Mondial 3.2 Headlight switch problem | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Headlight switch problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ceb39, Sep 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    #1 ceb39, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have never driven my 87 Mondial at night, but I am in the process of getting it ready to be sold. I decided to check to see if the headlights work. Turned the knob and drew down the lever into position II and III. They sort of worked but were intermittent.

In the process of “fixing it” I pulled off the knob you turn, to turn the lights on. Fiddled with the switch circuit and found that the green wire solder connection had become unsoldered.

Found out that if I pushed the solder connection against the copper switch piece I could get the lights to come on. Which lights came on depended upon which of the three positions I move the lever to.

Decided to solder the green wire to the copper contact, then thought, if I can push the solder contact against the copper switch piece it would keep one of the three light positions on all the time, and run the battery down, so did not do that.

Looked inside the plastic knob piece you turn, to turn on the lights. Inside there is a piece, which I believe inserts itself between the copper contacts you see in the enclosed image. I believe its purpose is to keep contact from being made (no matter which of the three positons the lever might be in) and the lights turned off.

When the knob is turned the copper contacts come together and the lights come on.

The thing is I cannot remember is how the knob was oriented to produce the off setting.

Can someone look at their light switch and let me know, or better yet send a picture?

If someone has a better idea of how this switch works than what I described, I am open to suggests to get my lights functioning again.

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    The ball bearing goes in the hole with the spring

look inside the housing cover and you will see a "groove" it really only goes in one way that I remember

you can "dry" fit it/test it before attaching the locking collar

3. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Well guess what no ball bearing, but the spring is there.

By my measurements it looks like a 3mm ball bearing is needed. Will go to the hardware store and hope they have them.

I did dry test the fit, and you are correct it only goes on one way.

At the bottom of the housing there looks to be something which looks like the tip of a screwdriver blade. In the off position I assume that keeps the two contacts separated, and when turned the contacts mate and lights come on.

Well of to the hardware store. Will let you know what comes of this.

Thanks

4. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Don:

Thanks for you help. Would have never known about the ball bearing without you.

I measured the hole where the ball bearing goes and thought it was about 3mm. Bought a bearing above and below that size just in case. Well it turns out a 5/32" bearing work good.

Just had the operation reversed in my head. Thought when I rotated the switch away from me the light would come on, then turn off, with the reverse turning them on, and it does it with a nice snap.

Saved some money do it myself. Now complete the major next week and the car is off to a new owner.

Thanks again.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    No worries glad I could help.....

I know about the ball bearing because it pooped out when I took my cover switch off

Alden found the thread that has the pictures

7. lenoroc

lenoroc Rookie

May 15, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    JV
    Awesome post on the switch...A big Thanks..I just saved $500.....

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Go to a bicycle shop. THey sell those ball bearings for 25 cents. Get a few sizes and one of them will work.