Testarossa sitting position | FerrariChat

Testarossa sitting position

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by biztom, Feb 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. biztom

biztom Rookie

Feb 8, 2017
    Hi together,

I am new in this forum and will immediately bother you with my issue :)

My story goes on since few years. I looked into buying a Testarossa some years ago. I haven't done it and regret it now as prices went up significantly.
    Main reason for not buying one was the problem that I don't "fit" into the car. I am 187cm but it looks like my legs are unproportionally long. I barely can take a seat in the car and definitely could not drive it as i can't get my legs sorted in. Therefore I bought another toy back in the past.

But somehow I can't get over the Testarossa. It was always a dream car and I can't give up the dream to own one. So I am starting agin to look for a solution.

Has any one an idea? Is there a possibility to relocate the seat, extend the rails to move it further back?
    I also searched for a smaller steering wheel, but wasn't successful. Anyone some hints?
    Another idea was to somehow extend the steering column. Maybe with changing the steering wheel hub. Has anybody tried something like that?

Thanks for any help, tips, advise

Greetings
    Thomas

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I read somewhere they had to shrink the fuel tank on the driver's side in Michael Jordan's TR to accommodate him, and he is like 6'7"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a Testarossa and now a 512 BBi, I was amazed at home much better the seating position was on the BBi. The seat can be angled further back and there is much more leg room, the seat can be moved back significantly over the TR in my opinion.

If you are at all attracted to the 365, BB or BBi i would go sit in one and check out the seating position.

i was pleasantly surprised.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have seen tall people talk themselves into being comfortable in a TR but don't know how. I am 5 11 and my hair rubs the headliner. The seat goes all the way back to the bulkhead. It also rocks to different angles. I have a steering wheel spacer and that helps. The wheel moves up and down. If those adjustments don't do it get a bigger car.

5. biztom

biztom Rookie

Feb 8, 2017
    Thanks so far gentlemen!

@Rifledriver: The wheel spacer you are using, do you have any reference or part number?

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is a MOMO part and looks like it belongs there. Hill also makes one. Too long in my opinion and looks terrible.

7. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I have installed a smaller steering wheel. It is a MOMO.

8. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    #8 Sleestak, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Biztom,

I'm 6'6" (198cm) and I made it work. I have a 91 TR and what I chose was the Tillet B5 seat. I made my own sliding seat bracket that sits all to way on the floor, but is adjustable for those with shorter legs. I didn't have to modify the vehicle at all, all mounting holes are factory placed. I'm using the factory wheel, but added a 2" spacer, which really helped.

After two years of driving, the seat is a little stiff for me, but when it comes to leg and head room, it worked out perfectly.

In the future, I might make a seat with more lumbar support and more cushion. I was actually thinking of using and modifying Porsche 914 seats. I would restructure it to give it more style, because the 914 are rather boring.

If you need help, feed free to contact me.

Eric
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Herman Moore (ex NFL wide receiver) had a modified TR with the gas tank cut out for extra room. It was a black car. Was here in Detroit recently, the owner just sold it last year though.

10. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Are there differences between the 512 and the TR in this regard? I have driven 512TR's but not TR's; I don't remember being uncomfortable in the 512 (I am 1.83).

11. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Just saying, in this rare case, being 173 is just dandy!

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I always had fun with my 914/6
    so you have a 914 1,7 ltr or 2 ltr? the 1,7 ltr may be slower, but the handling is great
    also remember the age of those cars

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    512TR is much more comfortable than a testarossa. Better seats and a redesigned interior.

14. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Turbo-Joe

I apologize for that comment. I meant the "seats" of the 914 are boring (looking). Before I was a F-Car owner, I had P-Cars. I still do. I have a 72 911 RS Clone. I'm always looking for a 914 project. Great car and well balanced.

15. TJF

TJF Karting

Aug 27, 2011
    California
    I had a discussion just today with my mechanic about the seats
    he says if you remove the rail you can bolt the seat directly to the floor of the car, that would give you 1 inch additional space but then again the seats would be fixed.
    If you're the only one going to drive it it's a good option and you can replace it when you go to sell it

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    with the seats you are absolutely right. but at that time it has been something differnt than other seats and to sit in it was not so bad. I understood this "boring" for the car, not for the seats. so sorry for missunderstanding