!

24. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    You're dead to me.

25. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    "Hi guys, I'm Shmee" posted up a new video today. The exterior is sexy as hell but my goodness, the interior is a giant 5hit-show. The buttons and switchgear look like they were ripped out of a 90s era Pontiac Grand Prix parts bin. They couldn't have done any better with the materials and design?? The 05/06 GT was killer on the inside.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1ZOedKzaTA&t=930s[/ame]