Trickle Charger | FerrariChat

Trickle Charger

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Dec 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hey Gang,

I just connected my CTek trickle charger to my Mondial...so sad it's winter! Do you recommend leaving it continually attached through the winter?

Happy Holidays to all of you,

Bruno

2. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Bruno

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 (Smart Charger) attached to my car permanently, they are design for long term connections and will regulate/condition the battery....

Merry Christmas to you & All.

Mike

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I keep a CTEK smart charger attached at all times when the car is parked in the garage and run the conditioner cycle a couple of times per year.

Usually when I come back from a run, it shows one light below full charge.

My cigarette lighter voltage meter says 13.4-13.7V when connected to the charger. I get 12.6-12.9V when the car is running with all accessories on, so our alternators don't have the cajones to be able to charge the battery hardly at all when the car is running.

I think keeping the battery at peak charge all the time has helped my car forestall problems with the alternator/charging system.

She also starts quickly and easily, spins up like a whirling dervish and runs like a "scalded ape!"
    Alden

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Unless it is a really old model, the CTEK chargers auto switch into a maintainer mode once the battery is fully charged. It probably also has a desulphination mode, which only works by being connected for a longer period of time. So should be set and forget. Just don't forget so much that you do not unplug it in the spring before the first drive!

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    They do go into "maintainer" mode automatically and continue to monitor the battery's charge status. They will switch back to charge mode if low voltage is detected. You have to "manually" select the desulphonation/conditioner mode on my CTEK, it doesn't do it automatically.
    Alden

6. gamester

gamester Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Erik Jonsson
    I had mine out today in the 21° weather. Love the Mondial heater. I always turn my main power knob off.

7. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays!

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Leary of leaving anything on electric indefinitely.
    Stuff happens, another poster wrote about deadly fumes in home due to battery outgassing from over charging.

9. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Have 4 - .9 amp -- 24/7 for years. 2 Ferraris, one on my wife's car and one on my mower.
    Not slightest problem. Extends battery life considerably.

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Right, but he was using an old style charger, not one of the new "smart" chargers that prevent overcharging and monitor battery health.

Reminds me of my Dad, who was never the worrying type, as he got older he started unplugging electrical stuff before he left the house. First it was a floor lamp, because he heard someone's home had burned down due to faulty wiring in a lamp like that. Then it was the TV's, lightening, of course. The toaster oven was next, then other lamps and his alarm clock. Whenever he heard of an electrically related tragedy, the offending appliance was next.

It took a good 20 minutes to get ready to leave his house and another 20 to plug everything back in. :)

Strange? Yes, but I played along because it made him feel secure, so do whatever makes you feel comfortable. :)
    Alden

11. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi,

I have always used a acted trickle charger all year. I also bought a Ferrari trickle charger and adapted the charger with a Cteck plug. I don't use it much but thought it would make a nice addition to the car

12. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #12 Lino, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Lino,
    That is an old school charger, I doubt it is controlled to keep from cooking the battery.
    Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looks like it needs a cat D399 to power it as well.

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think "medieval" is the best description of that leather bound instrument.

"Bring out the old charger, Igor!"

"No, Master, not that horrible device?"

"Yes, Igor, if this beast is to come alive we must use the most gruesome tools at our disposal."

Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

16. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I liked the look of it and works fine as a charger, obviously the newer are smarter, till they malfunction like my Ctech.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Reminds me of my first dentist