1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition | Immaculate, Low-Miles Original, 1 of 51 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition | Immaculate, Low-Miles Original, 1 of 51

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Sterling Sackey, Feb 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Thanks Chris!

To answer your question, no they are not.

I will let your below statement stand on its own as an answer to your concerns about keeping the mods. :)

2. usurbrain

usurbrain Rookie

Nov 24, 2010

I got a nicer one.. but it's more expensive since I don't want to sell it :) I know of two of them that has sub 10k miles.

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I meant on the market :)

4. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    No personal offense intended, Sterling.

I just feel the full extent of the modding did seem to be down-played, and I think full disclosure is always better.

No, you are right, I have no intention of buying this car, as I'm quite happy with my current '92 GPW NSX.

I've had a Ferrari, another one is in my future, but the NSX is doing fine for now.

5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

As I expected. Thanks for your input, George.

6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

That's the key, isn't it. ;)

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Maybe I just don't get it but to me, a "no story car" is an origional car that has always been origional and has not had any accidents or issues. Everything else is "a story" whether everyone buys into the story or not is entirely subjective. It doesn't mean anything necessarily bad or not but any change from how the car rolled of the factory line is a story by definition.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I think we are getting carried away with semantics here. If someone had for sale a PERFECT original and unmodified time capsule NSX that say happened to belong to Senna then you can argue that the car is a 'storied' car because of the special ownership.

In general 'stories' in used car lingo refers to stuff that would be un-reversible like theft history, branded title, paintwork, re-built engine, mis-matched numbers, etc. This car appears to be well and transparently advertised. A proper PPI will reveal the current condition of the car which should be all of the assurance a buyer would need to make an informed decision as to how correct the car is TODAY.

9. NA1MT

NA1MT Rookie

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just to clear up the "warranty" issue. This car did NOT have a Comptech supercharger installed.....it had the SOS version, which was never offered as an option and would have voided the cars warranty if it still had one at the time of install. It produces more boost, and requires the installation of an aftermarket ECU. These motors were known to blow out ringlands as a result of adding boost to an already high compression motor. SOS is one of the most reputable shops around for this car.....but the fact that it had been boosted prolly to 9psi has decreased the life of this engine without a doubt.

10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Here is an excerpt from the PPI Science of Speed performed before returning the car to stock:

compression test & spark plug inspection (optional): Very good condition (new: 215-220 PSI).

cyl 1: 215 cyl 2: 220 cyl 3: 215 cyl 4: 215 cyl 5: 215 cyl 6: 215

spark plug condition: OK

11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Listed in "general notes" on the PPI mentioned above:

"In the 11 1/2 years I have been working on NSX's, this is by far the one of the 
nicest vehicles to come through the shop."

12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Here is a dyno run performed after the supercharger was removed, showing like-new power levels for a stock 1999 NSX:

https://youtu.be/pObkuLxtSGs

13. NA1MT

NA1MT Rookie

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The last two shops that have worked on mine told me the same thing.....lol. I think all anyone is saying is that you should disclose that the car was extensively modified and returned to stock. Especially given the asking price you are searching for. It would probably be the highest amount ever attained for any NSX sold between 1991-2017 in the USA.

I also failed to mention that the injectors also are replaced with that SOS setup. And as I said on my original post......Good luck with your sale. If you get someone to pay that amount, it's good for all of us that own these cars.

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

It was disclosed, in the OP. I didn't include a full list (was intending to give that info to prospective buyers), but will do next time.

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

For those curious, the supercharger kit was installed by ScienceofSpeed in 11/2012 at 15,251 miles, and removed by them in 3/2016 at 21,000 miles. The compression numbers above demonstrate the health of the engine at the time it was returned to stock.

16. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

What is the horsepower on this car . . . with and without the supercharger?

17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

290 horsepower to the crank, stock. Obviously less to the wheels, as with any car.

Not sure on the supercharged numbers, that's not my specialty.

18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The car is listed on eBay, link below. I can't edit the OP here but you can refer to the revised wording in my listing there, as well as my various posts in this thread. I hope that clears up any discussion of transparency. :) The car is truly in immaculate condition, I hope it goes to a good home.

1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition | eBay

19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Beyond me why sellers aren't completely transparent upfront about a car's history. It's a relatively small community at the end of the day and it ALL comes out anyway. Hope the lesson was learned.

It's a very nice car, GLWS.

20. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks. Very nice car.

21. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Careful where you tread. Piston failure with the forced induction NSX is because of poor timing maps that did not retard the ignition, and / or did not have an aftercooler with high boost configurations.

I had four different supercharger configurations on my NSX ... Comptech 6 PSI, Comptech 9 PSI, Paxton 8 PSI, Paxton 12 PSI. Crucial to a healthy engine is optimizing the air-fuel mixture under boost. I ran a wide-band O2 sensor and had a perfect stoichiometric ratio of 12:1 at full boost. I fine-tuned the fuel map and timing map myself. The engine made obscene power, was tracked hard and never had any problems.

With the two Comptech setups, I did not have an aftercooler. With the two Paxton setups, I had a water-cooled, closed loop aftercooler.

22. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    As far as I can tell the seller has been transparent. He clearly states in his original post that the car was modded and then brought back to stock.

Yep. Properly done these are very hardy motors.

It's a great car. Wish I could buy it. Now is not the time for me. Glws.

23. Casey_A

Casey_A Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    Texas
    Gorgeous car, you might not be asking enough IMHO.

24. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    WOW fantastic car!

25. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor