48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale | Page 6 | FerrariChat

48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Newman, it sounds like you out to be heading out to Hilton Head!

Let us know how it goes if you do!

Cheers!

Ruben

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Can I bid online?

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Wasn't the last owner a member here who sunk a ton into it trying to sort it?
    Barrett Jackson is not a good venue for this car, if indeed at no reserve someone might get a fair(for BJ)price.
    Why the current seller insists on a mountain of cash for it is beyond me. Modified cars, especially not fully sorted ones, are almost always worth less than an original piece.
    Neat car? For sure. Worth double and then some of the average one? The market has spoken, or not.
    Good luck Newman!

4. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've been bidding on it as well, usually in the 30-35k range as well, just to test the waters. Interesting that the auction always ends in this price range and now it is up for auction with this.

It seems they should have just taken one of the offers on eBay instead of unloading it at this auction.

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Anyone know what happened? It appears the website is not updated from this past weekend's auction results as of yet.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And I would've paid more than that because a lot has been spent so there is value for whoever owns it.

7. CGG

CGG Rookie

Dec 31, 2016
    Jagbuff,

I am fairly new to Ferrarichat and have no idea yet how to send a direct private message. Anyway, poor, lowly, unloved 48611 has been in my garage in upstate NY for the past couple months receiving much needed attention. I think the last substantive work done to it was done by you many years ago. It is still an exceptionally solid car, it just needs TLC. Like several others on this Board, I chased the car on ebay last fall and finally bought it directly from the seller in Florida for around 30k right at the end of December. We are in a rural area with vast stretches of meandering open roads which is really what this car was intended for and how it should be driven, in my opinion. While the modifications that Greg did are subjective and not for purists, I have seen the changes he did to some Lambos, and so, to me, the modifications were a positive in addressing some of the shortcomings of the stock 400 and considerably enhance the value of the car. As you well know, this car isn't somebody slapping a couple turbo's on a 400.

Anyway, I could ramble on for a while, but I do have a question for you. The car came with no historical paperwork and I understand from the thread you have the receipts from the work done by Greg and yourself. Could I pay you to send them to me, or pay you to make copies and send them to me?

Best Regards,
    Chris
    Saratoga Springs, NY

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Congratulations, Chris!

To PM, just click on his name at his last posting, and select send private message, or else go to your user CP and enter his name in the send PM box.
    Send us some pics of the engine bay!

Cheers

Patrick

9. CGG

CGG Rookie

Dec 31, 2016
    #134 CGG, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Patrick,

Thank you for the welcome and PM instructions. Until my first post was accepted by the moderators, I think I was on double secret probation and unable to PM, but now have the option and will reach out to Jagbuff without bothering everybody else. Its evening here, so the engine bay is a little dark, but photos are attached. The only visual difference between the prior photos on this thread are the gas lifts for the hood. The OEM Gillardini's were shot so I had new ones fabricated.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Congrats Chris! Very cool!

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for joining this group, Chris, and welcome to the fold!

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Congrats and I would love to hear your driving impressions

14. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...looks very familiar :)

15. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck

Chris,
    Let me check, if I recall properly I sent everything in a binder to the buyer with the tool kit and folio. I may have scanned some the receipts from Greg but I will have to check on my office computer.

Please share your driving impression, can't say that I drove the car extensively as I spent more time fixing it, and getting familiar with MS and Tuner SW, it was a fun and interesting experience. What I really wanted to do was put a manual transmission in it as th. Even with MShift slaved to the MS, 1 to 2 shift under full boost is a little daunting...especially on old rock hard tires :)

Best,
    Franck

16. CGG

CGG Rookie

Dec 31, 2016
    Thanks everyone for rolling out the welcome mat. Between winter weather and much needed TLC, I have not had much experience driving it yet. It has not had much TLC since it left Franck's garage 5 years ago. For example, with just the front lights, changed the bolts to stainless, replaced all the cage nuts that hold the lights, changed the bulbs as the bulbs looked like the Wal-Mart variety pack and changed the female wiring connections as they were loose after 30 years. Carried that theme from the front lights all the way back to changing the rubber doughnuts on the mufflers.

It is a little hairy under boost as you can end up sideways. In fairness though, the TRX's on the car are so old they should be on display in the Smithsonian. The car would clearly benefit from new wheels which could accommodate new tire technology. Personally, it is more important to me to have the outward appearance of the car match how it left Maranello in 1984, so "new" TRX's arrived from Coker today and I look forward to getting them mounted. Far from ideal tires, but its not a track car nor do I intend to use it on the track.

My plan is to swap the Corvette 4 speed for a manual, but I want to drive it for a while first and get a feel for it. The Lambo's that Greg modified saw a hp boost from 500 to around 750 and he used a similar template for this 400. I would think the car is putting out in excess of 400hp but I do not have a feel yet for how much is being consumed by the auto.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Chris

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Can you post some info on the transmission swap? Maybe some pictures from under the car?

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Go back to page 1, lots of shots there.

19. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I think a new thread is in order! :)

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Chris,

Indeed, welcome to the Group! I wish for you to enjoy your car in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam