BBi throwout bearing | FerrariChat

BBi throwout bearing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, Dec 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I was cleaning up the clutch housing, clutch etc in overall resto and I realized that the BBi seems to have a pretty unconventional throwout bearing function or am I delude?
    It would appear that the bearing is always in contact with the pressure plate as there has to be loading on the internal spring of the slave cylinder to compress it. I have not seen a clutch setup in any other vehicle that does not have some clearance off of the pressure plate so that the throwout bearing is not always "engaged"
    Am I missing something or is this why the bearing is so beefy and ...expensive.

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    There are other vehicles on the road with the release bearing in light contact with clutch fingers. It should not be pre-loaded .

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pretty common actually. Few cars have had an adjustable clutch for some time and if it is self adjusting, it is a constant contact like the BB.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They sure have a boxer owner over a barrel with a release bearing price....

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Half price if you happen to be in Maranello and ask around.

6. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Fortunately, mine is in good health but I do have a cousin in Bologna who could look around if needed...

7. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    I need mine replaced if someone has connections in Italy. A group buy would be good if enough interest. I was quoted alot to replace here in the states.