Assetto Corsa | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SPEEDCORE, Mar 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: ;)

That seems to be something of a common theme with these things! I think I'm going to follow Rob's (?) advice for my first few races & start from the pitlane! Seems keeping out of trouble would be a decent way to start.

I guess that's where I'm a complete noob - I've always "felt" a car thru my arse! My office chair (albeit with a Butt Kicker installed) is a long way from a Challenge seat & a 4 wheel drift! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh yeah, also meant to mention; Cyberpower (the PC maker) are offering a free headset in return for an Amazon review - Done! :)

Seems we'll be able to BS once I get this thing going! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's not a bad plan to be honest...always a fun fight through the field, and without any damage!

I'm on a swivel office chair so your setup is like half a Ferrari to me! :D.

Guess it comes with experience how to 'feel' what the tires do through the wheel. Tire temp display is a huge help though, I have to admit...so much easier if you can keep your eye on temps and manage it that way. I've had some great races with tire management, especially battling GT2 cars when they've started on SS tires (really only good for quali), even with very quick drivers...they get a huge lead in the opening laps and then I came back on Mediums in a slower GT3 car...pound in huge laps in the closing stages and on occasion it has given me some nice wins, really good fun!

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #79 Fast_ian, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nah; Office chair here too.

*Awesome*!

I was going to wait for the new TV to show up, but am so "excited" right now I may have to move the screen off the Mac! (This one..... ;))

Anyone know exactly what "model" the pedals & wheel are? I'm struggling to find exact matches on their site. :(

Cheers,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I just noticed your thread in F1 section about this. Just updating the thread :eek:

Assetto Corsa - Red Pack on Steam

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVMazjn0ZE[/ame]

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Car list for console versions. (out next week)

Some of the newer DLC is missing...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQiF3vmQxPE[/ame]

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Any reviews and or thoughts about the PS4/X Box version vs the PC?

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    From little I've read people seem to like it compared to PC version. That said, I've completely dropped console gaming years ago so wasn't very interested in reading much beyond a snippet here and there.

10. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
  11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I ask because I already have a PS4. I am Mac based so I've been waiting to see if I can get away with playing Assetto on the PS4 or if I should buy a PC.

I think I'm going to wait until PS release their VR. If I go with a Rift I'll have to get a PC setup.

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I have all of the PS4 "must drive" games: Drive Club, Project Cars and now Assetto Corsa.

DC will always own the incredible graphics title, but it's an arcade racer (though somewhat on the realistic side). PCars is the first console sim, and as such it has great modes and variety, looks good and drives, I guess, somewhat predictably.

Assetto Corsa is a racing sim. Not much variety and no depth in its modes...that's not what it's about. It is just a Sim that focuses on the driving. No two cars drive the same (458 GT2 is my go-to car) but all of the cars are very drive-able once you spend time understanding them. The problem is this...if you are a casual racing gamer, you're going to realize how slow you are. I'm not even close on "easy" mode for events. To perform, you really must be on the knife's edge but remain under control. So for me, I spend a lot of time in time attack and hot laps modes...my skills need help lol.

Cars sound great! Really very detailed. Tracks are very realistic. Nordschliefe doesn't have neatly mowed grass on the edges...it looks like an untamed 12+ mile circuit (all tracks are laser scanned). You also 'feel' the variances in topography. I found myself surprised at how hilly Nordschliefe is...it's not that the other tracks don't replicate, but it doesn't come through the same way.

Graphics are a point of contention. You'll hear some slam AC for poor visuals...specifically tearing and frame rate issues. I haven't noticed as much, but I'm not looking either. I actually prefer the look of AC over PC.(neither can touch DC, but they spend more GB's on sim racing, not graphics).

If you're looking for a hard-core sim racer, you will like Assetto Corsa...but remember that you MUST adjust the steering settings and fine tune the cars or you will be asking why people like it so much

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The FXXK is rather wonderful to drive. The noise is excellent!

Less downforce than a GT3 car, especially noticable when driving through mid/high speed corners...but the power makes up for it. At Spa it matches GT2 cars...insane.

Hopefully they'll release the more powerful praga soon, on tracks like Spa it's just too slow.

488 GTB also in there, but haven't driven it much.

I do wish that they're developing GP2 esque cars. They've got the Tatuus but it's too slow. The Formula Renault 3.5 mod is awesome but never see anyone driving it on the servers...

