Anything have more impressive torque delivery than a Viper? | FerrariChat

Anything have more impressive torque delivery than a Viper?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Playboy V12, Jan 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    #1 Playboy V12, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    This isn't about drag times, 60 foot times, etc...

Purely about the seat of the pants feel, from a dead stop or even from a bit of a roll.

I was curious if there are any other cars that have that level of violence like a Viper (and you could probably categorize the RT/10 & GTS to the very latest Vipers as one, since it's the same 8.3/8.4 liter motor)?

I'm thinking the supercharged pony cars like the GT500, ZL1, ZR1, C7 Z06, Hellcat might have finally met the match or exceeded it.

I was lucky to drive a 2005 Ford GT, and that thing had really, really good torque delivery. But never drove a Viper to compare.

Really aimed at domestic muscle but I guess for fun we could include the 911 Turbo into the discussion if apt.

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    From a dig? Tesla P100D Ludicrous.

3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Please remember that pure torque delivery is a direct function of not only motor torque, but also trans & rear gearing ... and it's precisely the *gearing* that disappointed me with the 2005 Ford GT :(

The Hellcat is damn impressive, as are the 911 turbos (motor plus gearing). I think the new ZL1 will be up there too :) but i won't know for sure until i get through the 1500-mile break-in period :(

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    My Hellcat has 650 ft lb's of torque more than the Viper. It kicks you in the ass!

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Hellcat, ZR1 felt like that as well. GT500 has some serious grunt off the line, the ZL1 does as well.
    I can't think of anything that's N/A that would compare to a Viper, the supercharged cars have serious torque.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Torque delivery is the only reason my BMW i8 feels as quick as it does. Not a particularly powerful car but you'd guess it has 500 hp (until about 100 mph of course and it's very gear sensitive).

7. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Didn't Lee say his Hellcat made his Viper feel slow?

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rear wheel HP on my Kirkham was 620, torque 630.
    427 aluminum FE stroked to 483..
    2000 lbs. dry.

Not Even Shelby could top Shelby.

Nothing else comes close.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nice I just traded my Superformance cobra for my Ferrari. Nothing like big power in such a lightweight car. I think mine weighed around 2500 lbs.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own both and the Hellcat feels much quicker and maybe faster than the Viper. This of course is in a straight line.

The Gen 5 Vipers are better handling and can be considered a sports car with average sports car handling. Some people would say slightly below average sports car handling.

Both cars are quick and have great exhaust sounds. The older Vipers do not handle as well as the last generation 5 offerings. The older Vipers have a better look in my view, more aggressive. I love my new Viper!

The Hellcat does indeed make the Viper feel slow which it is not. If you drive one than the other you feel slower in the viper. They are both giants concerning power.

Someone posted the Hellcat is a "one trick pony" I think that is fair but I would add WHAT A TRICK!The Hellcat has a Long wheel base so not much of a handler but a joy to drive. The handling is attune to a modern sedan.

Non of these cars will out accelerate my Lamborghini Adventador . I think on a rolling start the Hellcat would have a good chance.

Best

Lee

11. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I found my 991 turbo, was the most violent, stomach turning, warp speed sensation I have ever felt in a road car, from a dig.

I used to launch the hell out of that car but could only repeat it a handful of times, before I wanted to vomit.

It puts the power down much better than any of those cars in your list, as the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile shows. That contributes to the violence, instead of the wheels spinning.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i think gtr on launch feels even more violent than ptt. totally twists your stomach around. not necessarily due to high torque motor which is less than 500 ft lbs, but the way its traction puts down the power

13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Dang Lee how many cars do you have? Pics?

14. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    #14 JOEA2, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Buddy currently I own 14 cars. My max cars amount was 16. I traded in three cars to buy the Acura SNX two months ago.

Buddy, please do not tell my wife :)
    Check my profile to see what cars I currently own.

Thank you for asking

Lee

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Not American Muscle, but if you are ever given the chance, test drive an Audi Rs7
    If you can find one that has had software added, you will not believe the power delivery...
    that V8 with Twin Turbo , plus AWD.. in a 4 door sedan..

oh and for Ferrari content... try launch control in a La Ferrari.. LOL

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    14 cars = legend. I currently have 6 and I feel a lunatic for it sometimes.

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Joe I owned a 12C for a short time, 3 weeks actually. I liked the switches that would change the personality of the car to suit the drivers feeling at the time.

You may be right on the Mclaren being faster. Were they not 600 hp versus the Hellcats 707?

My Hellcat is a manual, which is my preference. A manual Hellcat may be slower not sure.
    The automatic Hellcat is a quicker and faster car I would be surprised if the 12C won against the automatic Hellcat. But who konws anything is possible.

Funny story. A bunch of us guys bring our cars the Wendy's eat and talk cars. A guy was talking trash about the 2005 Ford GT I had at the time and how his Corvette would smoke the FGT. He challenged me and we dragged for titles. He lost and took off. I learned my lesson because if I had loss I would have given him my car. That as a side bar does not make him a bad person, just smarter than me.

If the ZR1 had existed at that time I would have lost the Ford GT. Ouch!

Lee

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I assume your post was on the Porsche twin Turbo. That car with the innovative adjusting veins is an awesome car. They go 0=60 in 2.9 seconds. They are also stunning car to look at.

Enjoy and I am jealous :)

Lee

20. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #20 threepedal, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Now Ludicrous + ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdD9_1hHIDE[/ame]

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 0-60 acceleration of these cars is amazing to me. 4 door nearly 5,000 pound car that can do 0-60 sub 2.5 seconds. Tesla's feel like teleportation more than acceleration due to the instant toque and lack of sound.

23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Let me tell you a story ...

My favorite all-time daily driver is still a Honda Civic. LOVE these damn cars. Currently, i'm driving an automatic. Here's what happens when you depress the accelerator pedal, in a Honda Civic with an automatic trans:

First second : NOTHING happens. It's like the computer is processing algorithms, to determine if your request for acceleration should be "granted".

Second second : The motor starts to rev. But, no increase in power is transmitted through that little torque converter yet ...

Third second : The car isn't accelerating yet ... because, naturally, it's in 17th gear (for better fuel efficiency).

Fourth second : The trans downshifts.

Fifth second : The car finally, reluctantly, starts to accelerate. After FIVE seconds. No joke.

I told this little story, to compare against a Tesla. Know what happens when you step on the accelerator in a Tesla? The car accelerates :) IMMEDIATELY! There's never been an automotive experience like it.

There's no doubt in my mind : if you measure the time it takes for a car to hit 60 or 70 mph ... measured from the moment your foot starts to depress the accelerator pedal ... nothing, and i do mean NOTHING, comes close to the Tesla.

24. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    New Z06, just drove one and was massively impressed. Much more fun than my 997 Turbo so I am actually in the process of trading it for a Z06. Reminded me of my old 96 Supercharged Viper. More exciting to drive then my Nissan GT-R also. Just a fantastic car that makes a glorious noise!

25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well plenty of things have more torque than a tesla...

also... the tesla just gets slower and slower and slower the faster you go... plus that insane off the line power isn't available when the battery starts to get depleted