Possible to have GTO exhaust note on 599 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Possible to have GTO exhaust note on 599 ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by KEC35, Nov 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
  2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Since this thread I installed the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass. While it doesn't have the higher pitch scream of the GTO (never will unless you swap headers), it sounds fantastic now imo. It's been a while now and I'm still happy with it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD31LHkA7JQ&t=124s[/ame]

3. WillF

WillF Karting

Dec 2, 2016
    Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    Will
    Hey Jay, PM me if you're interested in looking at the IPE options. We have extensive experience with the brand and have fitted many Ferrari's with it. It's a great option!

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Headers won't do it alone. Most of the GTO scream comes from the intake.

Equal length 4-1 headers(Supersprint), X pipe(Supersprint), sports cats(Novitec), and a titanium exhaust(Tubi) should get you closer with a naturally sounding system. The full bodied scream is all about the right intake though.

Innotech can make it "scream" but to me it's a very artificial sound. I really don't like it, as I prefer to hear how a high performance engine sounds when it breathes naturally. Your car is a nice example of that.

Just my 2

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    4-1 headers are going to leave a lot of holes open.

If someone bought the entire GTO exhaust system, the GTO scream would be there. One of our 575M buddies builds 6-1 headers for the Maranellos, and the scream is there. One thing to remember, too, is that the GTO does not have the precats in the headers that the 599s have, and that improves the sound, too. Allowed by improved cat technology. Deleting the primary catalysts (which everyone here calls the secondary catalysts) on a 599 will not give you the same sound.

6. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    100% true

7. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Hey roupin sounds great. I'm waiting to hear what that sounds like in person and ifni like itni might go down that route.
    GMP Will, thanks for the offer but I shoild mention I'm in australia (time to update that profile) , but if I were local I'd take you up on it for sure!

Taz you are a great fountain of knowledge as always

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello,

I love my 599, but I am very unhappy about the sound. No comparison to the old V12.

I have have primary (main - the ones under the center console) cat by-pass, and it really has not changed the sound - just made it much lounder.

I really do not know, most of the systems offered also sound "cheap" - just louder and makes the car lose its "GT" classy character.

I wounder if making a completely new exhaust from the main cats downstream would be the solution - ideally a deep bassy, throaty sound - I really hate the loud "scream".

9. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #34 DK308, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    I meant to say 6-1 headers. I guess I was in "V8 mode". But I still say that a lot of the GTO sound comes from the intake as well as the exhaust. Even if you modified the GTB chassis to allow the GTO exhaust to fit from headers and beck, a GTB will still not sound the same.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have to disagree on that one. If you swap the entire exhaust system, which would be very expensive, a GTB will sound just like a GTO. Should fit fine. Intake sound should not be that different between the two, if it actually makes a difference.

I believe my 575 buddy, Fabio, is talking about making 6-1 headers with 200 series cats for the 599, too. Should sound like the GTO when done. His 575M sounds like a GTO.

11. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    It sounds very similar to the video in person. The recording was done using a remote mic placed right under the license plate to grab both exhaust banks together.
    I heard another car with the same bypass and that one sounded slightly deeper and less raspier than mine, so there is some variation between these cars outside of the exhaust.

All GTB's will sound bassy. It's the product of 3-1 headers with built-in precats.

Terry, any word if Fabio has started development on the headers yet? Last time I messaged him he was still looking for a 599 but that was a while ago. What is he doing with the additional lambdas? I'm patiently waiting for a set.

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I tried to run the 550 without the air filter boxes for a few hundred meters. Believe it or not, there was not much more intake sound... It is true that the sound is a product of both the exhauat and the intake sound. But the sound inside the car is also a sound from the exhaust all the way from the engine to the outlet pipes at the back. What you hear is not just what pops out of the exhaust pipes behind the car. I drove Fabio's 575 with his 6-1 headers coupled to std HGTC mufflers, which made the car quite quiet... But inside, the sound was totally different. It sounded MUCH more "expencive" more like a Ferrari build by Bentley or something... That is because the catalyzers are like a guitar box and they also makes their own sound (which in this case is the product of six perfectly tuned pulses, rather than the product of two pipes with different length each containing three pulses.... Since no-one really seem to understand this (except the car manufacturers), this is my impression of the truth. I can not guarantee it, but it is based on my own experience!

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Roupin- I will ask Fabio via e-mail

14. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
  15. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    #40 contadino, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Simply, is due to the different exhaust design... headers ....
    follow the headers of 250 TR, at what are similar those old headers ...?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa

17. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017

18. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Considering that the 599 has double the displacement, it should sound much throatier.

Instead it has a high pitched scream that isn't pleasing at all compared to the old V12's.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

20. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    How could one increase the "bass" and "deepness" of the sound? Perhaps bigger mufflers (cans) at the end of the exhaust?

21. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    The easiest factory option, from a standard 599 GTB exhaust to get the titanium HGTE exhaust
    My car has a different sound than a normal 599 especially after 3500-4000 rpm

22. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Thanks Shahz - I need to look into it.

Last night a Diablo drove passed me and got so envious of the sound...

23. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.

Then you need something else, straight pipe! lol

24. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Not sure if that would help, may sound worse!

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

25. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Are you able to tell me if GTO mufflers will work on a GTB? I'm just not sure what part of the exhaust system your referring to saying it won't fit.