Possible to keep a driver clean with no water? | FerrariChat

Possible to keep a driver clean with no water?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by davemqv, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Being the owner of a "pre-rust proofing car", and being obsessed with older cars that even "rust when you look at them" as some say, I have a question...

How do you guys keep them clean? I know there are a bunch of "waterless" car wash bottle based cleaners, but do those work if you actually drive the car enough to get it dirty?

How do people who actually put a few thousand miles on their cars every year keep them clean without water? Or is this only for cars that are driven for an hour once every month or two?

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    As long as you use proper care and follow the instructions of the manufacturer, the water less washes can be safe. The only one that I use is called Ech2o from Carpro. I have used this on clean cars and dirty cars with great results.
    Using the traditional water and buckets method can still be safe and not cause rust issues. Make sure to blow the water out as you dry and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave

By "blow the water out as you dry", do you mean with compressed air? Never thought of that but makes a lot of sense.

4. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I use "Master Blaster" 8 hp heated air blower. Believe it was originally marketed for motorcycles but works perfectly on my 360 and other cars.

5. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I use a heated air blower as well, The only way to finish a wash. Master blaster is what I use as well Best car care investment I ever made

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I am most concerned about the water that gets inside of the doors...

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo

Yes exactly. As others mentioned, the Master Blaster is a great tool. I have used the big 8hp model and it works great but it kept tripping our breaker. I went o the hand held 4hp and haven't looked back. This will get all of the water out of the places you don't want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I too am quite impressed with Ech2o, although I think I still prefer Smartwax One on my black garage queen since One seems to leave black paint a little glossier. It's less cost effective and a bigger pain to apply though. I've tested a number if others but these two are the only ones that impressed me enough to actually use.

9. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's easy when you live in Southern California, or anywhere in the Southwest. I haven't washed my Ferrari in over two years and it's been in two car shows in Monterey. This wouldn't happen in any area where brief rain showers occur. I use Meguires products that were part of the swag at Casa Ferrari in Monterey. They worked great and since then I've purchased more of their products. Ultimate Compound is my favorite.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #10 godabitibi, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    If you wash a car and make sure it dry well there shouldn't be any rust problem. Park the car in the sunlight for a while to get it hot and dry and store it in a well ventilated area. The rust is more from moisture and condensation from storage in a damp and non ventilated area. Something on the concrete floor that absord humidity is also a great idea.

Use some rust preventing fluid and spray some inside the doors by the drain holes at the bottom and also in the rocker panels. I owned my 77 308 for 18 years in Canada and I always washed it with lots of water and it never had a single rust spot. I even drove her for long trip in heavy rain. The secret is to make sure it dry well and stored properly. Put a fan sweeping under the car if your not sure your storage place is not the best.

11. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Use 2" painters tape, or similar, on the window seals before washing. The water shouldn't get in your doors then.
    Also use sponges and buckets to control where the water actually goes, vs spraying the entire car with a hose.
    Before we rubbed out a car we would 1" tape all the panel gaps and high points to prevent burning through the paint with the buffer.
    It's fast and easy to do, and will seal out most of the water during a washing too.

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone for the great info!

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I wash mine once a year and wash everything; engine bay, underneath, wheel wells; do it to get rid of the salt mist. After the the long August drive to Monterey along Hwy 1, sea mist gets everywhere. I just wash it on a warm day and then do a 10-20 mile trip on the freeway. That dries everything up. But I still have to wipe away the water spots off the paint.

john

14. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    If you can, try deionized water as it will not leave water spots even if washed in the sun.