WTB 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible | FerrariChat

WTB 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by simchanova, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...looking for a fairly priced car...does not have to be a low low low mileage car but I do not want anything over 35,000 miles...I know these cars VERY WELL so I can tell if the speedometer has been turned back so I want none of that...I plan to keep this car for a long time so I am looking for an excellent example...they all have needs though as they are 41 years old...610-360-5988 is my [email protected] is email...thanks to everyone in advance,Stuart

2. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    You claim to not need "low mileage" but then go on to say not more than 35,000 miles. Excuse me? A 40,000 mile car is less than 1,000 miles per year.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  4. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #4 166&456, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Such low mile cars could be out there, could take a lifetime to find though esp if color scheme and price need to be right too.

Low miles is just one criterium and not completely reliable when it comes to condition. My great aunt owned a Ford that was very low miles when she died, she was still allowed to drive until the age of 93 despite her poor eyesight. Had some scary times driving along with her.
    She must have backed it into the narrow garage door at least five times, once actually taking the door frame out.
    She also basically floored both pedals when backing out, using only the brake to regulate speed with the car groaning and wailing. I remember the gearbox was not very healthy when the time came to sell it, lol.

5. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    One of the first cars commonly mothballed at birth as a future collectible - plenty of low-milers still out there ...

6. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    I owned one some years back. Loved it. Mine was fuel injected. 14,000 were made in 76 and a lot of folks pickled them so finding what you want should not be difficult.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    +1

The end of the convertible era was announced just before this, in other words, GM's (and most everybody else's) "Last Convertible" forever.

8. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    What is interesting is that there were just under 10k made in 1975. Once the announcement was made that 1976 would be the last year for production, people started buying em up. Story goes that they could have sold a lot more than 14k, but they ran out of material for the top assemblies.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I believe it was also the largest American automobile ever made , by proportions.

10. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...there are a number of these cars with super low mileage on them...with super high unrealistic prices...by low mileage I mean specifically in the 35-45,000 miles range...these cars are more realistically priced and MORE IMPORTANT THEY HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED...low mileage "mothballed" cars have tons of deferred maintainance which can add an additional $10,000 dollars or more...these cars are not worth that much and never will be...in fact,as time goes on,they will be worth even less...I am just wanting a well maintained example that has all of its needs taken care of...these cars are 41 years old...things like radiator recoring,tires,belts,the plastic fillers,heater cores,master cylinder,fading of carpet and leather,new top necessary,etc,etc,etc... all add up...S

11. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Stuart,

I'm curious why you want one of these.
    You are a careful car collector so it is an interesting choice.
    IMO they are beautiful cars and would be fun for cruising around town.
    Just curious on how you see using it?

12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #12 Hoodude, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Florida, get groceries, go to the club, to the beach. Gas is cheap so not crazy to run it every week.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had one...the River Oaks here is full of them, stashed away....

We use them every year at the Rodeo, for the Ride In event around the area.
    Usually with steer horns on the hood.

Front tire burn outs were a hoot.
    I totaled mine into a School Bus after a football game, with Goldie Quervo (not her real name) leaving her hand prints broken into the dash pad...the BUS ran the red light!

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    501 cubic inch V8 was the largest gasoline carbed engine, from GM.

I know of two of those, in the crate ready to go....

16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #16 Mang, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Now I'm wanting one for florida. I was really thinking TR6 or MGB, but a big comfy caddy probably wouldn't be bad. Except, I'm not sure it will fit in the garage, seriously. Parents had a 79 sedan de ville when I was younger and it was a tank, but really comfortable and interior was like a living room; thick deep carpet and beautiful leather seats.

18. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
  19. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...YOOOOOOO MIKE!...you are a funny cool dude...Ron...my dad had one...love the big caddy convertibles...not wanting to drop serious dough on a car that Will depreciate...just want to cruise around with others in a drop top...it's a beautiful car (to me) in right colors...they,like all GM stuff were made like crap...last great Caddys were made in 1970...in fact the 1970 was the last great Bill Mitchell/Harley Earl decision gorgeous design...I love he first generation Eldorado's also...the styling is gorgeous...in fact a lot of the styling cues are from Italian designs...it was widely know GM went to the Turin auto show every year for design ideas...another car I love is the 1965 Buick Riviera...

20. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks Wesley K

21. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Fair enough. Spring Carlisle is coming up in a couple of months. May be worth spending a morning or afternoon over there.