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Had some fun yesterday. Missed the start as I pressed my record thing too late (had it set to 5 mins each time), so it starts in T1. Nice race with a respectful racer in the 488 GT3. Didn't really have a setup as I just got into the server, all I had time for was lower fuel, lower wings and throw on softs for a 1 shot at quali...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKBNMNZLZRM&feature=youtu.be

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Enjoying putting the SCG 003 through its paces. Still like the 458 gt2, but it doesn't have the grunt to hang with class front-runners on long straights...great in the corners though. 4th at Barcelona is best I've been able to squeeze so far.

Regarding the AI...people have claimed it to be "brutal"...I think you just pay for mistakes. I was late on the brakes in T1 and the car I had opened a 1.5 sec gap to conveniently caught me and nudged his way through (as I tried to squeeze him out to maintain my position). Pretty real result, imo

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't like the AI in this game. Maybe it's different for console, though. When I get into an online server I look for MR (minorating) servers typically...it's a user developed app that some servers run, if you get below a certain rating you won't get in or get kicked. Works quite well.

Of course the risk of an unforced crash gets higher online, but it's much closer to the real thing IMO. A lot of racers are quite respectful and don't crash into you, yet still push you much further than AI ever would.

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Okay, I change my mind. The AI is retarded...it will crash you out unprovoked, all the time, every time.

Gotta play bumper cars if you hope to actually win a race.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For me it's that they just do not overtake. There's no race going on. Project cars has retarded AI...it overtakes, makes mistakes etc which is great, but Open Wheel is just undriveable as they continuously crash into you. Not spacially aware at all. Assetto Corsa is on the opposite end...If you stick your nose in they jump out of the way!

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #94 Bas, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Had a fantastic few opening laps at Spa. Jumped into the sessions with very little time left in quali, so took fuel out, put on Softs and put less wing on the back...missed the quali by a second! Started 10th, feared the worst, but had great opening laps full of respectful racers. Had a sweet overtake in Eau Rouge at the 5 minute mark, if I may say so myself :D. I cut the video short, finished 3rd but made mistakes here and there, wasn't very exciting after that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmOlOei4WBs[/ame]

20. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    So I think it's been out for a bit now but is AC worth picking up? Right now I do a lot on Project Cars but have grown bored of it and the idiots that play.

Trying to decide if AC is worth getting or waiting for the next GranTurismo that was announced and hope it's good.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I removed Project Cars months ago. Full of 1st lap nutcases.

That has mostly gone from AC these days. Servers are much more grown up than before, look at MR rated servers (ABC, it says in the title). It happens occasionally but not nearly as much as it used to. Great, respectful racing mostly.

The things I did like with Pcars is that you can fill an online grid with AI cars, but then that's negated by the AI being ****ing idiots at the best of times...And varying weather was great.

22. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks for the info! I think I'll pick it up. I'm on PS4, is anyone else or all PC?

23. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    I am having a blast in AC. I don't mod as in making full new cars or tracks but I am deep into the data files for the physics model and I experiment with setups, tires etc. I am trying to get a vanilla 991 GT3 to feel right, there is a rough mod out there that I used as a starter.

There are some minor rough points. Common problems with shifting such as auto-shift not working or stopping to work until game restart (bug I guess) and refusal to downshift aggressively like a real driver would do (recent dumbing down I hear). Sounds might work for mods which you can mod-mod but then you have to un-mod the sound to get the factory cars to make sounds again. The tires seem to cool down very unnaturally. I usually start with blankets, so I am not affected by the slow tire warming that people complain about. Still, you can pretty much dragrace all around COTA and end up with cooler tires than before. As you can see, those are nitpicks that can be worked around with minor effort.

I found it stunning how closely the feel of the cars resembles the differences between those I drove in real life.

Recommendation: good force feedback(*) steering wheel. Pedals with a clutch pedal, or some other axis that you an abuse as a clutch. You can connect multiple controllers at the same time, so if you have a flightsim thing in addition to a wheel you can use the wheel for steering and have some thing like the handbrake on the flight joystick.

(*) with my steering wheel (Thurstmaster 430) the bloody game has more road information coming through the wheel than any real life car with electric powersteering support :mad:

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Red Pack is out on the consoles today. Can't wait to give the Ferrari F1 cars a spin around the Red Bull Ring!

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Does the ps4 version support psvr? If so,I highly recommend getting it as the pc version with an oculus is excellent. You can step out of the car and look at it (not recommended while the car is moving) and the interiors are incredibly detailed. Most fun for me so far is driving the ruf ctrl (yellowbird) add they've done a good job allowing you to hang the rear out faszination style, tire smoke and all.

I think iracing overall is better on pc,but AC is still fun and has a lot of fun cars to drive (miura, f40, ruf ctr, etc).