Factory Options - 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo | FerrariChat

Factory Options - 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by jaa1359, Dec 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Did the factory offer any options?

- 288 GTO - Aside from choosing seats in all Nero or Nero with Rosso inserts?

- F40 - I believe all were originally Rosso Corsa with Rosso interior, correct? Were any other options offered?

- F50 - I believe only a select few paint colors were offered. How about interior color options? Again, were any other options offered?

- Enzo - Same as my F50 question.

Thank you to anyone who's able to offer any details.

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    With the 288 GTO you could have specified air conditioning and power windows.
    I have seen F50s with all black seats although black with red seat centres is the most common (as most were red exterior) also black with yellow seat centres (on some yellow cars).
    For the Enzo you had choice of brake caliper colour, choice of colour for the instrument dials, choice of full leather seats, full alcanrara seats or a mix of both. Interior trim colours came from Ferraris then standard range although some have special interiors.
    Break down of exterior colours for the F50 and Enzo can be found in other threads.

Paul

3. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

With the F40, I think you could specify suspension lifter on the later cars (I suspect most if not all 1992 euro cars had them), sliding windows (after the wind down windows were introduced) and seat sizes. Haven't seen any concrete documentation supporting the above however.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Weren't F40s available with three different size seats?

Matt

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I noticed with the F40 that some have a lower section added underneath the main dash, but that may have been just an upgrade during the production run?

Always wondered if anyone in Europe ever purchased a US spec car from new?

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    What would be the upside of owning a car with illegal lights & fuel tank etc ?

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Additional safety measures may have been seen as important to such a buyer back then, tanks were not illegal for use in Europe, many have since gone over to US spec metal tanks and the tail lights are hardly a big deal to change.

Only addition needed would have been rear foglights.

A US spec example was for sale in Italy not that long ago, no ideas if it was a re import though.

8. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    Nice thread btw! From my knowledge:

GTO - only red, seat inserts in black or red (red could be leather or Nomex), air conditioning and power windows. The car with golden gearbox was apparently updated after delivery, but by the factory.

F40 - only red, Four-point harnesses were optional. Lexan sliding windows were standard for the first 50 cars. After that they became an option. You could ask for the "LM" kit, with big turbos and 680 HP, but I don't think any car was actually ordered with the kit. All other things were changes made during production.

F50 - Two shades of red, black, yellow or silver. Seat inserts in red, black or yellow (for yellow cars only). Four-point harnesses. The blue one is apparently factory....

Enzo - I believe it could be any colour from the Ferrari palette at the time. The same for the interior. I have never seen an Enzo with factory alcantara interior though... Four-point harnesses. The titanium wheels from Todt's car, the carbon spoiler from the Pope's car, electric windows in Schumacher's car, and the car with the yellow roof were "factory" apparently.

For all the cars, it is not clear to me if the "sport" exhaust systems (made by Ansa and Tubi depending on the car) were actually installed by the factory or after delivery though.

Another thing I was told by some people in the factory years ago is that you could actually order any car with the gold wheels, if you were in the good books :) Apparently they always considered the gold wheels a heritage touch.

Joe and Marcel can actually answer better all those questions.

9. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

Thanks for all the info. These topics fascinate me. Hopefully Joe and Marcel can add more data. Merry Christmas.

10. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    On a side note, back in the 70's and 80's, if you wanted a truly customized factory sports car, there were not many options out there. Only maybe Porsche or Lamborghini would actually built a unique car for you, if you had the means and the right network of course. I've seen a black Countach built from factory with gold pinstripes, not to mention the Haiti car and all the Wolf variations. On the Porsche side, they built a road 935... Those btw, were the truly unique custom factory cars... The 70's and 80's were really great times...

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Excellent thread.

I think most things are covered!

12. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #12 Maranello Guy, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One customer commissioned custom Enzo badge imitating Enzo's signature placed in the back of the car.

It was well accepted and offered as an option later on as far as I know. Not sure if it was offered by the factory or by the Carrozzeria Zanasi directly but it was semi official option.

This particular one comes from well known Enzo wrapped in genuine carbon fibre.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Great info. Thanks.

14. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I have a non-USA 1990 f40...If this is a dumb question I apologize in advance...how does one find out what size the seats are...I can't see a label or size anywhere.

ODK

15. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Run the chassis number on the Ferrari programme at your local dealership, I believe it shows you when the car was delivered, date and other information.

16. stocky

stocky Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Bolton , England.
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I was once told at a Ferrari Concours show that all Enzo,s came with black calipers and therefore non black ones have been repainted ? It's a mystery ..

17. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

I believe this is true.

18. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    #18 supermafy, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    GTO, officially only red, optionals were: A/C, power windows, Hi-Fi, central locking and rollbar.
    F40: officially only red paint, optionals: glass windows, covered doors, active suspensions, front lifter, two types of frontsize (light and ultralight).
    F50: officially only red and yellow maybe. optionals? insert and leather...
    Enzo: at the beginnig claimed only red yellow and black

19. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    We have one of those "LM" cars in Sweden, but i've also heard that the "LM" claiming of this car is not correct.

20. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Interesting. Thank you. I had previously understood that the lifter works on all four corners - was there a front lift option?
    Also, what type of active suspension do you refer to? First time I hear about that being an option.

21. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    Very interesting. I've been hunting this unicorn for years! Do you have more info about it?

22. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    What is exactly the "frontsize"?

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So much misinformation creeping into this thread...

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    GTOs did not have a Hi-Fi as an option, they came wired with speakers, no radio, that was the dealer or owner's discretion.

GTO's did not have a roll-bar option.

F40s came standard with glass windows, they were not an option. The first 50 or so had sliding Lexan units, and these could be specified later on as an option.

F40s did not have active suspension as an option.

F40s did not have a front-lifter option, there was an option for a lifting system that raised all 4 corners simultaneously.

What is frontsize light & ultralight? At any rate, no such option existed.

The color assignations fir the F50 & Enzo you state are incomplete.

25. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    all I know is exactly how you also mentioned Joe. I was wondering how come I've never seen a gto with a roll bar. .. Plus, regarding the colors for the F50, I've always assumed to be as I mentioned before. What about this "LM" from Sweden? I've never heard of it. Have you?