Paint, don't paint, change color? | FerrariChat

Paint, don't paint, change color?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Premoto1, Dec 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    #1 Premoto1, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi group. Just looking for a little feedback as I'm struggling with a decision. I have a very nice Euro dry-sump GTB that is currently red. In doing some refinishing of the black trim around the belt-line I found the car was originally painted marrone Dino. I actually kind of like that color. Someone went to a lot of trouble to change the car red. Even the insides of the doors are red. In any event. The red paint is quite nice. However, I really like originality and am considering painting the car it's original color. Having said that, I think a top notch paint job will run $25k-$30k. If I'm spending that much, maybe I should paint it one of the blues I really like. Would I be crazy to spend $30k on a brown paint job? Thanks for the feedback!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. petesamsonite

petesamsonite Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    Paint it back to original, do the dissadembly yourself and it will not be as expensive!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    If the paint is good I would leave it alone.

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    If you're going to paint it, paint it the color YOU really like. Blues look great.

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Someone went to all that trouble, why un-do it? Especially if it's good paint. Just think of what other things you could do to the car if you put $25k into it. They look good in all colors and what good is originality on a car that has been resprayed twice? It might even give the poor thing a complex.

6. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Keep it as is (gorgeous! You're very lucky!)

Or original if you really want to spend the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I think the money would be better spent cutting the roof open and installing a targa top...:)

8. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I think we have a winner!

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    It's your car...don't paint it for the next guy! As a guy who is spending more than $30K on my dry sumps' paint and body, I sure as hell wasn't going to take anyone's opinion into account when chosing a color. My car was originally blue and it was very difficult to say which blue it was, so I chose Blu Dino Met, even though others told me the blues they thought looked better...heck with that! By the way, it's your perfect small lip spoiler that'll be on my car! Best!

10. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Leave it as it is unless you are going to do a full restoration or if the paint is really bad. At least that's my choice staying with the current very good Rosso Corsa paint done some 25 years ago. My original was Rosso Met 302/C.

11. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    That is a lovely example. If the paint is good, I think I would leave it as it is....and I am not a red car guy.

Just a passing thought......A possible solution is to buy another one, in the blue you want. And sell the 'resale red' euro to fund the purchase. Your euro would sale well. Rather than being $10-20K in the hole on a paint job, you might break even with the swap, or even make money.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would not even entertain the thought of a repaint on that particular car.

Besides, originality is something that some people will pay more for when that day comes. I'm not one, but there are a lot out there that will. Remember once that thing is painted, you have forever lost one unique trait that fewer and fewer have as time passes.

13. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    The paint on the car really is pretty nice. I'm inclined not to paint the car mostly because I'm afraid it will morph into something much more than 'just a repaint'. When looking for a dry-sump I really didn't want a red one but I bought on condition rather than color and glad I did.

14. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    The car has already been painted. It started off Marrone. It already lost its originality.

15. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Leave it until it needs a repaint someday... then go back to the original color. For now just enjoy her awesomeness as she is :)

16. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #16 2281GT, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Marrone dino is one of the best colors by far for a GTB !

IF the car needs a new painting, then only the original color.
    IF the car doesn't really need a new painting, leave it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I absolutely love marrone.

I hate it was changed to red. :(

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Original color is not that important except on specific historic cars like race cars. A 250GTO should wear the color it was campaigned with (and that is often not its original color either).

Paint it what you like but if what you like is kind of weird it can be an obstacle in selling the car.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Exactly. Original paint is one thing, a repaint is quite different. Once that has been done it is a coat of paint away from what any owner wants it to be.

20. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Maybe in the US, but here in Europe it's different.
    If you want to buy a 308 repainted not original color, the seller has to go off the amount for a complete repaint. A (not original) repainted car is worth about 20-30k less than a car in original color - if it is the original paint or not doesn't matter, it has to be the original color.

21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As they say, a car is only original once. Repainting it the color it originally was will not make the paint "original." I'd just leave it as is.

22. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Can you pass Classiche if it's not in original colour scheme?

23. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    Germoglio frog green.