New One Off Lexus Boat | FerrariChat

New One Off Lexus Boat

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Ferrari 641, Jan 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 641

Ferrari 641 Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2010
    Sorry if a repost:

From supercars to a super speedboat: Lexus unveils a stunning 885hp carbon-fibre sports yacht with twin V8 engines and power-adjustable seats

The engines are based on the unit that powers the Lexus RC F coupe - and propel the vessel to nearly 50mph

The upper deck and hull are made from hand-laid carbon fibre, which Lexus also uses for its LFA supercar
    The standing-height forward passenger cabin is finished in luxurious leather with wood and glass details*

Lexus is best known for its luxury cars – but its top engineers have been hard at work proving that they can build super speedboats as well as supercars.

The manufacturer has unveiled a stunning sports yacht powered by two 5.0litre V8 engines – based on the unit that powers the Lexus RC F coupe - that between them develop 885hp and propel the vessel to nearly 50mph.

Sensational pictures reveal that the design is one of the most eye-catching around. The upper deck and outer hull are made from hand-laid carbon fibre, which Lexus also uses for its LFA supercar.

It has all the gadgets you'd expect from Lexus, too.

A bow-thruster with joystick control aids with docking. And the captain monitors and controls on-board systems from a touchscreen panel.

Screens show GPS navigation, digital charts, surface radar, underwater sonar, lighting and entertainment systems.

The captain's seat, meanwhile, is power-adjustable with armrests that fold out to become jump seats on either side.

Two separate teams there were briefed to create an open sport yacht for recreational day sailing, accommodating six to eight people, powered by twin high-performance Lexus V8 engines, with advanced handling and styling.

Their concepts were submitted for evaluation in summer 2015.

'This allowed us to explore how Lexus design language could be applied to a maritime idea,' said Yoshihiro Sawa, Lexus International Vice President.

'For the Lexus Design Centre this project has been very exciting. The effort is valuable to us as it stirs our creative energies and pushes our imagination to design and lifestyle possibilities outside of the automotive realm we know so well.'

The selected proposal was refined throughout 2015, with the Marine Department engineering the construction and on-board marine systems.

The concept, revealed on Thursday, is a bespoke, one-off project. There is no intention to put the yacht into production.

Read more: From supercars to a super speedboat: Lexus unveils a stunning 885hp carbon-fibre sports yacht with twin V8 engines and power-adjustable seats | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. Ferrari 641

Apr 18, 2010
    #2 Ferrari 641, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Ferrari 641

Apr 18, 2010
    #3 Ferrari 641, Jan 12, 2017
  4. Ferrari 641

Apr 18, 2010
    #4 Ferrari 641, Jan 12, 2017
  5. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #5 threepedal, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    That vessel is as functional & practical as a tanning salon business on the sun!!!

Simple examples..."Where are the forward docking cleats or navigation lights.

The stern rub rail is useless considering the forward beam is greater than the stern beam dimensions.

The driver's seated position would cause the driver to have absolutely NO vision over the bow or directly ahead, especially considering bow rise angle ( running angle)

Imagine how SLICK & UNSAFE that glass surface area covering the engines is with ANY type of moisture!!!

The location of the engine compartment air intake scoops is directly facing FORWARD & in the path of spray & waves!

With NO raised transom & a "Go Fast" vessel...can see this vessel being Extremely UNSAFE!!!!

A quintessential example of "Form over Function"

6. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #6 DK308, Jan 13, 2017
    I'll never understand why these companies do this. Why on earth would anyone run 50 mph in that thing when you can run 150 mph in this instead? An Outerlimits SV52 is 100% handlaid CF from the keel up, it has a full cabin with all the leather, fabrics, AV equipment you'll want, AC, a toilet, a wetbar and so forth. It seats 5 or 6 and sleeps 2 with stand up head room. All this with a race winning pedigree and the honor of being one of the best built, if not the best built brand in the world of powerboats. 50 mph? That's not even cruising speed in the modern world of big powerboating.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #7 DK308, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Not sure I follow some of your safety issues. What do you mean by "raised transom"?
    As for a smooth engine hatch? You just place some plush sunbathing mats there when doing that. Bare feet will provide a fair amount of grip on a surface like that. Other than that, anyone stepping directly on the boat surface with shoes or dirty socks, deserves to fall on their ass.
    It's difficult to see whether or not there's pop-up cleats there. My guess is there is.
    Can't see a big problem with the seating position and plenty of boats are narrower in the rear than the bow, and the rubrail here serves it's purpose fine in some situations.

But basically, this is a business gimmick from Lexus - and purely aimed at people who know and like the Lexus brand, but have zero clue about powerboats.

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #8 DK308, Jan 13, 2017
    For those who think the Outerlimits is too wild and want more amenities, there's always the Nor-Tech 80 Roadster which is still 70 mph capable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    How about Magnum? Is Katrin still building big boats?
    I know they got out of the 150mph+ boats a few years ago; more money in luxe than sheer speed....?

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ...Aston Martin has done the same thing [better, imho] but still silly unless you need the 'safety' of a name to toss around the cocktail party.....

edit: actually better for these Aston & Lexus boats to be around; keeps potentially unsafe people away from the really fast hulls!

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Haha true.

I believe AMG did something similar about 15 years ago(not talking about the Merc powered Cig). Or maybe it was only AMG engines in a Scarab. Can't remember.

I'd prefer if those who didn't know how to drive boats bought Sea Ray Sundancer models. Then they could run a safe slow boat.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Magnum is back and builds "fast" big diesel cruisers.

They never had a 150 mph boat though - far from it as far as I know. The pleasure mono hulls that are doing those speeds only appeared within the last 5 years or so. Don't remember when Magnum when out of business back in the day and shut down powerboat production, but it was in the early to mid 90's. Back then 90 mph was huge. Back then the Magnums were pretty much the same kind of heavy sturdy resin buckets like Apache, Pantera and old Cigs. Not fast, but very good in the rough stuff. It wasn't until Reggie started doing his stuff that 100 mph vees became more "common". Even in the early 2000's 100 mph vee pleasure boats were rare.

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't think I have ever seen a body of water that I would want to go 150 mph on!

14. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Years ago Lexus made a pass at comp ski boats to compete with Mastercraft and Nautique. They lined up good dealers but they never sold many.

I think the boat above is just ugly beyond compare looking a bit like a condom full of grey mud. That's a very crowded segment with the likes of Riva and so on.

15. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    "A condom full of grey mud"...brilliant! I'm still laughing!

16. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Anything with about 2 foot waves and a bit of head wind work great to "un-stick" the hull.

It's less "dramatic" than it seems in a big boat built for it. Looking at how fast some people drive in traffic, makes going 150 in a fast cat seem like the sensible thing to do. A v-bottom at 150 mph is more demanding, but still doable with the right "tools".

17. JWeilan

JWeilan Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Styling is as exciting as their road cars.

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Lexus built ONE supercar, not supercarS

That boat looks like a yawnathon.

I don't want to be like the dude in the boat, dressed poorly w one so so looking wifey w him.

Screw that

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Mar 8, 2017
  20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Mebbe those nutty, whale hunting Japanese are thinking they're "Giving something back" to the ocean? :eek:

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    How about something a little more traditional?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX7tc3A57xc[/ame]

22. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Looks like a shoe

More I look at that guy more I feel sorry for him

No Lexus boat for me.

I'll take a 100ft yacht well stocked w booze & Bubbles

23. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Where's the stupid giant grill? Only one motor?
    Definitely take a Fountain any day!

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #24 ryalex, Mar 10, 2017
  25. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Looks more like a Doctor Scholls inspiration.