Tourneau sells watches with no boxes or papers! | FerrariChat

Tourneau sells watches with no boxes or papers!

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Hello all. I was just browsing today in a Tourneau and saw a nice looking preowned Rolex explorer II with a black face. I owned one of these many years ago and it was stolen and I always wanted to replace it.

I was just talking price with the sales guy and I nonchalantly asked what I thought was a rhetorical question "the watch has its original box and papers of course?" And to my surprise he said no. Then he said "none of these watches have boxes and papers, most people throw them away."
    After I had stopped laughing I told him I don't buy watches without boxes and papers because it almost certainly means the watches are stolen.
    He gave the "wow you are a real d*ck" look.

I thanked him and left.

Is anyone else surprised a major watch chain would buy watches with no box and papers? Is that common?

2. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Not surprising.

My suggestion is stay away from Tourneau for anything pre-owned.

Talk with David if you are looking for an Explorer. He is 100% trustworthy with thousands of worldwide references. The guys who play over on The Rolex Forum all know him.

I have bought, sold and traded many expensive watches with him over the years.

https://davidsw.com/product-category/rolex/explorer-ii/

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not surprised, and it's very common.

If you really told him "that means it's stolen." you probably sounded a bit... well...

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#4 Cigarzman, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Truth is many watches I buy don't always have box and papers which doesn't make them bastard watches . They will just sell for less than ones with. I don't see the big deal at all. Oh by the way sometimes stolen watches have box and papers too. I do this for a living and have been down that road too. Pissed off ex wife to be sells the husbands watch with box and papers. Guess what ? He reports the watch as ....you guessed it .... stolen. Best, Kirk

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I sold them a nice Tag last fall. It was my wife's and she wanted something else. We no longer had the box but we had the card documenting the diamonds and the warrrenty card. Whoever bought it got a nice watch. And I was happy with their offer on a 10 yo watch.

6. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yeah, I didn't care about papers when I got my GMTII. They can easily be forged. I bought from a trusted reseller on another forum and they have a stellar reputation.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Gotta have box and papers if you want to appeal to everyone. Some people don't care but most do, or have been conditioned to.

8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Lol, yes he wasn't amused.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Are you aware that in cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, or even Naples, there are Rolex specialized gangs? They don't do home robberies but assault at gunpoint. These watches are then transported to Argentina, the US, Europe, etc., and ended up being sold by second hand dealers. There are even cases of deaths, so a Rolex without papers might even be dirty with blood.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This is why I wear a Patek...no one knows what the heck it is. lol :)

11. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Same with Breguet.

Joe

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes , I'm very aware because my Hublot was ripped off my wrist in Naples. My vacation cost me an extra 20k. So .... I get it.

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Naples, Florida ?

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Waterside shops have gotten brutal.

:)

Matt

15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I do this for a living too and I honestly would have had the same reaction as the guy if I was in his shoes. A lot of people ask me for box and papers and if the watch doesn't have them, I tell them I can source one but it will cost more.

Just like a Ferrari with all the service records, basically. Generally it is better to buy with papers but not everybody cares and also not everyone saves those as if it's their will.

16. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    Roma I see you are in ny. I know two reliable source for a watch depending if you want new or pre owned. If you are interested shoot me a pm.

17. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    That is why when I travel it is always a Timex not the Rolex.

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Lmao ! Naples Italy

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    naples, Italy can be pretty bad...

20. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Exactly. My old boss was held up in a taxi between the airport in Caracas and the hotel. They got his Rolex. Could have been worse as he was left unharmed.

21. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Watches, cars...etc I am a stickler for as much originality as possible, ...books, records, boxes, hang tags, MSRP stickers, etc are all important to me...not always a deal breaker but sometimes a deal maker when it comes with all original documents, etc

22. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    I also make a living selling New and Pre-owned watches... There are many scenarios in which a dealer would be selling a watch with out box or papers. (Lets keep in mind, these are watches and can go one your wrist without paper work, unlike a car where as without a title you would have to jump through hoops before being able to tag and register in order to enjoy it)

Common no paper Scenarios: On newer models, people often make watch purchases out of country while on vacation to avoid sales tax. Apart of this is also avoiding VAT. In order to do this, the box and papers are often left behind while the person wears the watch back into their country so they do not have to claim it. Years later, this guy/gal wants to upgrade and trade theirs in but do not have box or papers.

Another common one that i come across are gifts and inheritance. Often times the people receiving the items are not aware of the importance of original boxes and papers and they often get lost in the shuffle.

At my store, I have a handful of boxes and papers to watches that i have sold over the years. Not for any particular reason, the papers are worthless without the watch, and i can not use them for anything else, they just get left behind in some transactions.

The picture I am trying to illustrate is that, just because a watch does not have papers, it does not automatically put it in the "stolen" category. The watch could have many stories and because it is not accompanied by the papers does not make it a worthless or unwanted piece. Many people are interested in acquiring a time piece for a little less, after all you re wearing the watch, not the papers.

Also, when buying pre-owned rolex or any brand for that matter, stores are required by law to fill out a police report with model number, serial number, and description on every item that is purchased.

While watch only purchases are not for everyone, there is still a legitimate and desirable market for the watch only sales.

23. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Another possible scenario for missing papers: Your father was shot down over Vietnam and sent to a POW camp for 5 years and hid his watch up his *** so that it could be passed along to his son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

24. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    rolex's and glocks go hand-in-hand