488 speciale news | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 speciale news

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Andrew97, Nov 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So the fact that the OP owns 5 high value 'classic' Ferrari's means zilch when he tries to buy a new Ferrari for the first time ?

God help the rest of us poor peasants (even if we win the lottery).

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Classic Ferrari's do make a difference but it is not stupid of Ferrari to ensure sought after cars goes to those who buy other models in terms of priority. Once that demand is satisfied then any allocations left over become 'free'. Imagine if you were a customer who had bought a 430, Scud, 458, Speciale and 488 and could not get an allocation for a 488 VS? That would be the thing that really sucks. And to ensure they don't find themselves in that position, Ferrari must adopt the stance they have. Nothing to do with the dealer, although no doubt the dealer would do the same if Ferrari didn't. Why? Because with limited supply, a dealer can only maintain a certain number of customers. And I daresay the customers who repeatedly buy varying models and sell them back through the dealer again, help them to maximise and secure their earnings from that limited supply. I would do the same.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Of course he did. He IS a car dealer, isn't he? The next car will always be more special than the one you have now, namely if he is able to sell you one ;)

I for one would be extremely surprised if he told you the 488 Speciale is drawing less interest and attention than the previous model. A dealer isn't a Ferrari enthusiast nor do I expect him to be. He profits from your decisions and if he is a good seller, he will create the need to buy in you. Nothing to do with the 458 being a better or worse car than a 488. And I'll do you a favor by not letting you know my personal opinion on which is the better car :D (hint: avatar!)

Actually some Ferrari customers get fed up with that attitude (and others of the mindless pseudo-elitist sort), and go buy Lamborghinis and McLarens. One can't help but wonder if that strategy favours Ferrari as a multinational company on the long run, in a globalized and ultra-competitive world. If you put all customers Ferrari puts off in one room and sum up the ammount of money those enthusiasts spend on cars in one year, I believe we'd get a pretty seizable number. Don't know if Ferrari is at all worried about that or not, but the fact of the matter is the good old Enzo times of "build them and they'll come" are dead and buried.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Spot on. I found myself in a similar situation as the OP when I tried to order an F12M where owning 5 F-cars all bought privately (including some halo cars) counts for zilch. But fair enough. I think the dealer's perfect client is one who orders all the standard cars, gets allocated special cars which are then sold back to them after the Ferrari's expected "hold period" has passed. It maximises their revenue per car, and also works for Ferrari in creating an small secondary market with high prices and demand. While it is debatable whether this is creating a speculative environment that is good for Ferrari in the long run, it certainly helps to shift a lot more of the harder to sell cars. The dealer commented how the number of GTC4Lusso orders from existing customers has increased purely with a view to getting an allocation for the next limited edition.

6. Fezza328GTS

Fezza328GTS Rookie

Feb 11, 2015
    Apologies if this has been discussed previously in other threads, (please comment link!) but I personally haven't heard or read of any news regarding the hardcore version.
    Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks!

7. Fezza328GTS

Fezza328GTS Rookie

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks, appreciate it!

8. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Let's just say it's about a year away. I personally expect a Frankfurt launch later this year. But it is possible that it could be a bit further off, though not that much.

The Huracan "speciale" is to be revealed next week and it is naturally aspirated.

9. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Lots of rumors and speculation, but no hard facts. Some say Frankfurt, some say Geneva '18, some say Paris. I believe Paris is correct.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Remember that Ferrari rarely uses Geneva for the VS models. They usually reserve Geneva for new models and use Paris and Frankfurt for the VS cars.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Yup! Deposit down.
    Supposedly bested the 918 record at the Nurburgring

Sent from my 16M

12. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    #88 JagShergill, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
    That seems to be the way of things

I'm surprised - I would have thought your dealer would be all over you if you've maintained a long term relationship as a loyal customer of your dealership - over the brand ....

+1

13. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Now that 812 Superfast is "out" the 488VS must be high on the list for speculation.
    Anyone got any further info ?
    The 488 Challenge car has just done the rounds of dealers in the UK and I thought it looked great so high hopes for 488VS.

14. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #90 MisterMaranello, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Do some research into Ferrari Classiche for your cars. Ferrari North Europe (UK based) has its own Classiche department headed by Tony Willis. Order a GTC4Lusso, will make any dealer happy.

Know a client who has 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, Dino, 2x F12, FF, Daytona. Declined for LaF, although in F's defense, they were potentially willing to open the possibility if a set of conditions was met. Yes, that involved spending a lot of money with Ferrari. Took a year for them to accept him a TDF slot, with the caveat he ordered a Lusso beside it. "One Limited Edition V12 = One Regular V12". Considering he has only bought 2 or 3 cars new from Ferrari, he was lucky to get a slot. As said, dealer worked with Ferrari over a period of nearly a year to land his allocaton.

There is only an increase of people with money to spend on Ferrari. It's their game now more than ever before. Either play it or sit out. Say whatever you want, pretty sure the 488VS will be something entirely different to get hold of as opposed to a Scud or Speciale. Trickled down clients and buyers who aren't yet into the Limited Edition club will want one. An ever increasing group with money to spend but are yet to be on the right christmas card list, working their way upwards by playing the game as dictated by Ferrari's profitable rules.

15. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    #91 ajr550, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Has anyone got information or informed rumour (UK spelling I'm afraid) on the 488VS ?
    I posted a similar question on the 488 Speciale thread but I think it is the wrong place as that thread seems to exist so people can moan how difficult it will be to get one (nothing wrong with that I hasten to add).
    I am really more interested in what the car will be like.Having seen the 488 Challenge recently I have high hopes for the 488VS.
    Do we think launch at Frankfurt 2018 or Geneva 2019 ?

16. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I think the waiting list for a GTC Lusso is well over a year due to slow start of production, the higher initial demand both from new 4 seat GT customers or FF owners who have had their rides for several years, find it a great GT car that is practical and want to move to the replacement that has some improvements. The existing FF owners with older FF's really have no alternative for a luxury 4 seat V12 GT of this caliber today.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Maybe each of the regular threads descends into an availability debate because there is no new rumour let alone information......

18. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    That's why they don't want to sell to you. They love flippers more than anything. LOL.
    By the way, You have F50 and CS, have you test drive the 488? Based on my experience.........you won't like it. And the light weight version's engine will be the same with some extra boost.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's still early to tell (my dealer has no clue) but depending on the competitive environment it might even be Geneva 2018 for the "unlimited" lightweight, then waiting for another 6 months / 1 year to release the aperta limited edition. Even that would lead to a total production run of more than 4 years, and we need to keep in mind that the 488 is not a fully new model, being an evolution of the 458.

20. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    +2

This has also been verified by the general manager of my dealership. They have input on the list, but ultimately the dealer owner and factory nails down who gets what.

21. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc Brunner
    488 speciale will not be launched in Geneva:-(

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M9 mit Tapatalk

22. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland